Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,566 times

Advertisements

Maybe its becuase people Gamble thier money right out of thier wallets until they are broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 08:38 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof_ View Post
Chest are you suggesting here that it is the city and it's environment that is keeping these people homeless?

Those same opportunities exist for everyone and yet many make the CHOICE to avoid them. It seems you are suggesting that the very presence of drink, drug and gambling makes it impossible for homeless people to better themselves.

Whether it be drink, drug or gambling, those people make a choice to imbibe. Drugs do not administer themselves, drinks dont pour and bets do not make themselves. I am sorry but I think that statement is ridiculous. What excuse do you have for the homeless who dont drink or gamble or is it your position that they arent homeless unless they do?

I am definitely not blaming the city or its officials for homelessness. I also don't think that it is impossible for someone who is homeless in Las Vegas to get back on their feet whether or not they are gamblers or alcoholics.

Homelessness is a complicated situation and every person's respective situation is unique. Many of them have substance abuse and gambling problems, and Las Vegas isn't particularly kind to people with these types of problems. I understand your argument- each individual is responsible for their own choices. However, I think it's a lot more complicated than that. It's a lot easier to end up homeless when there's a place to gamble your rent money and it's open 24 hours and the drinks are flowing as fast as they can be swallowed. That's all I was saying. I don't know how anyone could disagree.

Last edited by Chest Rockwell; 11-22-2007 at 10:06 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 PM

40 posts, read 285,737 times
You can only blame the person. The only reason why I asked those questions is because if there was low income housing then maybe my next move would be back to Las Vegas. Only this time I will have more fun. I will have a degree and hope to expand on that. I went to rehab out there but that didn't work. In order for me to get off drugs I had to make my own mind up to stay off. No AA or NA brainwashing involved.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flame View Post
You can only blame the person. The only reason why I asked those questions is because if there was low income housing then maybe my next move would be back to Las Vegas. Only this time I will have more fun. I will have a degree and hope to expand on that. I went to rehab out there but that didn't work. In order for me to get off drugs I had to make my own mind up to stay off. No AA or NA brainwashing involved.

I agree. Stay away from the cultic brain washing of AA or NA. Perhaps you'll consider picking up a drink again. But, stay off the drugs!

Old 11-26-2007, 01:17 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Consider this.....it's now November....Where would you rather be homeless.....sunny upstate NY.....Chicago....Milwaukee.....or 79 degree Las Vegas.
Good point. Living in Kennesaw,GA(some 20 to 30 minutes from Atlanta, I have seen homeless people in Kennesaw. Right now at this moment in time, the weather is dreary and cool, but it sounds better for a homeless person to live in Atlanta than upstate NY or Chicago considering winters(ATL even has some days in January when temps hit 70. Normal daytime temps for January are between 50-55 degrees F.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: