Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 AM

325 posts, read 441,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Las Vegas Public Works Department has begun testing a newly installed street light system around City Hall with wide-ranging capabilities including audio and video recording...

The company’s lights, which also offer a “Homeland Security” feature, received major backlash in 2011 following reports of the system’s federally-funded roll out across the country. The feature allows for emergency government announcements which will likely include such slogans as “See Something, Say Something” as well as other irrationally fear-based messages already seen in Wal Mart’s DHS-run “telescreens.”

Read more: Las Vegas Installs "Intellistreets" Light Fixtures Capable Of Video Recording
Smile

Even worse, from the comments:
Quote:
Mathius · 20 hours ago
They have been developing these things to have IR and heat sensors. They are WiFi capable which means they can be used to soak up all personal information on any WiFi capable cell phone and deliver to any depository desired by the controller. These things are a really evil product and the owner of the company has admitted on camera to all the really invasive potential of his invention and that he will continue to take DHS monies to make them even more invasive.

Last edited by Tarara Boomdea; 11-09-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 11:10 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,549,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
Smile
How about we tackle lights that never turn green and left turn lanes that turn red after 1.4 seconds first?

Old 11-09-2013, 02:34 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,052,510 times
A lot is true, but the Wifi part is total FUD.

Your Wifi devices definitely don't transmit any personal information until you connect to the device.

Unless you think your neighbor's with all their Wifi access points can do the same thing?

It's probably obamacare's fault.

Quote:
Smile

Even worse, from the comments:

Old 11-09-2013, 02:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Obamacare is reading my health information through my cell phone and tablet? I knew there was more to it. I just knew it!

OP. If you have nothing to hide the gathering of info you are so worried about is of no concern. If you are a criminal then yes, you should be careful. If the feds want to follow me around all day I don't care. They need to be prepared to be bored out of their skulls, though.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM

Default Show me your papers

Quote:
Tek_Freek said:
If you have nothing to hide the gathering of info you are so worried about is of no concern.
Oy.

Not worried, not a criminal. Just like my privacy. Isn't that weird? Suspicious, even. I must be hiding something - I have no facebook account!!!

Old 11-09-2013, 07:26 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,474,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
How about we tackle lights that never turn green and left turn lanes that turn red after 1.4 seconds first?

Hahaha reminded me of a post I've made a few days ago on one of the local news sites.

I said on that particular post, countries all around the world are constructing underground rail and under the water rail line while our Clark County commissioners were discussing about taking off news/smut racks off the Strip. Instead of discussing constructing a rail line in particular, connecting the monorail from the airport to the Strip and further to Downtown Vegas, they were too preoccupied with the news/smut racks!!

Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Quote:
Oy.

Not worried, not a criminal. Just like my privacy. Isn't that weird? Suspicious, even. I must be hiding something - I have no facebook account!!!
The problem with your premise is that as soon as you leave your house your privacy is at risk with or without the things you post about. Do you pay for everything with cash? Do you use a cell phone or tablet over WiFi at McDonalds or Starbucks, or any place other than at home?

All of these things impinge on your privacy. Heck the fact that you're posting here tells me that you are on the Internet which in many ways impinges on your privacy.

Have you Googled yourself? I'm guessing that your name, address, city, age, significant others name, etc is easily found by anyone that you do business with. Even the clerk at the grocery store if they know your name and the general area you live in. All they have to do is look. Once they know that they can search city databases online and find out even more about you.

Privacy is a rarity in this day and age and is a hard-won battle. I've been fighting it a long time and it is very hard to find me on the Internet. I like it that way. The people watching me through those cameras don't bother me. Can you imagine how boring that job must be when tracking someone like me? What a snore.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,549,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Obamacare is reading my health information through my cell phone and tablet? I knew there was more to it. I just knew it!

OP. If you have nothing to hide the gathering of info you are so worried about is of no concern. If you are a criminal then yes, you should be careful. If the feds want to follow me around all day I don't care. They need to be prepared to be bored out of their skulls, though.
You don't have to be some hardened criminal or guy sitting at home with a tin foil hat to know that where it begins is never where it ends.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:13 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,035,578 times
^^ This. (Tried to rep ya, but I've got to be a little promiscuous first)

Old 11-12-2013, 11:33 PM

Default More...

STREET SPIES: New downtown light system capable of more than illumination - Las Vegas MyNews3 - KSNV

What Happens In Vegas, Doesn't Stay In Vegas (Anymore) | Zero Hedge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: