Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:35 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times

Advertisements

I am looking to add an additional bedroom about 335sq ft (main floor) to my home in Henderson. A check of my existing HVAC system built in 2000 shows that the builder used one just big enough for my home now.

Up in Washington I know some people who had a ductless one room system added but if it gets really hot it leaks onto the floor. The area where they live in gets quite hot in the summer and the manufacturer claims the unit isn't meant for continuous use.

Since it's hot all summer long in Vegas is there a system/brand that I should be looking at or for that matter staying away from? I think they call these systems, Mini split or ductless systems.

Also would I be better off buying the system online and then have a local installer put it in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
I've put in two mini splits myself (replacing one after the original broke). I called around, but I was never able to find an installer who would install a unit I purchased online. I am sure you could find someone on Craigslist, but if the compressor fails during the manufacturer's warranty, they're going to charge you labor to replace it, and it's not going to be cheap. The repair costs on the mini splits is very high compared to the cost to simply replace the whole unit. When they break, you simply replace them.

I got quoted $3800 to install a one ton LG mini split heat pump (heat and cool) from a local HVAC company. That included a five year warranty.

I bought the same LG mini split (they come pre-charged with refrigerant unless you have a longer than usual lineset), all the tools needed (vacuum pump, micron gauge, manifold gauge, nitrogen tank and regulator) and I paid right around $2,000 for everything. Plus I now have all the tools. This one has been installed and running for two years now.

The original mini split I installed was a Mitsubishi Mr Slim and it lasted for 6 years before the compressor grounded out (a big ladder fell on the condenser right before it failed, so I personally think that had something to do with it). The repair cost on that (which would have been to replace the entire condenser) was going to be $2,400 and include I think a one year warranty, so you can see it's just not worth it to repair.

I had no HVAC experience prior to the first install I did. It's not that difficult and everything you need to know is online (or you can ask!). Since then I've replaced my auto HVAC as well (works the same), so the experience served me well.

The downside is I essentially have no warranty on my units. My fear was that I would get a DOA type unit and I'd be stuck since I didn't use a certified installer, but I felt that was a worthwhile tradeoff.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM

Which LG model number did you buy? Are you finding it a better unit than the Mitsubishi? How quiet are they in the middle of the night when everything else is relatively quiet?

Last edited by Packrat1; 11-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,205 times
A couple of years ago, I had to install a new HVAC system in our then-newly purchased home. As I recall from the extensive research I did then, the quality of the installation is more important than the quality of the equipment. This is not to say a homeowner should haphazardly select the equipment. But the first concern should be to find a qualified, competent installer. If that means you have to buy the equipment the installer sells, it is a better choice than getting a "deal" on the equipment online and not having it expertly installed.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
The proper install procedure for any split style AC system should involve a nitrogen pressure test overnight first and then vacuuming down to at least 500 microns, breaking that vacuum with a couple psi of nitrogen, repeating the vacuum down to 500 microns and breaking with nitrogen, and repeating the process a third time again (this is a triple evac). This takes awhile. Most installers don't bother because it takes too much time. Most of the installers I've seen don't even use a micron gauge.

There are good installers out there, but there are plenty of bad ones too.

I don't know the model number of the LG off the top of my head. It was an 18 SEER 12,000 BTU heat pump model. Both the Mitsubishi and LG both seem to perform about the same. Both are very quiet. The Mitsubishi seems to have a slightly better reputation when I researched online, but the LG seems to have a good reputation and is a little cheaper.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 PM

Thank you WestieJeff that is exactly the information I am looking for.

I will most definitely direct the installer to follow the procedure you outlined exactly. If they won't then I will find another installer.

Was the Mitsubishi Slim Jim unit a ceiling vent or was it a wall vent? From what I can see the LG model is a wall vent. I did see a model from LG that the vent was actually a picture frame to hide the vent. Not sure if that is a gimmick or if it really worked.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:30 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,356 times
Just be careful if you buy one online, you need to buy a good name brand unit. eBay has quite a few no name mini splits but when you have warranty issues, no one is there to help.
WestieJeff installed his the proper way and that counts for future reliability.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
I am looking to add an additional bedroom about 335sq ft (main floor) to my home in Henderson. A check of my existing HVAC system built in 2000 shows that the builder used one just big enough for my home now.

Up in Washington I know some people who had a ductless one room system added but if it gets really hot it leaks onto the floor. The area where they live in gets quite hot in the summer and the manufacturer claims the unit isn't meant for continuous use.

Since it's hot all summer long in Vegas is there a system/brand that I should be looking at or for that matter staying away from? I think they call these systems, Mini split or ductless systems.

Also would I be better off buying the system online and then have a local installer put it in?
Since most hvac systems here are oversized, you may be able to utilize the system you have for that additional 335 sq ft.
How big is your house and what size unit do you have?
Dont let someone tell you that the rule of thumb is 400 sq ft per tone, it's usually wrong.
I'm freezing our house at 611 sq ft per ton and it works great.

As far as the mini split unit, I also meant to mention that most reputable contractors prefer to only install equipment that they sell you. If you find someone to install it on the side, they may not take the extra steps needed to properly install it. When it comes to split system setups, there are a lot of little steps required as WestieJeff mentioned and if any of these steps are skipped, compressor life and unit effectiveness goes out the window.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:01 AM

687 posts, read 1,944,174 times
Default Overpriced

I really like the idea of the mini split systems. They can be used for a/c and heat. They are relatively easy to install. We had one installed in an apartment overseas. I paid around 700 dollars for the unit and another 150 to have it installed. It took the guy about three hours. All the department stores sell dozens of the mini split systems there. Unfortunately, here in the states, they are just starting to gain popularity. Once they catch on, I'm sure the prices will drop. Our Costco has a display for a Mitsubishi unit, but still the installed price is close to 3k. Much to high, IMHO.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
I really like the idea of the mini split systems. They can be used for a/c and heat. They are relatively easy to install. We had one installed in an apartment overseas. I paid around 700 dollars for the unit and another 150 to have it installed. It took the guy about three hours. All the department stores sell dozens of the mini split systems there. Unfortunately, here in the states, they are just starting to gain popularity. Once they catch on, I'm sure the prices will drop. Our Costco has a display for a Mitsubishi unit, but still the installed price is close to 3k. Much to high, IMHO.
Yeah, very common overseas and they do work great. What you have to remember price wise, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, Sanyo, etc, are all expensive quality units and some are inverter driven in that they regulate the speed of the compressor in relation to the cooling load needed. The inverter units are quite a bit more in price than the standard units but extremely efficient and down right cheap to operate.
There are many no name chinese mini split brands that can be had here but they are built quite poorly and when you have warranty issues, the product distributor is no where to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas