Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,559 times

Advertisements

My twenties will end in just two years and with my history with major depression and suicidal attempts plaguing most of my twenties which I have since recovered from and ready to move away from I feel that it's important that I end it on the best note possible. I lived in Minnesota for six years and never felt like such a stranger to my own country in my life. Frequent harrassment, discrimination (very conservative place against outsiders and gays, etc). Sure there is gay marriage but that doesn't automatically change how one is treated. Not to mention it's so damn cold here that my hands literally freeze in minutes and hurts badly when I get inside as if I was just stabbed with knives. My body can't handle the cold anymore as I am very heat tolerant. The point is I'm simply miserable here and feel sufficated. It's time that I end this era of my life to take control of it in a new era. I think at my age it's truly important that I venture out to see new things in the world. To make a point I want to end my twenties in Las Vegas not to gamble but to experience a new beginning in a new city with tons of nightlife to explore. I'm very shy indeed but this cross country move would be a test to start fighting it. I will visit at the end of next summer to see if this is truly what I want but I just wanted to know what are some safe areas to move to? If I do get the courage to move on with my life there my interests is highly in photography and want to go to school for it although I don't know for which field. Possibly photojournalism but who knows...so I was just curious is to the safest neighborhoods as I'm looking to move into an apartment, is Las Vegas gay friendly, and just to get your opinion do you think it's unusual for an middle aged 28 year old guy like move cross country to find a new life elsewhere when I know what I want out of life I wont get here? I ask cause I don't know what the world is like. Never had many friends if any for 97% of my life so I don't want to sound stupid when I say I seriously need to add some adventure in my life to help keep me living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,534,267 times
Where are you from originally? Was it hard for your family to come to terms with your sexuality? I ask because if they are accepting it's best for you to be around your family and friends for support.

Las Vegas isn't anti gay but it doesn't have a strong gay community. If you want to live in a city with a strong support circle for LGBT, I've heard Portland, Oregon is good. It may not be the warm paradise of California gay friendly cities such as San Francisco and Hollywood but it has the upside of affordable cost of living.

Last edited by ddrhazy; 12-17-2013 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,679,052 times
I get very upset how many homosexual men are driven to have mental problems by bigoted insecure idiots. A friend of mine moved to Minnesota from Miami and met an awesome boyfriend and they have been together since 2004. My friend is 5'10" tall 260 # all muscle, and his BF is 6'9" tall, about the same weight so that may be why nobody hassles them. They live in a rural suburb and have good incomes. In Miami my friend was frustrated with the gay scene and the Latin American guys who he did not find attractive. So a long move may be just what you need. Another friend of mine who lives in rural Nevada has gay friends in LV but they are probably moving to Colorado.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:47 PM

421 posts, read 896,468 times
I think that the important thing is not to make friends with just people in the gay community, but to also make friends with others as well. I have never seen any hostility to gay people here and I feel that the people who live here have a live and let live mentality.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,744,120 times
My cohort members of my family...that is first cousins are about 15% gay. All guys. The next generation is similar but both sexes. Nobody has been driven out of their head...though some have done some driving of others.

So I don't really know that gays getting a hard time have psychiatric problems. I suspect maybe those with psychiatric problems decide they are gay.

I don't think Las Vegas gives a damn whether you are gay or straight. But it is a place where you can feed addictions. So if you ain't in pretty good control - don't come. Las Vegas will sell you whatever you are buying.

At 28 and still loose i would think something with structure. Monastic or perhaps evangelical. Or off to the fringe and walk on coals.

You are quite welcome to try Las Vegas but if you don't cut it the best outcome is a greyhound ticket to Sacramento.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,057,616 times
I agree with Mollie. A famous songwriter once said, " It's nobody's business what I'm doing with my penis, unless they are sitting on my lap." Like most Las Vegans, I agree with this statement.

If you have a history of depression though, I would strongly caution you about moving here because our mental health infrastructure is a mess.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,057,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
My cohort members of my family...that is first cousins are about 15% gay. All guys. The next generation is similar but both sexes. Nobody has been driven out of their head...though some have done some driving of others.

So I don't really know that gays getting a hard time have psychiatric problems. I suspect maybe those with psychiatric problems decide they are gay.

I don't think Las Vegas gives a damn whether you are gay or straight. But it is a place where you can feed addictions. So if you ain't in pretty good control - don't come. Las Vegas will sell you whatever you are buying.

At 28 and still loose i would think something with structure. Monastic or perhaps evangelical. Or off to the fringe and walk on coals.

You are quite welcome to try Las Vegas but if you don't cut it the best outcome is a greyhound ticket to Sacramento.
You've got to be a bad-ass to survive in the desert. This town chews up the weak and spits them out.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,744,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You've got to be a bad-ass to survive in the desert. This town chews up the weak and spits them out.
We ought to start a thread. But in my opinion one can get by reasonably well in Las Vegas if relatively free of major addiction. It is that uncontrollable desire for something that kills you here. We will sell you whatever it is you want...

If you are laid back and lacking irrational goals you can coast along and do just fine...and if the gods of probability turn on you we will likely help you.

You don't really need to be tough. You just need to be able to control or modulate your needs.

Now I am going to go off and eat sushi...the nice raw flesh of the fish feeding my soul...

Old 12-18-2013, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,559 times
My mother knows and we are on a no speaking basis but mostly due to simply her not wanting nothing to do with me. It has nothing much about my sexuality and simply put it they only "talk down" to me so I don't put up with it anymore.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:36 PM

24 posts, read 33,367 times
Vegas is a very gay friendly place. You'll love it here. Only other place I can think of would be the Bay Area, but here you can live much easier for 1/4th the price. Make the move before any other suicidal attempts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas