Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:01 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxro View Post
It's great that I'm already getting interest in this thread. I just don't have a good idea of scale yet. I haven't been outside of the downtown/convention center/strip area yet. I watch countless hours of Las Vegas filmed television shows. I've seen a lot of suburbia on that Counting Cars program, as well as Pawn Stars.

Is there like a main commercial corridor in Henderson, or is it more like strip malls scattered about? I've heard there is a Chinatown in Summerlin, but maybe I'm mistaken. I know little to nothing about any other surrounding areas, other than a few tidbits I've picked up on the forum here.

Also, I'm not staying in Lake Las Vegas for any reason other than it's the only place (that doesn't look like a dump) with reasonable rates the weekend I'm coming. I've got to stay outside of town because of that ridiculous EDC thing they do in the summer now that triples the price of a downtown hotel. Thanks a lot, weird raver kids!
Chinatown is not in Summerlin. I can just see some poor newbie driving around all those traffic circles in Summerlin looking for the Pho joints, lol. To get to Chinatown you can take the Spring Mountain exit from the 15 and head west.

While you are there, if you keep heading west you'll encounter the newer part of Spring Valley, which has some neighborhoods for you to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:20 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Given the notorious Henderson police force, I deem you brave to stay out there!

Take a drive through the some of the older established inner city neighborhoods, for a change of pace, like Huntridge, Winchester, Paradise Palms, Scotch 80's.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:41 PM

111 posts, read 166,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Given the notorious Henderson police force, I deem you brave to stay out there!

Take a drive through the some of the older established inner city neighborhoods, for a change of pace, like Huntridge, Winchester, Paradise Palms, Scotch 80's.
Does Henderson have a bad rap with their police? I live in the Seattle area, and Seattle cops are some of the worst, from what I understand, when it comes to harassment and whatnot.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into a political thread, but this is interesting stuff. I gotta say, I hardly ever even see the Vegas Metro cops when I am out in the more touristy areas.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:58 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Does Henderson have a bad rap with their police? I live in the Seattle area, and Seattle cops are some of the worst, from what I understand, when it comes to harassment and whatnot.

Not that I'm trying to turn this into a political thread, but this is interesting stuff. I gotta say, I hardly ever even see the Vegas Metro cops when I am out in the more touristy areas.
Deadly Force | Las Vegas Review-Journal

We've had a number of questionable police shootings in the valley. (Less so this year) The above link discusses Metro, but the Henderson PD has had their share as well. They beat the crap out of some diabetic guy, thinking he was a drunk, shot an ice cream lady who had a butter knife, etc.

They have a tough job, and God bless the ones who maintain their professionalism. The PD grew rapidly when the valley's population expanded into a boom, and there are a lot of young guys on the force. There are also some outstanding cops on the force. I have a motto when it comes to cops:

The less contact I have with law enforcement, the better my life.

They probably feel the same way.

Feliz Navidad.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Henderson is rated as one of the safest cities in the country. So the Henderson PD must be doing something right.

Quote:

Old 12-25-2013, 12:14 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Henderson is rated as one of the safest cities in the country. So the Henderson PD must be doing something right.
People are quick to jump on the few mistakes that police make. They don't take into consideration the hundreds of thousands of incidents when things go perfectly.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:19 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
My take on the Henderson Police, too many gated communities out there, not enough for them to keep busy, and what's that a recipe for?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Increased donut sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My take on the Henderson Police, too many gated communities out there, not enough for them to keep busy, and what's that a recipe for?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 PM

111 posts, read 166,295 times
Smile Classic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Increased donut sales?
<Insert rim shot here>

Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
People are quick to jump on the few mistakes that police make. They don't take into consideration the hundreds of thousands of incidents when things go perfectly.
Yeh, but most of us live under the same scrutiny. You dont hear about all the great meals a restaurant serves, but one severed finger...

You dont hear about how long a bridge stood for and how many cars passed over it, but once it falls...

How many flights traverse the globe everyday without incident? But one failed landing gear...

So yes they will be scruntinized as they should be. They take an oath and prop themselves up and call us "civilians" and they swear that they are there to protect society and they hold themselves up to a higher standard so I have no problem with them being called out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas