Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 PM

2,542 posts, read 2,736,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

I have these Honeywell switches installed all over the house. The outside lights (and Christmas lights, when applicable) are set from dusk until dawn. (The user programs longitude and latitude into the switch, and the switch knows sunrise and sunset based on location -- no light sensor required.) And then I have other room lights turn on and off at random intervals. It sure beats having a timer.

Where do you get those and what are they called?
I need some.

Never mind I think I found them on Amazon. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Quote:
Where do you get those and what are they called?
I need some.
Right here!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ymore_mine.jpg

Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 PM

2,542 posts, read 2,736,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Oh yea a good old mine. Plant those around the house.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

I have these Honeywell switches installed all over the house. The outside lights (and Christmas lights, when applicable) are set from dusk until dawn. (The user programs longitude and latitude into the switch, and the switch knows sunrise and sunset based on location -- no light sensor required.) And then I have other room lights turn on and off at random intervals. It sure beats having a timer.
I have the exact same switch, works perfectly. I installed LED bulbs outside so the energy usage from leaving lights on all night is negligible. I've done quite a bit to make my house look much less appealing to break into than my neighbors'.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
I have the exact same switch, works perfectly. I installed LED bulbs outside so the energy usage from leaving lights on all night is negligible. I've done quite a bit to make my house look much less appealing to break into than my neighbors'.

That's the whole idea. It's like running from zombies -- you don't have to be fastest runner. Just don't be the slowest.

Everyone here should pick up a few of these Honeywell switches. And Honeywell should get off their ass and pay me for the endorsement.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Many moons ago, I was living in a very sketchy area. One night I heard something in the courtyard. I was alone with my son because my husband worked graveyard. The motion-sensor floodlights that we had installed kicked on, and when I looked outside, my gate had been opened (no way it was the wind) and was still swinging from whoever high-tailed it out of there when the floodlights came on.

I think the floodlights cost us all of $35 to put in. A sound investment.

Now I have a large dog, so my house is not burglar friendly. Dogs are great deterrents, even if they are not the guard-dog type. Criminals are not interested in dealing with a barking animal that might arouse suspicion.

OP, it sounds like your burglary was an inside job and if that's the case, wouldn't that person's fingerprints in your house be worthless in court anyway? I mean, if the defense can say, 'My client has been in this house many times.. etc"?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

OP, it sounds like your burglary was an inside job and if that's the case, wouldn't that person's fingerprints in your house be worthless in court anyway? I mean, if the defense can say, 'My client has been in this house many times.. etc"?
I don't think this is necessarily an inside job. There are thieves who are good at figuring out when a home is unoccupied, without knowing the owner.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't think this is necessarily an inside job. There are thieves who are good at figuring out when a home is unoccupied, without knowing the owner.
I need to re-read his / her post, but I think OP said that he or she knew who did it, and that the perp knew about stuff (like the hidden compartment) that only an insider would know?

Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Better to just "freeze" your credit, which will be free with a police report.

Good idea and you can do it quickly right over the phone. Let all your neighbors know what happened also so they can be on the lookout. My mother in law lives in a small gated community and several houses were targeted over a couple of weeks. It had to be someone familiar with the people coming & going in there. You should think about installing some cameras they aren't very expensive (I love peoples' expressions when the see my cameras).

My husband likes to go on AlertID. People report all kind of things going on in their neighborhood cop events, break in's, pictures of "Suspicious" door knockers, etc. Site sends emails when someone reports something in your area I guess.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 PM

305 posts, read 294,791 times
You need secret cameras, but do not tell to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: