Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,080,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There is no doubt that coyotes can easily handle 6 or even 8 foot walls. Around here however they don't. The reason is that things that eat coyotes live in half the yards around here. I would also be very skeptical of a 50 lb. coyote. I have seen a couple of dozen over the last 15 years. The biggest I have seen was a nursing female in Spanish Trail that might have gone 30 lbs. Most are the size of my dog or a little bigger...25 or 30 lbs. I believe that is typical for the western coyote.

The cats here all climb trees and houses. So unless trapped they are going to get away.

Again all the problems we have had around here have dealt with other dogs.
The coyotes in my neck of the woods were very scarce for a couple years but now they're back and a lot bigger than before. Still not 50 lbs but Ive seen a few 30+ pounders. I know for a fact they can scale a 6' wall because when I scared one that's exactly what he/she did.

The jackrabbit population got out of control for a bit, but with the coyotes back I don't see em anymore. Last year they were inside the gate every night when I'd come home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 02:02 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,990,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I dont know about cats cause I'm not a chic, but good luck getting my dog outside in the summer. He just looks at me like I'm insane.
Plenty of real men keep cats - it has nothing to do with being "feminine".

Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My animals are not outside without me regardless of temp. Too many dangerous critters
That would include human beings.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM

15,818 posts, read 14,453,901 times
I don't think it's so much the people directly, but people in cars. Cars are a major predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That would include human beings.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 PM

195 posts, read 333,149 times
Quote:
I dont know about cats cause I'm not a chic, but good luck getting my dog outside in the summer. He just looks at me like I'm insane.
Come on, dude. Man up. It's ok to have cats if you are secure with your masculinity. I am a truck driver, and do not want for testosterone. Cats are great companions and pets whatever your gender. You simply are ignorant to think otherwise.

Last edited by observer53; 01-24-2014 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 PM

Thank you for most of your replies, except for the off-topic comments (i.e., those who advocate keeping cats indoors, and cats who apparently use one lady's yard as a toilet). We live in an apartment with a green belt behind us. I take the cats for walks in the green belt almost every day, even in the winter when high temperatures are only in the 20s. The greenbelt is basically a canal that is dry for most times of the year except for irrigation in the spring. They love spending time in the canal. I wouldn't deny them the pleasure they get from being outdoors. I love them enough to know they don't want to be cooped up the apartment all their lives, and quite frankly I can't take the stress of dealing with their boredom. They seem to function better if they can get out a couple times a day. I usually monitor them when they're out, but I will leave them alone for short periods, too.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
Thank you for most of your replies, except for the off-topic comments (i.e., those who advocate keeping cats indoors, and cats who apparently use one lady's yard as a toilet). We live in an apartment with a green belt behind us. I take the cats for walks in the green belt almost every day, even in the winter when high temperatures are only in the 20s. The greenbelt is basically a canal that is dry for most times of the year except for irrigation in the spring. They love spending time in the canal. I wouldn't deny them the pleasure they get from being outdoors. I love them enough to know they don't want to be cooped up the apartment all their lives, and quite frankly I can't take the stress of dealing with their boredom. They seem to function better if they can get out a couple times a day. I usually monitor them when they're out, but I will leave them alone for short periods, too.
Some of the "indoor cat" dogma people can't fathom the idea of a cat on a leash.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,080,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
Quote:
Come on, dude. Man up. It's ok to have cats if you are secure with your masculinity. I am a truck driver, and do not want for testosterone. Cats are great companions and pets whatever your gender. You simply are ignorant to think otherwise.
Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night man. Maybe you should lay off the testosterone a bit because you obviously have no ability to detect sarcasm.

Last edited by observer53; 01-24-2014 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,637,114 times
Cats are coyote bait, keep them indoors.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post

I awoke one morning last year to find this critter inside our backyard wall

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...118_062931.jpg
that picture makes my blood run cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas