Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,240 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to get out of California. We've lived here our whole lives and are just at the point where we need a change. We're deciding between Vegas and Denver. I've lived in Denver before and liked it - but for some reason Vegas is calling both of us.

My issues (nothing new but if you want to comment/reply/etc - feel free!!)

Jobs...

I'm getting mixed information - some posts say there are jobs others say there aren't. I'm assuming the problem is that there are so many people looking for work at the same time. Our goal is to either have a job before we get there - OR have AT LEAST 6 months bills/rent saved up while we look. He's a realtor/property manager and I'm a paralegal. My only concern is that people will be far less likely to hire me prior to actually being in the area - thoughts/suggestions welcome

Our "kids"

Okay so they're not exactly human kids.... Two are Siberian Huskies and the third is the youngest but biggest - a Bernese Mountain dog. I'm of course really worried about the heat - and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what to do to make it more bearable for them. We'll let them be inside on hot days of course - but I just wanted to get some insight on what other things can be done to make them a little more comfortable. (I'll probably have to give one of the huskies a lion cut...yikes!)

Where to Live/Housing

Hah - just kidding I'm not even going to ask about that. We're pretty set on what area we want to be in - but are open to suggestions. This kind of relates to the previous section - but I'm also worried about trying to find a place that will take us with the boys. We'll pay deposits, etc - I just feel like that will narrow our options severely.

I think that's about it - just babbling and saying HULLO! Hoping to connect with some people so I can get some helpful info for this big move.

Sheresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 04:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,310,392 times
I have big furry dogs and they have no problems living with the heat. I'm an owner, not a renter. Generally the nicer rentals do not want big dogs. I was building a house and had to sell the one I lived in before starting the house so I would have the money to begin the house. The only way I could find a nice, decent place to live for 6-9 months was to offer the landlord a generous security deposit and pay all the months rent in advance.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,064,724 times
Welcome.

Your dogs will be fine as long as they have plenty of water and some shade. Vegas is a very pet friendly community.

As far as jobs go, sign up for Indeed, Lasvegasjobsite, and Monster. Plenty of employers looking for good help here in the valley, and plenty of good people looking for jobs. They just seem to have a problem hooking up.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Thanks guys!

I've signed up for Indeed and Monster - am just now getting into the Las Vegas help wanted type sites. And I'm responding to every CL job ad that I'm qualified for. Hopefully something will work out!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM

23,630 posts, read 23,952,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheresar0cks View Post
Our "kids"

Okay so they're not exactly human kids.... Two are Siberian Huskies and the third is the youngest but biggest - a Bernese Mountain dog. I'm of course really worried about the heat - and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on what to do to make it more bearable for them. We'll let them be inside on hot days of course - but I just wanted to get some insight on what other things can be done to make them a little more comfortable. (I'll probably have to give one of the huskies a lion cut...yikes!)
We've got a berner and you have to be careful with the heat. Make sure he or she (and the huskies, too) can handle being inside while everyone's at work or away. Our dogs are bred for colder climates, and you just can't leave them out in the summer heat here.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:59 PM

421 posts, read 896,812 times
Aren't dogs suppose to live in the house ALL the time????

Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 PM

700 posts, read 1,326,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Aren't dogs suppose to live in the house ALL the time????
Yes. All those wolves going inside to nice warm houses at night. Dogs can do just fine without us for the most part. Except for some of the ridiculous breeds.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:50 PM

They are in with us now when we are home - but during the day while at work - they stay outside (we are on the coast so it's usually pretty cool). In Vegas we will have to figure something out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas