Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyman View Post
how can you go find one in the dessert if you wan to go look for one???
Shouldn't someone named spideyman already have the answer? Well, you need to poke your hand into dark holes in the desert. If you get bit go ahead and start digging. It's not a surefire way to find a spider but at least you save time on digging empty holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
I have never found a spider in my dessert ever. Which is a good thing.
However, I have found spiders in the desert, which is everywhere around us since we live in the middle of it.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 AM

228 posts, read 718,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post
I wish I didn't click on this thread
Me too friend, me too....

I'm not afraid of spiders, I just don't want to see them. You guys have bigger ones then we have here in South FL.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM

179 posts, read 389,813 times
Oh no, here is that talk about spiders, roaches and scorpions again, and don't even get me thinking about the rattlesnakes that are going to be sunning themselves in the backyard if I end up moving there. I even found a street on the LV map with the name "Copperhead" in it - and I'll bet there's a reason they named a street after a poisonous snake. I fear I might end up with snakes crawling up through the drains or the toilet in the bathroom if I move to LV when I start hearing about all the creepy insects and reptiles coming in from the desert and swooping in on the houses. I hope none of them are poisonous for cats since that's going to really keep her busy chasing after them through the house all day long. Very scary thoughts I managed to forget until the subject just recently came up here again. I can't even imagine seeing a scorpion either, that to me would be worse than finding a snake crawling through the backyard or sneaking in underneath the garage door. Uuuh, eeeh, owwl. I had almost forgot about this.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM

270 posts, read 534,841 times
What has been the most effective control you've put in place to keep spiders out of your house? Pet control service? How frequently? What other measures can a homeowner take to keep the arachnids outside? I agree that they are enormously helpful keeping other inects in check;however, I really, really don't want spiders crawsling around my bedroom! Are certain areas of LV more prone for any reasons?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 PM

222 posts, read 385,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
I'm not afraid of spiders, I just don't want to see them. You guys have bigger ones then we have here in South FL.
No we don't... LOL. We have some scarier ones, but by no means bigger ones, as a whole.

(I'll never forget dealing with one bigger than my outstretched hand climbing up the wall of the shower in FLL when I lived down there)

Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 PM

228 posts, read 718,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
No we don't... LOL. We have some scarier ones, but by no means bigger ones, as a whole.

(I'll never forget dealing with one bigger than my outstretched hand climbing up the wall of the shower in FLL when I lived down there)
I've been here for 20 years, I live next to a canal and I've never seen spider, snake, gator or any other creepy crawly in my backyard or in my house. I hope have that same good fortune when I move out there. Tarantulas aren't that scary, when you know they have been de-fanged and can't hurt you.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
Oh no, here is that talk about spiders, roaches and scorpions again, and don't even get me thinking about the rattlesnakes that are going to be sunning themselves in the backyard if I end up moving there. I even found a street on the LV map with the name "Copperhead" in it - and I'll bet there's a reason they named a street after a poisonous snake. I fear I might end up with snakes crawling up through the drains or the toilet in the bathroom if I move to LV when I start hearing about all the creepy insects and reptiles coming in from the desert and swooping in on the houses. I hope none of them are poisonous for cats since that's going to really keep her busy chasing after them through the house all day long. Very scary thoughts I managed to forget until the subject just recently came up here again. I can't even imagine seeing a scorpion either, that to me would be worse than finding a snake crawling through the backyard or sneaking in underneath the garage door. Uuuh, eeeh, owwl. I had almost forgot about this.
Ohhh stop. Don't be a crybaby. There are less insects in Las Vegas than practically anywhere else in the US. The black widow for instance is found virtually everywhere in the US. And the famed brown recluse lives only in the eastern part of the US.

All you need to do to control spiders is vacuum once in a while.

Roaches exist here as they do in every US community.

No mosquitoes or fleas to speak of. Tics are very rare.

The scorpions of interest are not native to the area and appear only in small colonies widely spaced. Thank AZ for them.

There is simply no were near the bug population of any place in the southern US. We just don't have that kind of bug population. We don't need to screen our swimming pools .

Virtually no one has ever seen a snake. I have on occasion gone looking for them in the nearby mountains and they are hard to find.

Let us all get it straight. One of the nice things about Las Vegas is there are very few bugs.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,773 times
Around june-july of last year I was seeing dozens of black widows everywhere I went. Probably mating season. Anyhow, they really aren't the type of spider to be suddenly appearing above your head at night. They pretty much exclusively hide out in really dark out of the way places(Corners of garage, between rocks etc.). They really don't want anything to do with meandering around in your house.

If you have small children or pets, simply do a quick walk around and eliminate cozy dark corners where they will set up shop.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
There is no Copperhead St. in Las Vegas. There are no copperhead snakes in Nevada. There are, however, copper mines, big ones, in Nevada. You will never see anything worse than a black widow spider in Las Vegas. You will on extremely rare occasions see a mosquito, and if you are lucky you might be fortunate enough to see a scorpion. And out in the desert, or more probably up in the mountains, you might be lucky enough to see rattlesnake someday. There are various species of rattlesnakes, but in this part of Nevada they are the only poisonous snakes. In the extreme southern part of Nevada, on the Arizona border, there may be the occasional coral snake. One has to be very stupid to be bitten by one though. You could also find in certain desert areas kind of far from from Las Vegas, if you go looking for them, the occasional Gila Monster, but there again you'd have to be really stupid to be bitten by one. With either coral snake or gila monster, you'd have to pick it and try to play with it, and let it get your finger in its mouth long enough to chew on it and inject poison. They don't have fangs in front like rattlesnakes.

Again, you people back east have been watching too many cowboy movies. For instance, the movie Lonesome Dove has a scene of a cowboy crossing a river when his horse steps into a den of water moccasins. Well, that would never happen as they are solitary snakes and don't live in dens with other snakes. And they most likely would never bite you anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas