U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
28 posts, read 44,801 times
Reputation: 21
Hello!
I am new to Vegas and looking for employment- need advice!
I filled out the application for a position at the Aria. I was a little surprised to realize I could only apply for one position for all MGM properties, and I am concerned I may have not applied for the most suitable opening.
I am from Florida and currently live in City Center. I have no casino experience. In Florida, I worked as an executive assistant for a technology engineering firm. Prior to this, I worked as managing partner of a small restaurant. I have a B.A. degree in Organizational Communications. I am 26 years old.
Since I am fairly young and have lack casino/resort experience, what type of jobs should I be after? I see quite a bit of openings that appear entry level. How does the rating system work for jobs? I have been most interested in jobs that are ranked 3 and 4.
Is a concierge typically part-time? I applied for VIP lounge representative but I am thinking since I lack casino experience, I may be better off applying for a concierge position. I plan on applying to several casinos and am open to jobs/crappy shifts.

Any tips for landing an interview? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,239 posts, read 16,959,378 times
Reputation: 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme87 View Post
Hello!
I am new to Vegas and looking for employment- need advice!
I filled out the application for a position at the Aria. I was a little surprised to realize I could only apply for one position for all MGM properties, and I am concerned I may have not applied for the most suitable opening.
I am from Florida and currently live in City Center. I have no casino experience. In Florida, I worked as an executive assistant for a technology engineering firm. Prior to this, I worked as managing partner of a small restaurant. I have a B.A. degree in Organizational Communications. I am 26 years old.
Since I am fairly young and have lack casino/resort experience, what type of jobs should I be after? I see quite a bit of openings that appear entry level. How does the rating system work for jobs? I have been most interested in jobs that are ranked 3 and 4.
Is a concierge typically part-time? I applied for VIP lounge representative but I am thinking since I lack casino experience, I may be better off applying for a concierge position. I plan on applying to several casinos and am open to jobs/crappy shifts.

Any tips for landing an interview? Thanks
You need to go for the most basic of positions.. Maybe entry level in a restaurant..... Without juice, concierge isn't going to happen. Look at the smaller hotels... Stations, Boyd, etc... Landing anything on the strip is tough..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM
 
23 posts, read 15,753 times
Reputation: 11
get to know local people - they will help you out ! Networking !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,239 posts, read 16,959,378 times
Reputation: 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by momotoo View Post
get to know local people - they will help you out ! Networking !
no... you need juice from the inside....

a local person isn't going to give up an opportunity to a person they barely know... might work elsewhere, but in vegas, juice is juice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 05:16 PM
 
5,606 posts, read 3,482,639 times
Reputation: 3086
I thought that was juice. Have someone on the inside let you know about jobs before they hit the website, walk your resume to the hiring manager, put in a good word for you. If that isn't it, what is? Straight up payola?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
no... you need juice from the inside....

a local person isn't going to give up an opportunity to a person they barely know... might work elsewhere, but in vegas, juice is juice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM
 
1,772 posts, read 2,590,559 times
Reputation: 847
Your young and have a BA. Don't sell yourself short. I have yet to hear the conversation from hiring managers that I found somebody I like but I am hesitant because they did not do their time handling bags at the Gold Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,239 posts, read 16,959,378 times
Reputation: 2887
i'd love to hear about anybody who landed a concierge position with absolutely no experience, not from vegas, on the strip, and without some sort of juice..might have happened at the cosmo because they did some weird hiring in the beginning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2014, 06:01 PM
 
467 posts, read 241,039 times
Reputation: 874
I have never heard the word juice used in the context you are using it. What do you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2014, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
4,653 posts, read 2,980,525 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
I have never heard the word juice used in the context you are using it. What do you mean?
Juice is a connection with someone who has clout in the organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
10,239 posts, read 16,959,378 times
Reputation: 2887
Juice = you know someone on the inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 - Top