Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times

Advertisements

Wed cancelled Cox TV because of poor reliability and terrible customer service. Went with Dish and have been very happy with them so far. Cox never called us to try and retain us. I really don't think they care. I do get offers in the mail all the time but I think they go out to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
/sigh

*FOCUS*

In my area, Cox has the worst possible customer service on God's Green Earth.

In my short time with them, they seriously could not care less if I stayed with them. So I didn't. It's like a shower after digging in the garden all day. Feels so good and clean to be rid of them.
And how, pray tell, does your comment focus on or pertain whatsoever to the OP's question? At least my post was in direct response to an issue/comment raised by another poster. Nobody cares how you feel about cancelling your Cox service. The OP has specifically stated that he wants to remain with Cox; he just wants to pay less for its service. Unfortunately, his "playing chicken" isn't going to yield the response he wants. In fact, it won't yield a response at all. Once you've spoken with their retention department and reiterated your intention to cancel, they are not going to initiate any follow-up calls to beg you to remain.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Fact of the matter is every channel on cable right now is pushing for more money, some a lot more than others. What a cable company charges for TV service usually only has about 10-15% "markup" on it, in other words if your bill is $50 for TV then around $45 of it is actually payments they have to send out to the content providers. Where they make money is the phone, the DVR, the security systems, and to a small degree the internet service although that's really expensive to provide at least for now with the constant upgrading needed.

So if you call them up and say I want just TV and internet, nothing else and I want you to provide it for a promo level price, how can that work? If you aren't giving them business where they can make money, they can't give you a price which you'll find attractive. So don't be surprised when they say sorry we can't give that to you and don't fight too hard to keep you around.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
I find it hard to cry tears for an industry that gives us internet that is 200 times slower than what they get in Korea, but charge us double the price. Price fixing is evil -- and the cable companies are the prime example of why this practice is bad for everyone except the people doing the price fixing.

Google "The First Honest Cable Company" video. I think you can only get away with posting that on C-D once.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 AM

391 posts, read 1,030,109 times
"Don't like it? You can oligople down our..." Ahem.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Hehe . . . Great video. Unfortunately, it's all true.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:26 PM

557 posts, read 793,551 times
SUCCESS. I was able to negotiate under 70( including all taxes ) a month for premier internet 50mbps and basic phone service. I am locked in for 12 months and was told pricing will be going up again next year. This was almost as challenging as buying a car.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Awesome news! Congrats! Really I'm so happy for you getting what you want. Now just keep doing this and keep the market competitive. Cheers!

Old 02-28-2014, 06:19 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
When I canceled the tv portion a year ago. Cox did not make any attempt to get me to subscribe again. So don't hold your breath.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Fact of the matter is every channel on cable right now is pushing for more money, some a lot more than others. What a cable company charges for TV service usually only has about 10-15% "markup" on it, in other words if your bill is $50 for TV then around $45 of it is actually payments they have to send out to the content providers. Where they make money is the phone, the DVR, the security systems, and to a small degree the internet service although that's really expensive to provide at least for now with the constant upgrading needed.

So if you call them up and say I want just TV and internet, nothing else and I want you to provide it for a promo level price, how can that work? If you aren't giving them business where they can make money, they can't give you a price which you'll find attractive. So don't be surprised when they say sorry we can't give that to you and don't fight too hard to keep you around.

The internet portion of the business is pure bloated profit plain and simple. Overcharge for the service because of no competition and just band aid the existing backbone instead of upgrading to fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas