Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times

Advertisements

I had to dig around on their website quite a bit to find these, and I figured that there's people here that could use the info.

Speeds & pricing are current as of this post. Check the links for updated numbers.

Plan Descriptions (speed, caps, etc)
Plan Pricing

Plan Name - Download Speed - Upload Speed - Data Cap - Monthly Cost (rounded)

Starter - 1mb - 384k - 50gb - $33
Essential - 5mb - 1mb - 100gb - $48
Preferred - 25mb - 5mb - 250gb - $63
Premier - 50mb - 10mb - 300gb - $74
Ultimate - 150mb - 20mb - 400gb - $110

The data caps aren't enforced as of this post, but they do send you an email if you surpass it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 PM

41 posts, read 68,670 times
Default Which ISPs are capping your broadband and why

A very informative article...

Which ISPs are capping your broadband, and why? — Tech News and Analysis

Old 03-18-2014, 07:40 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,319 times
Default Cox cancelled my account for data overages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I had to dig around on their website quite a bit to find these, and I figured that there's people here that could use the info.

Speeds & pricing are current as of this post. Check the links for updated numbers.

Plan Descriptions (speed, caps, etc)
Plan Pricing

Plan Name - Download Speed - Upload Speed - Data Cap - Monthly Cost (rounded)

Starter - 1mb - 384k - 50gb - $33
Essential - 5mb - 1mb - 100gb - $48
Preferred - 25mb - 5mb - 250gb - $63
Premier - 50mb - 10mb - 300gb - $74
Ultimate - 150mb - 20mb - 400gb - $110

The data caps aren't enforced as of this post, but they do send you an email if you surpass it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danknee
Same for me. Internet only service, no change.

I have now received 4 months in a row (one each month) of violation letters for exceeding my 300GB cap (upload + download > 300GB). They must have started sending these out four months ago because my usage hasn't changed; so far they have taken no action other than the notices. Hopefully Centurylink gets gigabyte service out to me before I get cut off.
I can now attest that they do in fact cut off your service if you exceed your data limit. I exceeded a total of 4 times over 5 months. Today when I came home, my internet was down and the browser came up with a self activation screen. It rejected self service activation, so I called the number it gave. After 20 minutes of investigating, the rep told me that it appeared my service had been cancelled because I exceeded the data cap too many times. CRAP

The first rep tried everything she was capable of, but couldn't add anything to my account and I was referred to a 3rd party Cox company(they were confused as to why), which referred me back to the general sales line (30 minute wait), which then referred me to the correct sales rep for my geographic area. This woman was very nice; she successfully added service to a new account for my address, and I upgraded to Ulitmate Tier for the extra speed and 100gigs on the cap. Then I was forwarded to tech support who added my cable modem to my account, but was very confused as to why it was currently tied to another account (I explained). Unfortunately the last sales rep couldn't reinstate service until tomorrow. Okay, whatever (at least I made it back!).

Lastly, I received a call from an automated number saying Cox was coming out on Wednesday within an 8 hour window to install internet, but offered a number to call to reschedule. I called this number and explained why I don't need anything installed. This guy was awesome (after hearing what happened), I hear keyboard noises and then, "Please check your internet".... It is back! and it is back at 144 down 35 up. This guy said he activated it for me and I was good to go.

Whew... Despite that 1.5 hours of my life I'll never get back, it was worth it. I wish Century Link would slap fiber down in Aliante, but until then I'm going to try to stay under 400 gigs a month.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
I'm sure a lot of people are getting these notices now after the premiere of HOUSE OF CARDS on Netflix. We did and it was totally worth the warning.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 PM

743 posts, read 968,493 times
I have the preferred (250gig) and I think I've gotten 20 email notices in a row about exceeding that amount by cox, haven't gotten anything shut down yet...they just say, "My internet experience would be greatly enhanced if I upgraded to the next level of service" or something like that.

If they ever shut me down, I'll never resign, will be happy to go elsewhere...$63 for a line is robbery when I have to pay for 3 lines a month through 2 other internet providers for my business...I'll just upgrade the others and tell them to shove it.

Perhaps it's their way of increasing revenue by making you think you have to upgrade....call their bluff and tell them they have 60 minutes to reinstate your service or you are calling Century Link, Clear, etc...

Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
They'll gladly shut you down. They know their product has no real competition in the valley. Century Link and Clear don't hold a candle to Cox. If they did, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Perhaps it's their way of increasing revenue by making you think you have to upgrade....call their bluff and tell them they have 60 minutes to reinstate your service or you are calling Century Link, Clear, etc...

Old 03-21-2014, 03:32 AM

646 posts, read 1,156,831 times
So, how is the Ulitmate Tier?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 AM

555 posts, read 775,222 times
I'm hoping we get some other high quality internet provider in Vegas .....

Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 AM

743 posts, read 968,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
They'll gladly shut you down. They know their product has no real competition in the valley. Century Link and Clear don't hold a candle to Cox. If they did, I'd switch in a heartbeat.
Century Link is my 2nd internet, haven't had a problem in 2 years, perhaps I am lucky.

Freedom pop is my 3rd...$10 a month...12gig (no streaming, just work)...no problem either.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
In my neighborhood, CenturyLink only offers 3mbps max, that doesn't cut it for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Century Link is my 2nd internet, haven't had a problem in 2 years, perhaps I am lucky.

Freedom pop is my 3rd...$10 a month...12gig (no streaming, just work)...no problem either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas