U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 PM

151 posts, read 166,730 times

Advertisements

This is from Lasvegasnow.com. The article states that 200 immigration fugitives have been arrested by ICE in Las Vegas last year. These are men and women who have either ignored deportation orders or have returned to the United States after being removed. This number seems very low to me. Across the nation, 30,000 were arrested. That number also seems low. Could it be that this problem is not as severe as the media makes it out to be, or is this just a low priority for the local and federal governments? I always assumed we arrested several thousand alone in Las Vegas yearly for this offense. I'm shocked that we have only removed 200 of these individuals from our city during the course of an entire year. But, then again, perhaps the problem is not as big as I thought.

Las Vegas Now - Breaking News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Streaming Video, Classifieds, Blogs - Valley ICE Officers Arrest Nearly 200 Fugitives During Last Year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
Somehow SHERIFF would turn this around to be a bad thing.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
It might well turn out that removing the illegals from Las Vegas would result in the closing of 90% of the restaurants.

We locals woud have to bring the tourists home to feed them. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to feed two or four persnicaty tourists for a couple of days? And then they ask to see your passport?

Nah. We should keep the illegals. At least until we can teach the local that did not get out of high school to work cheaper.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 PM

394 posts, read 192,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It might well turn out that removing the illegals from Las Vegas would result in the closing of 90% of the restaurants.

We locals woud have to bring the tourists home to feed them. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to feed two or four persnicaty tourists for a couple of days? And then they ask to see your passport?

Nah. We should keep the illegals. At least until we can teach the local that did not get out of high school to work cheaper.

are you serious? People wont work for $3-$4 an hour which is probably what they give the illegals, but for $7-$8 an hour I guarantee you will find plenty of US citizens to do what they do, those with high school diplomas and those without, some even with a college degree

Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,516,050 times
When I first arrived in Vegas about 10 years ago people would laugh and giggle when telling me about the Immigration patty wagons who would drive onto construction sites. All the illegals would drop their tools and run for the hills. Back then America did not want them here.

Today we all know few Citizens want them here but the fat cat bureaucrats do so there we have it.

It is too late now. They are here to stay. How can you round up something that out numbers you?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
are you serious? People wont work for $3-$4 an hour which is probably what they give the illegals, but for $7-$8 an hour I guarantee you will find plenty of US citizens to do what they do, those with high school diplomas and those without, some even with a college degree
I am always serious...everyone knows that.

Actually good kitchen help makes $10 an hour. But you got to train all those high school dropouts how to wash dishes. And in the interim we will all have to feed those tourists...you got any idea of how hard that is going to be? Hell some are from Indiana...and they hardly speak english.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:48 AM

1,755 posts, read 4,823,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
This is from Lasvegasnow.com. The article states that 200 immigration fugitives have been arrested by ICE in Las Vegas last year. These are men and women who have either ignored deportation orders or have returned to the United States after being removed. This number seems very low to me. Across the nation, 30,000 were arrested. That number also seems low. Could it be that this problem is not as severe as the media makes it out to be, or is this just a low priority for the local and federal governments? I always assumed we arrested several thousand alone in Las Vegas yearly for this offense. I'm shocked that we have only removed 200 of these individuals from our city during the course of an entire year. But, then again, perhaps the problem is not as big as I thought.

Las Vegas Now - Breaking News, Local News, Weather, Traffic, Streaming Video, Classifieds, Blogs - Valley ICE Officers Arrest Nearly 200 Fugitives During Last Year
Clark Co @ 2mil population x 25% "hispanic" = 500,000----I'm quite sure there were only 200 illegals in THECesspool. Good job ICE.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:07 AM

416 posts, read 1,552,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
This is from Lasvegasnow.com. The article states that 200 immigration fugitives have been arrested by ICE in Las Vegas last year . . .
In my experience, which includes being married to an illegal in the past and knowing many illegals in her wide circle of friends, not much is usually done about illegals. There seem to be at least two primary reasons for this: 1. The government doesn't have the resources (manpower, money, etc.) to do much about it, and making this more futile, 2. It's relatively easy for illegals to file legal motions so they can remain in the country and change their status instead.

What tends to happen is that new illegals are very paranoid about what might happen to them if they are caught. But as they meet more illegals who have been in the US for awhile, and begin learning more about US laws and the legal system, they become less paranoid, as they realize it is extremely unlikely that they're going to be deported, jailed, etc.

So the 200 fugitives who have been arrested, and the relatively low number nationwide, is likely a token gesture by the government to look like they're doing something about illegals, to stay in the good graces of those folks who are more anti-immigration--as you can see, it gains media coverage. What is likely to happen with many of the people who were arrested is that they'll file the papers they need to file and stay in the country, going through the process to change their status. Of course, some people won't do that, as they haven't educated themselves about what they need to do, they're maybe still scared, etc.

As a Libertarian, I do not think that we should even have immigration laws. People should be able to live wherever the hell they want to live without having to jump through governmental hoops to live there. But among the forces working against abolishing immigration laws are the fact that changing your status raises a lot of money for the government--filing the papers with the Immigration Service costs a decent amount of money (it's at least $2000 now if you are changing your status from an illegal one to a legal one), and you then enter the federal (and state where applicable) income tax system.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
This is a good first step

The "raids" by ICE and the detaining and deportation of those in the US are on the rise. Employer sanction laws are being implemented all over the country.

As a result, there are many, in the US illegally, who are going "home" - some have even said that they "feel unwelcome" - DUH!!!!

No resturants are going to close because of this

No business is going to close either -

Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM

159 posts, read 429,483 times
I just can't rally behind anyone emigrates illegally UNLESS they're legitimate refugees, escaping political or cultural torture (an ex. of the latter would be female genital mutilation, as practiced in some contries on the African continent). Other than that, get in line!

And while you're waiting, how about putting some effort into improving the economic climate in your homeland? Do whatever it takes, including overthrowing corrupt govt. leaders. What ever happened to the spirit of revolution? In Mexico, it appears that only the Tarahumara have the courage to rebel. Most others run away...and then return home with the loot.

I'll end my little rant here and go on to say I agree wholeheartedly with Greatday that the restaurants won't close. And re those few that might, well then, they deserve it. Don't go into business if you can't afford to pay a living wage, regardless of the type of job.

And a living wage should be able to garner everyone on every economic level a decent place to live...which brings me to the topic of developers, who I think are mostly the ruination of this country and in general the scourge of the earth. Smart growth? Not when greedy people have a chance to overstuff their pockets.

OMG, please accept my apology for my crankiness this morning. Someone must've gotten up on the wrong side of the Futon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or