Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 AM

104 posts, read 1,073,709 times

Advertisements

Last year was my first real summer here in Vegas and people were telling me it was a mild summer

I have insulated my garage door with Reflectix and that has helped somewhat to keep the temps down, but it still gets hot in the summer. There are two rectangular air vents on one side of the wall.

I keep a refrigerator in the garage and it survived, just hope it can survive a hotter summer, which I hear this summer will be.

I thought I read on this forum that some people cool their garage. Just wondering what they use, ie brand and model and how it has worked out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,716 times
Home Depot has a cooler called Bonaire durango. It is a very efficent slimline cooler, only hangs out of the wall about 10 inches, it also blows colder air as it has good Celdek evaporative media. The durango cooler is also very cheap to run.
I found that those two rectangular vents dont quite let enough air out, so when I install one in someones garage, I adjust the garage door opener to keep the door up about an inch off the floor.

Dont even consider a small cooler for the garage, even though the square footage is small, the heat load is high and you need to move a lot of air to keep it cool.
Also, small coolers that use other evaporative media besides Celdek, dont blow very cool on hot days.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Home Depot has a cooler called Bonaire durango. It is a very efficent slimline cooler, only hangs out of the wall about 10 inches, it also blows colder air as it has good Celdek evaporative media. The durango cooler is also very cheap to run.
I found that those two rectangular vents dont quite let enough air out, so when I install one in someones garage, I adjust the garage door opener to keep the door up about an inch off the floor.

Dont even consider a small cooler for the garage, even though the square footage is small, the heat load is high and you need to move a lot of air to keep it cool.
Also, small coolers that use other evaporative media besides Celdek, dont blow very cool on hot days.
Thanks, I will check it out

Old 03-20-2014, 04:02 AM

I just read about the Durango. That involves cutting the wall and sounds difficult to install as well as having to get permission from the HOA. I am looking for more of a portable cooler solution.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBeta View Post
I just read about the Durango. That involves cutting the wall and sounds difficult to install as well as having to get permission from the HOA. I am looking for more of a portable cooler solution.
Portable cooler wont work in the garage, it needs 100% fresh intake air. If you keep the cooler below the fence line, then the HOA shouldnt have a problem, especially with the slim design of the Durango.
As far as cutting the wall, it's a piece of cake and makes a nice clean install when its all done.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:41 PM

843 posts, read 2,216,188 times
A large enough portable will work in the garage IF you can position it so it pulls in air from a door. I've done that before and it works okay, not efficient but doable.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
A large enough portable will work in the garage IF you can position it so it pulls in air from a door. I've done that before and it works okay, not efficient but doable.
We did it too in a house we rented years ago and your right, it was just ok. We found the garage was always too humid and we had to leave the side door completely open with the cooler sitting in it.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 18,808 times
I personally think that you should go for bigger cooler for e.g Bonaire durango as it gives cooler air or you can also search for better options which I am sharing with you that was recommended to me by my friend. This will provide you the technical information.
air conditioning port st lucie

Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethreilly View Post
I personally think that you should go for bigger cooler for e.g Bonaire durango as it gives cooler air or you can also search for better options which I am sharing with you that was recommended to me by my friend. This will provide you the technical information.
air conditioning port st lucie
I've been installing Bonaire Durangos like crazy this summer. They are perfect for a garage, as they fit tight against the outside wall, cool extremely well and use less electricity than a standard cooler with a big belt and blower wheel.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 AM

561 posts, read 680,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
I've been installing Bonaire Durangos like crazy this summer. They are perfect for a garage, as they fit tight against the outside wall, cool extremely well and use less electricity than a standard cooler with a big belt and blower wheel.
I love my Durango, but I'm wondering if there's a way to tweak it so that it works better when the temps climb above 105. According to the specs I've seen, the water pump is rated for about 95 gph. Would swapping that pump out with a slightly more powerful model (Home Depot has pumps ranging from 225 gph to 440 gph) improve performance, or would it lead to quicker degradation of the Celdek material?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas