Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:56 AM

151 posts, read 213,339 times

Advertisements

I'm a real estate investor looking into downtown vegas ... how bad is the area really? (crime wise/etc?) I'm talking 89106 zipcode in particular. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 AM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Most of that zipcode looks like crap. The areas that seem to be gentrifying are east and south of that.

It really doesn't encompass downtown, so much as the area just west and north of it.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Most of that zipcode looks like crap. The areas that seem to be gentrifying are east and south of that.

It really doesn't encompass downtown, so much as the area just west and north of it.
so like 89101,89104,89142 and 89110, as examples? As you can tell I don't know the area well.. I am somewhat familiar with what the good areas area, but trying to get a sense of the "less bad ones" or "improving" ones.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Where downtown is getting gentrification, it seems to be in 89101. The rest really have nothing to do with downtown.

Go to the corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Fremont Street. West of that, till the end of Fremont, is the Fremont Street Experience. East of that is the El Cortez and the area that is getting some gentrification.

What kind of project are you looking for?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Where downtown is getting gentrification, it seems to be in 89101. The rest really have nothing to do with downtown.

Go to the corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Fremont Street. West of that, till the end of Fremont, is the Fremont Street Experience. East of that is the El Cortez and the area that is getting some gentrification.

What kind of project are you looking for?
Gotcha. I'm pretty open.. looking into single family homes or potentially condos...I live in NY so I want something that a property manager can deal with reasonably well which from my experience, precludes "the ghetto" but I don't mind taking a flyer on an area that is just ok but maybe up and coming.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:02 PM

I live in NYC. I've been looking at Vegas for years. If your looking SFR, fuggetabout this area (downtown) You want to be looking around the beltway. There are a number of people on this board who are very active SFR investors in Vegas. Search back, and you'll get a lot of background. Especially read through the running real estate thread.

Current Update on the LV Real Estate Market -- Part II

Really, if you're looking to invest in metro Vegas, you're a little late to the game. You should have gotten in in 2009-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaash2 View Post
Gotcha. I'm pretty open.. looking into single family homes or potentially condos...I live in NY so I want something that a property manager can deal with reasonably well which from my experience, precludes "the ghetto" but I don't mind taking a flyer on an area that is just ok but maybe up and coming.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I live in NYC. I've been looking at Vegas for years. If your looking SFR, fuggetabout this area (downtown) You want to be looking around the beltway. There are a number of people on this board who are very active SFR investors in Vegas. Search back, and you'll get a lot of background. Especially read through the running real estate thread.

Current Update on the LV Real Estate Market -- Part II

Really, if you're looking to invest in metro Vegas, you're a little late to the game. You should have gotten in in 2009-10.
Yea I live in NYC also. I got into florida a little while back post crash instead of vegas, but now some SFR in vegas seems more interesting ... Yea, I am familiar with opportunities in the NW and along the "L" people describe... just trying to figure out more of whats out there. Im going down in June to see everything myself

Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Oh, it will likely be very interesting. There is absolutely no way I would ever be a long-distance landlord. I would rather take the money, dump it in a hole, cover it with gasoline and light it on fire. It would be less of a hassle that way. If you're that keen on losing money, why not just bet your investment on red/black or pass/don't pass?

I have cleaned up after too many rental horrors to rent to anyone other than coworkers who I've known for years. And as a long-distance landlord, you don't have access to that pool of prospective tenants. You're going to get the family who immediately moves 20 relatives and 10 dogs into the house the minute your back is turned. This is not hyperbole -- 20 relatives and 10 dogs. Happens all the time. Drive around Las Vegas and look for houses that resemble a used car lot -- garage full of cars, driveway full of cars, cars parked on the street. Those are the families (plural) all renting the same SFR and just trashing the hell out of it. You're never going to see them again when they leave. And there's no way to prosecute them. And they know this.

And the property manager? All that person does is collect and deposit rent checks and take his or her cut. They're not going to lift a finger to actually manage your property. If something goes wrong, they'll call one of their cronies who will overcharge you and make sure something else breaks in short order.

Seriously, just burn the money and be done with it. Much less hassle that way.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:53 PM

526 posts, read 832,349 times
SCOOP is correct. I can tell you stories about when I lived in VT, owned house on Cape Cod. It was a nightmare.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM

That may be your experience.. but I am currently already a long distance landlord of property in florida and I have had no hiccups at all...I know many others in the same boat; as as matter of fact, most of my friends here who invest in real estate are long distance land lords with little to no issues. To say that you cannot manage property long distance is absolutely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: