Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,678,568 times

Advertisements

It helps to sleep on the floor. Feel cooler.

I also user window sun deflector from my car on the east windows during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimilyn View Post
Merry, what kind of curtains/window coverings are you using? The light/heat blocking kind really help
The unit has somewhat opaque 3 1/2" PVC Vertical Blinds on all the windows. I need to check our lease before investing in installing energy efficient blackout curtains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post

I also user window sun deflector from my car on the east windows during the day.
We did that the first week and then I cried to my husband about the bruises on my hips and I got a bed out of it. lol. Sleeping on the floor is not fun for me after all.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM

427 posts, read 630,234 times
are you in a house or apt ?

You can buy temp shades at Lowes/HD. They have black out ones for about $10. I bought some several years ago that were peel and stick but rather than stick them, I wrapped them around a tension rod that I placed across the top of the window, underneath the wood blinds.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:49 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post

Yeah, I have no desire to go camping.. Especially in my own home

Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 PM

I do a lot of running like 40-60 miles per week. My resting heart rate is 32 beats per minute. That means my body doesn't overheat so I actually shiver a lot at night running AC at 80.

So do a lot of running and you won't need AC due to low heartrate and core body temps at resting.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 PM

The more support the human body needs the weaker it will get.

Once your back gets weak, you will need even more cushion. Cushioning is like a drug, once you have it you need more of it.

I sit on a rock hard stool with no support for 8 hours plus working at home. Back at the office in Boston, people are sitting on $1000+ office chairs, while I sit on a stiff non-adjustment conference chair. I tell my coworkers the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Yeah, I have no desire to go camping.. Especially in my own home

Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 PM

Drinking tons of water will help with blood pressure. Win win for health and electricity savings!

Old 06-28-2014, 10:14 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Here's my energy use chart for the past couple years. The house is about 4400 sf, two story, built in 2006, and has 3 separate ACs. All the can lights are CFLs. I've got a few LEDs just to test them.

Just a week ago I got rid of a 15 year old 21 cu ft upright freezer in the garage that was on its last legs. the compressor was running 24x7 and the interior was at 20 degrees, and that will help some.

The 3 ACs are for the following zones: (a) the ground floor living area, (b) the upstairs master bedroom over the garage, and (c) the other upstairs bedrooms & game room.

We keep the downstairs AC at 77 from about 7am when I come downstairs through about 11pm (overnight it is set to 85). There is a ceiling fan which we keep on low in the great room (one space that is family room, kitchen & breakfast nook).

We keep the master bedroom AC set at 73 from about 10:30pm until about 9:30am when my wife gets up. We also run the ceiling fan. We keep it that cold because my wife has reached that special age, and can't abide warmer temps. I actually have a blanket while she goes from nothing to just a sheet several times/night.

Unless we have guests, the 3rd AC is always off.

Note we only occupy the house from mid-April through Thanksgiving, as we spend the ski season on the slopes out of state. You'll note that winter of '13 used more electricity than winter of '14. During the winter of '13 I apparently incorrectly programmed the pool/spa computer - the pump ran pretty much 24x7 until I detected the mistake & had someone reprogram it. (worse still - I incorrectly programmed the set temperatures for the heater, so I kept the swimming pool in the upper 80s all winter, but that isn't electricity use).

This year's daily use is higher than last year's daily use. Last year we took many trips out of town for weeks at a time.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 06-28-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
are you in a house or apt ?

You can buy temp shades at Lowes/HD. They have black out ones for about $10. I bought some several years ago that were peel and stick but rather than stick them, I wrapped them around a tension rod that I placed across the top of the window, underneath the wood blinds.
Perfect!

Were having the entire house remodeled and all the old window coverings were tossed. Bad shape, people smoked.

I estimate we can do a temp covering of all windows for around $100 that will hold us until we move, order, and wait 6 weeks for the new ones to arrive. We are going to fly out in July to look at the work and put these up.

Thanks!!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:59 PM

930 posts, read 1,817,348 times
for the same billing period we used 5% less kwh from 2013 but our bill is 5% more $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas