U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM

727 posts, read 965,433 times

Advertisements

There used to be a fascinating website on the history of Las Vegas. I originally found it on here using the link below. However, it now takes you to a totally different website. Does anybody know what happened to the History of Las Vegas website?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...s-history.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM

9,445 posts, read 11,129,242 times
I emailed him and asked. I'll post here if I get an answer

Old 04-20-2014, 12:22 PM

20,473 posts, read 21,057,603 times
Looks like the domain was dropped (not renewed) and a domain broker registered it. The site that's there now is a generic template that these brokers put up on thousands of domains. The original site is gone.

You can find an archived version of that page here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130816...LVHISTORY.html

Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 PM

13,603 posts, read 11,872,789 times
Oh man, that's a huge loss. If he didn't want to pay for hosting anymore (or if, God forbid, something happened to him, I wish someone would have contacted one of us to pay for hosting) He did such an amazing job with that site.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,676,303 times
I have it downloaded on my PC I did a text document so I suggest if you get a copy of it download it and save it in your documents. The owner of the LV History lives in Britain (England) http://john-uk.com/Icons/LVBLUE.ico That is all I know. I can send it to anyone's E-Mail if you so desire just DM me. I just went to the link above and did not get the LV History so do not use it someone else has bought the domain name. Did anyone send this person a DM to see if he is still alive or that he bought a new domain name and moved it there. Domain names are a business and if you have one that a person wants you can sell it to them it is a big business on the net. Google it the history is quite amazing and the money involved is even more amazing.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:40 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,676,303 times
It looks like John Hopkins hospital or university or what ever has the URL now so The mystery continues does anyone know here to find his original post on here so he can be DM

Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 AM

9,445 posts, read 11,129,242 times
I have his DM information. He has not posted here, but he did come here to read the posts about those who loved his website. He contacted me specifically because I really raved about the site He gave me his personal email and I have sent him a message but have not gotten an response.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM

521 posts, read 757,715 times
I found it, but its a little quirky. Don't know how long it will be there,
I D/L'd it and saved it as html file to my desktop and it worked.

LAS VEGAS HISTORY 2

Old 04-21-2014, 03:57 PM

727 posts, read 965,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
I found it, but its a little quirky. Don't know how long it will be there,
I D/L'd it and saved it as html file to my desktop and it worked.

LAS VEGAS HISTORY 2
Great job finding it. Thank you.

How did you save it to your desktop? It is many jpeg and JScript files. I can save the files but the links don't work.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 PM

521 posts, read 757,715 times
Click file then save page as..
It will save as html file. Which is nothing more than a "shortcut"to web page..

I am in-process of printing a hard-copy now.. Takes a while sinse it almost 500 pages.

Then I will scann all pages as a ginormous PDF file...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: