Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed lately that more and more 80's junkers are running around with "classic rod" and "classic vehicle" plates?
They do it because their junk wont pass smog, so obviously they've found a loophole but it really stinks, because their cars run like crap and belch black smoke.
Kinda sucks for some of us that go through the trouble to keep our cars running properly and follow the smog laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:02 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I have had many cars that won't pass smog, but not because they are polluters, but because I've decided to make everything flow better.
Sure there are some guys who do that just because their cars are running like crap, but are you going to tell me that an 80's 4 cylinder is worse than a 1960's big block that just happens to be in a very aesthetically pleasing muscle car?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I have had many cars that won't pass smog, but not because they are polluters, but because I've decided to make everything flow better.
Sure there are some guys who do that just because their cars are running like crap, but are you going to tell me that an 80's 4 cylinder is worse than a 1960's big block that just happens to be in a very aesthetically pleasing muscle car?
No vehicle has to run poorly. I've owned 60's vehicles that ran great and didnt stink at all. But when I see someone driving a very poorly running 80's car that sounds like crap and pours out black smoke, I would rather prefer they fix their car and make it run as designed but instead they run out and buy a classic plate and drive it as is.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM

In the last few days, I've seen a few illegal types driving towing yard auction specials, they are the vehicles I'm refering to.
I dont know another way to say it without getting into trouble, so I'll shut up now.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM
EA

Maybe that is all they can afford. I drive around town all day and I've yet to see a single 80's car pouring out black smoke.
I have seen a few cars put out small puffs of black smoke which is typical of even brand new turbo charged cars.
The only vehicles I've seen that pour out black smoke are big trucks driven my small membered men who don't know that blowing smoke from a diesel is a sign of poor fuel mixture and is taking away power. Also is easily fixable.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Maybe that is all they can afford. I drive around town all day and I've yet to see a single 80's car pouring out black smoke.
I have seen a few cars put out small puffs of black smoke which is typical of even brand new turbo charged cars.
The only vehicles I've seen that pour out black smoke are big trucks driven my small membered men who don't know that blowing smoke from a diesel is a sign of poor fuel mixture and is taking away power. Also is easily fixable.
Nevermind, you completely missed my whole point!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea View Post
the only vehicles i've seen that pour out black smoke are big trucks driven my small membered men who don't know that blowing smoke from a diesel is a sign of poor fuel mixture and is taking away power. Also is easily fixable.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Nevermind, you completely missed my whole point!

I got your point. You hate 80's cars. You claim that you see a lot of them pouring out black smoke, and ignoring smog by getting classic plates.
I merely pointed out that if you're concerned about the pollution, there are a lot worse polluters out there for you to complain about.

A poorly running 80's car would have to be dumping 2-3 times the normal amount of fuel to pollute as much as a single 60's big block. Just because you can't see those smoking, doesn't mean they aren't harming the environment.

So either you hate poor people, you hate 80's cars, or you don't understand pollution. I do not care which, I'm just trying to illustrate for you what the actual issue at hand is.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
In the last few days, I've seen a few illegal types driving towing yard auction specials, they are the vehicles I'm refering to.
I dont know another way to say it without getting into trouble, so I'll shut up now.
How do you know theyre illegal? Checked thier papers? You never see what are presumed to be white people who are here legally with smoke belching rust buckets?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 PM

204 posts, read 318,932 times
Mystery solved! I was wondering why I have seen so many "classic" cars with those plates on them. Nice loophole. Kind of like having a code scanner and clearing your codes before you get smogged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas