Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What are doc fees for? I'm paying cash so do I pay those?
Yes. The dealer will tell you it is for processing paperwork. Cash or finance, both generate paperwork. In reality, it was the genius idea of a car dealer many decades ago. Some states are now as high as $1500 for doc fees. For the most part, it is dealer profit, but dealers are in the situation where they can't waive it, or they would open themselves up to a class action law suit from everyone in history who has ever paid it. You can get around it if you are a good negotiator, but the dealer will show it as a reduction in price, and it will still be on the P&S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 02:13 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Checked out the Mitsubishi, and Golf. SO can't get in either one without cracking his head. He is 6'5". Back to the drawing board.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:13 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
If I lived in LV and was looking for a car, I might extend my search to Metro LA. It's a much bigger market, and it's not so hot (the heat being rough on cars.) Yes, there would be a PITA factor in physically checking cars out, but you can do most of the up front work on the web, and increase in selection might be worth it.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I have bought 3 cars from Carmax and all have been within the price line for that vehicle... And the no hassle sale was a dream compared to the gestapo tactics of other dealers.... I would reccomned them to anyone..... I was able to get extended warranties on all of them and with no hassle or huge amount of money.....

As for the retail sale and trade-in there is always going to be a big difference... Also remember NADA and KBB do not always count the release series or special series for the vehilces.. So that makes the price out of wack there as well..

Besides NADA and KBB are just "suggestive" pricing..Not set in stone.. And it also depends on where you live as to what price they will give you...

After owning more than 35 vehicles throughout the years and most of them bought at dealerships I will avoid conventional delars like they were the plague... I hate their Tactics and the way they do business....
My current car is from CarMax. It was slightly overpriced compared to exact models found on Craigslist and other dealerships. The advantage of buying my car from CarMax was that my car came with...

-brand new tires
-brand new brake pads
-brand new battery
-brand new belts
-brand new windshield wipers
-brand new floor mats
-original factory warranty plus CarMax extended warranty
-30 day return policy
-clean Carfax track record

Some of this stuff is cheap(wipers) other items can get very expensive(tires). It is at least a two year piece of mind that this normal wear and tear/maintenance stuff will last for a while. There is no way you could get a guarantee like this off of Craigslist and even most other used dealerships anywhere else. I found my car much cheaper on Craigslist from private sellers compared to CarMax along. And I also could have easily negotiated a cheaper "AS IS" price from a dealership in town.

But why deal with someone else's signature car smell, balding tires, questionable brakes, unknown maintenance service record...etc. I take it as you can pay slightly more up front or pay over time later.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
My current car is from CarMax. It was slightly overpriced compared to exact models found on Craigslist and other dealerships. The advantage of buying my car from CarMax was that my car came with...

-brand new tires
-brand new brake pads
-brand new battery
-brand new belts
-brand new windshield wipers
-brand new floor mats
-original factory warranty plus CarMax extended warranty
-30 day return policy
-clean Carfax track record

Some of this stuff is cheap(wipers) other items can get very expensive(tires). It is at least a two year piece of mind that this normal wear and tear/maintenance stuff will last for a while. There is no way you could get a guarantee like this off of Craigslist and even most other used dealerships anywhere else. I found my car much cheaper on Craigslist from private sellers compared to CarMax along. And I also could have easily negotiated a cheaper "AS IS" price from a dealership in town.

But why deal with someone else's signature car smell, balding tires, questionable brakes, unknown maintenance service record...etc. I take it as you can pay slightly more up front or pay over time later.
You are right and I hadn't thought of that. Do all their cars have all the same new stuff yours did? Seems like that would pretty much guarantee 2 years of worry free driving. Some of those belts(especially the timing belt) can be very expensive to replace.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
You are right and I hadn't thought of that. Do all their cars have all the same new stuff yours did? Seems like that would pretty much guarantee 2 years of worry free driving. Some of those belts(especially the timing belt) can be very expensive to replace.
They MIGHT replace those things on a particular vehicle but their cars do NOT come with all of that as standard.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They MIGHT replace those things on a particular vehicle but their cars do NOT come with all of that as standard.
That's too bad! Would be worth paying extra for that!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,736,501 times
Quote:
I did search and didn't find anything recent. My beetles are dead/dying and it's gotten to the point where it is just costing too much to keep them going. I need to buy a new used vehicle. Probably a small SUV or a crossover. The most I can spend is about 15K cash.

Where can I shop that's honest and I won't be taken advantage of? I hate buying cars... They see me coming!

I am hoping for something reliable that will last for a while without a lot of work. I'm OK with the regular maintenance stuff.

Ideas?

I bought my last car at Enterprise Car Sales. They have them all over including Las Vegas. They have a no haggle policy which I don't like but I found the price to be within the Blue Book estimate.
The cars seem well maintained and fairly low mileage.
Here is an example of a SUV. It is in Reno but no transfer fee.
If you want something else call them and they may be able to get it for you.
Used NISSAN Versa 2012 NISSAN Versa Reno, NV - Enterprise Used Cars

Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I bought my last car at Enterprise Car Sales. They have them all over including Las Vegas. They have a no haggle policy which I don't like but I found the price to be within the Blue Book estimate.
The cars seem well maintained and fairly low mileage.
Here is an example of a SUV. It is in Reno but no transfer fee.
If you want something else call them and they may be able to get it for you.
Used NISSAN Versa 2012 NISSAN Versa Reno, NV - Enterprise Used Cars
Looks nice and only 33K miles. Most of what I've seen is much higher mileage. And I need to buy something that's going to last a while. I had looked at Enterprise before but I didn't see that one.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,736,501 times
Quote:
Looks nice and only 33K miles. Most of what I've seen is much higher mileage. And I need to buy something that's going to last a while. I had looked at Enterprise before but I didn't see that one.

It is easier to look online first. If something you like is already sold they may be able to get you another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: