Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
A friend of mine in the San Diego area is an attorney that primarily deals in civil litigation. I've helped him out with the technical aspects of trials (projectors, powerpoints, timecoding videotaped depositions, etc) in the past.

One thing I learned during that work - there should be separate bathrooms for jurors. Nobody involved with the trial in any way is supposed to have any interaction with the jurors outside of the courtroom, but having them use the same bathrooms is awkward, and is just begging for one side or the other to claim tampering.
Now there is a good quick out...

"I was not prejudiced but that was before the DA peed on my shoes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It could be some utility, I just don't see how it could be trash or water considering the situation at my house.

They could (and probably do) use multiple sources for their selection pool. My girlfriend hasn't had her name on ANY of the utilities since we moved here - they're all in my name - yet she's been called for jury duty and I haven't.

We do both have Nevada driver licenses, though, as well as concealed firearm permits, and we're both registered to vote.
Interesting. I also do not have a Nevada drivers license. Mine is from Georgia, but will get a NV license eventually.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:14 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Ok this freaks me out as I have Federal Jury Duty coming up in late June and I'm starting a college program this summer (grad school). If they call me to go in, I'll let them know I'm a student. But I'm 33 and have NEVER gotten notice of Jury Duty so I really am excited to do it, just not a long one like this.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Ok this freaks me out as I have Federal Jury Duty coming up in late June and I'm starting a college program this summer (grad school). If they call me to go in, I'll let them know I'm a student. But I'm 33 and have NEVER gotten notice of Jury Duty so I really am excited to do it, just not a long one like this.
It's not a Grand Jury? They serve for 18 months and that can be extended...

Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Sometimes it never ends. The phone rings and it's Takeda calling. Well, not really Takeda, it's their lawyers. Wanting me to rate their performance during the trial. That's a surprise.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Unbelievable. I'll stop bragging to my friends about serving on a jury for over a month in 2010. LOL. Thank you for your service!

The jury should get a five year exemption from service after having to serve that long. Where I live it is two years if not picked to serve or if you serve. Should be longer if you serve IMO.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I always heard they picked jurors from voting records. In fact, someone told me this, and that person was someone in the jury pool when I was summoned way back when. So I always assumed that is how people are picked.

Also, if Von were to bring Truman Capote's book "In cold blood" to the courthouse, making sure the title is facing out so people can see it, will they let him go or keep him? Just curious. Chances are though, that he doesn't get picked, because they call down so many people at once and they only pick 12? Plus a few alternates.

Now if they would get real with the wages they pay jurors, say give them exactly what they would miss from being off work. Their daily wages, then no one would try to shirk their duty, plus, they should not have their jobs yanked from them for serving. It's not like someone is going voluntarily.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
They called in a little over 500 people to screen but only need 14. 12 jurors and two alternates. I think my odds are good.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
According to the Clark County website:

Quote:
Q: How did you get my name for Jury Service?
A: Clark County obtains a list of driver's license and state identification card holders from the Department of Motor Vehicles. From this list, names are randomly selected to receive a jury summons
Welcome to the Clark County Courts in Las Vegas

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most states select a jury pool from the voter registration lists in the county you live in. However, many have expanded the list to include anyone who has registered with the state DMV as that list is generally larger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Judge told me it's based off of your water/trash bill. That's it. Used to be DMV.
I got summoned twice within 12 months when you're supposed to be exempted for a couple years once you've appropriately responded to the first summons. In the process of getting this corrected, I learned that they do indeed draw from multiple information sources.

In my case, the culprit was NV Energy as somehow they had an erroneous duplicate account with my name so I was inadvertently summoned a second time. NV Energy is the utility they use in addition to traditional sources. Thankfully, I kept records from the first time I'd responded so they exempted me once I was able to prove as much.

When I went the first time, I spent the better part of two days going through the selection process, mostly because the lawyers involved were ... well ... incompetent (in my opinion, of course). The first day they largely had all of us (over a hundred) sit on our thumbs while they got caught up in nitpicking. The second day they finally got to interviews/screening; I was next to be interviewed/screened when they finalized the jury & alternates. I was just fine with doing my civic duty but thought it was a bit of a pain that I had to burn two full days & not be compensated in any way (something nominal for gas and/or my time would've been nice). Clark County doesn't compensate you until the day after the second day of jury selection.

As an aside, I was amazed at some of the unbelievable excuses (and bad acting) some people resorted to using in order to try to get out of jury duty. Some obviously had legitimate excuses, some others ... not so much. One lady said it was a hardship; when pressed for details, it turns out she wasn't the sole wage earner - she & her husband were trying to save for a boat so it was going to be a 'hardship' if they missed any of their income they were trying to put towards it. Ah, the necessities of life. Clearly a 'need' & not a 'want' :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: