Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times

Advertisements

Swiffer dusters are your friend. Also, for the floors, try one of these Refurbished: Neato XV-12 Automatic Vacuum Cleaner, Colors May Vary - Manufacturer Refurbished

My BF has one and it vacuums every day. It doesn't tackle heavy jobs, but it works great on dust and pet dander.

PS. the dust used to be a LOT worse during the construction boom. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 05:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,552 times
Be sure your filters in ac/furnace are clean

Old 05-26-2014, 05:59 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
We've done all of the above and NOTHING works. Dusting regularly is a way of life now.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:24 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,521 times
If you stop dusting at all, in 30 days you start tracking it out.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Guy View Post
@Raiderman

Well, that's depressing.

We have dark hardwood floors and all the corners / baseboards become white and look awful
even though we vacuum. We have to damp mop the floors frequently to get the dust layer cleaned.

So, all the ceiling fans in the house ( we have 4 )
What is the best way to clean those without getting dust everywhere ?
I thought I read where someone puts a old pillowcase cover on each blade and cleans them that way. Anyone do that ?

From a cleaning standpoint, dark floors are just about the worst thing you can put in Las Vegas. The best bet is neutral tan floors. Go outside and look at the color of the ground. That's the color of the dust. And that's what color the floor should be.

As for the ceiling fans, we vacuum the bulk of it off and then use a damp cloth.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM

421 posts, read 898,612 times
I keep Swiffers in most rooms and when the phone rings I pick one up and dust while talking - makes the time go by much faster.

Also, make sure that if you have desert landscaping that the rocks are really in a thick layer, it cuts down on the dust.

Good luck and pretty soon you won't even notice it anymore. Just a way of life here

Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 PM

127 posts, read 227,209 times
In our experience, expensive filters didn't seem to offer any improvement. We have tan tile flooring so you don't notice the dust so much on the floor. We use a Swiffer dry mop on the floor, about twice a week, and Swiffer electrostatic dusters on everything else. We do the fans first as there is generally some fallout in the process. Then we complain about the dust. Also, we park our shoes at the door, which seems to help a little.

Suck it up. That's life in the desert.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:12 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Welcome to Vegas. The dust capitol of the world.

The only thing that's helped me at all is to be clutter free. It's still a struggle. At least it's easier to dust that way. I vacuum the ceiling fans with the long hose extension and actually clean the blades once a year or so. Light colored tile helps because it hides the dust and if you clean it with a Shark you can pick it all up. Use the plastic grout and keep the grout lines small as possible. Tile baseboards too. Much easier to clean. I keep all my good bags and shoes in old pillow cases to minimize the dust. I collected all the pillow cases from thrift stores.

Dark wood floors would be very hard to keep clean. And carpet just absorbs all the dust and you can never remove it.
And some pillow cases from me. I have since acquired some more new ones. If anyone needs some dust, I have more than I need. So feel free to take some.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:49 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Swiffer dusters are your friend. Also, for the floors, try one of these Refurbished: Neato XV-12 Automatic Vacuum Cleaner, Colors May Vary - Manufacturer Refurbished

My BF has one and it vacuums every day. It doesn't tackle heavy jobs, but it works great on dust and pet dander.

PS. the dust used to be a LOT worse during the construction boom. Ugh.
Neatos are awesome perfect for pet hair and dirt-they pick up a lot more than Roombas but.... don't bother with refurbished. We had to return ours due to errors. Apparently they have a bug in their software causing a lot of problems.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
And some pillow cases from me. I have since acquired some more new ones. If anyone needs some dust, I have more than I need. So feel free to take some.
And I use them too! Thanks Pink! I still think of you whenever I get out one of the ones you gave me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas