Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:17 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

The problem with that is twofold. On one side, someone who's pulling this **** might be prepared for that. And even if you own the house, if they're claiming residency, and you enter the house without permission, they could shoot you, claim self defense, and it would likely stick.

The other side is that if you try of forcefully kick them out, they could call the cops, claim illegal eviction, be right (under the law), and you go to jail. Then they sue you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'd buy "the boys" some beer and let them take care of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 11:18 AM

Google "bump key".

If you haven't upgraded the locks on your house from what the contractor put on there (even if you've changed them with the same grade locks), you might as well leave the doors unlocked.

A gratuitous video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=131j0htYIoU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
How did they get in the house with no key?
If they broke in then it would be breaking and entering.
Surely the cops would have seen some form of forced entry somewhere?

Old 05-31-2014, 11:51 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Google "bump key".

If you haven't upgraded the locks on your house from what the contractor put on there (even if you've changed them with the same grade locks), you might as well leave the doors unlocked.

A gratuitous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=131j0htYIoU

I know that I changed all the deadbolts to Schlage but I don't think they are bump proof.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:02 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
I've not seen a soul around there today, although they are still in there. My wife is absolutely disgusted with the whole situation, she cant believe people could be so ignorant and rude.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:04 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBeta View Post
This topic really infuriates me because the squatters have so many rights.

What would YOU do (I'm asking everyone here) if you went on vacation and came home to people squatting in your house?

I'm hoping that since I have an alarm, that if somebody breaks in, the cops will arrest them if they try to move in.

Most of the articles I have read about people coming home from vacation to find squatters, didn't have an alarm. How could you just stand by with strangers living in your house, with your stuff, and not be able to kick them out? Not sure it has ever happened in Vegas, but it has happened in other parts of the country.
I guarantee you, if we ever came home to people in our house, it would be a big fight long before the cops could show up!

Old 05-31-2014, 12:50 PM

No. Schlage keys are the same old fashioned stuff as kwikset, etc.. If you want bump resistant, you need Medico, Multilock, Abloy, and other more expensive, professional cylinders.

Quote:
I know that I changed all the deadbolts to Schlage but I don't think they are bump proof.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:44 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
@LasVegasPlayer - The HOA just continues levying a fine. If the bank doesn't pay then the next buyer will eventually have to.
I thought I read there was a cumulative limit on HOA fines in Nevada - maybe it was time based, such as, fines can only accumulate for 6 months. Or something.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:58 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
If they have cars in the drive way, let all the air out of the tires is a good way to get them to come out sooner or later. With Metro not responding to non injury accidents, I would hope they have more time to deal with the crimes, of theft and breaking an entry.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:05 PM

The problem with these things from the cops point of view, is that they rapidly become "he said / she said" situations, that would take some degree of actual investigation to determine who is telling the truth. The cops don't want to deal with that, so they declare it a residency situation, and the owner deal with it as an eviction.

Owners in Vegas can consider themselves lucky they have such LL friendly eviction rules. In NY, if an owner has to go to court to get an eviction, it can be a six month process, even if the situation is clear cut.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
How did they get in the house with no key?
If they broke in then it would be breaking and entering.
Surely the cops would have seen some form of forced entry somewhere?
Those lock boxes are not that difficult to get into. Sometimes these people use the same code for all their properties or they use some generic code. I've tried locks where I use 0000 and boom! it opens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas