Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
2. OTOH, an owner can answer any questions you might have. Maybe even give you an honest answer rather than telling you what you want to hear to make a sale. Potential buyer: "That carpet looks new. Is it?" Owner: "Nope, it is 5 years old and was here when the house was built. We had it professionally cleaned before putting the place up for sale".

Believe an owner?

Me: Are there any leaks in the roof?

Owner: No, there have been no leaks in the roofs in the 20 years I have owned the place.

Me: Then why is the plaster coming down in two bedrooms and there is mold throughout the attic?

Owner: Well, that's just a small leak.

"lies, lies, all those sweet little lies ..."

The REALTORS that I work with are NOT seller's agents and they are just as ready to rip a property as to praise it. If not, I find a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:52 PM

200 posts, read 271,237 times
liars, liars, everywhere.

Notice I said MAYBE you would get an honest answer from an owner. Not guaranteed.

But you'll definitely be talking to someone more knowledgeable about the house. Use your own judgement on whether he is telling the truth.

Me, I kinda sorta would be more likely to believe a random person over a professional sales person. And if the random person were a big liar, I think I would be able to spot it more easily than I would a lie from a professional sales person.

But I do agree that the professional sales person is more likely to dance and jive rather than an outright lie.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
liars, liars, everywhere.

Notice I said MAYBE you would get an honest answer from an owner. Not guaranteed.

But you'll definitely be talking to someone more knowledgeable about the house. Use your own judgement on whether he is telling the truth.

Me, I kinda sorta would be more likely to believe a random person over a professional sales person. And if the random person were a big liar, I think I would be able to spot it more easily than I would a lie from a professional sales person.

But I do agree that the professional sales person is more likely to dance and jive rather than an outright lie.
Ask the home owner what kind of AC he has. The size and SEER. See how much (s)he knows. How big is your water heater?

It is amazing how little people actually know about there homes...

Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 PM

113 posts, read 358,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Ask the home owner what kind of AC he has. The size and SEER. See how much (s)he knows. How big is your water heater?

It is amazing how little people actually know about there homes...
That's actually so true. I had no clue what size water heater, etc. Luckily I had all the original paperwork and inspections to gather all that information. As for lying, not the way I'd play it but I guess other people, agents or owners would for a variety of reasons. Isn't that what home inspections are for? It would be nice to sell our house as we will most likely not live here again but we aren't in any financial distress and can carry the mortgage with no tenant in place indefinitely if needed.

I have to say I will miss LV. It's been a good city for us and we've enjoyed our > 10 years here.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:56 PM

11 posts, read 10,349 times
You can definitely sell your house on your own. However the statistics show that around 90% of the people who try to do that end up using a realtor in the end anyway. It is not as easy as it seems, not by a long shot because your house will not have a even 1% of the exposure if its not in the MLS and professionally marketed. Agents will not bring you buyers. You are restricted to what people see your sign and whatever advertising you do on your own. Be prepared to hear crickets month after month, meanwhile you are paying mortgage and in the end you will still in 9/10 cases end up paying that realtor commission.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 PM

200 posts, read 271,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkKent22 View Post
You can definitely sell your house on your own. However the statistics show that around 90% of the people who try to do that end up using a realtor in the end anyway. It is not as easy as it seems, not by a long shot because your house will not have a even 1% of the exposure if its not in the MLS and professionally marketed. Agents will not bring you buyers. You are restricted to what people see your sign and whatever advertising you do on your own. Be prepared to hear crickets month after month, meanwhile you are paying mortgage and in the end you will still in 9/10 cases end up paying that realtor commission.
Getting in the MLS is important for FSBO. I see they can now get in MLS for as low as $100.

I question the value of "professionally marketed". With zillow.com, realtor.com, and lots of other real estate sites on the web, does "professionally marketed" really provide a good value? Sometimes you need the salesman who can "sell a refrigerator to an eskimo", sometimes the product sells itself.

One thing you do get by using a realtor is access to a certain class of buyers. These would be the buyers who call a realtor as the initial, first step in getting a house. FSBO sellers will be looking for buyers who are comfortable doing things without a realtor. They would be the class of buyers who would search realtor.com or zillow or trulia first before talking to a realtor.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 PM

11 posts, read 10,349 times
Quote:
FSBO sellers will be looking for buyers who are comfortable doing things without a realtor.
That's the problem. This is a tiny minority of buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: