Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM

36 posts, read 54,652 times

Advertisements

I think part of the problem is people usually meet other people at work or school or some type of social setting. I work from home, I'm not in school, and like I said I'm probably not outgoing enough to just go hang out in the arts district by myself and try to meet people.

So, I try to meet people online (locally). But, I guess that's limited.

I also think a lot of the unconventional people that are here already have their little cliques and are not looking. Some are loners. And some, their life is just unstable.

Last edited by arch.stanton; 06-05-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM

200 posts, read 271,122 times
arch, unfortunately most of us truly unconventional people have had to go underground. The problem began when the ordinary, common people started calling us "hipsters". Like an unconventional person could be labelled!

I even had one guy tell me that each basic ordinary generic person was unconventional in some way. I mean really, the nerve of some people.

Then the real problems began. After they started calling us unconventional people hipsters, polls began to pop up and people were saying the hipsters were annoying. And they put us unconventional people in that group so we've had to go underground lest we be harassed.

But take heart! We're out there, we are just keeping a low profile to avoid the negative vibes we get from the conventional people.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 PM

I thought hipsters were people with beards that dressed bad

Old 06-05-2014, 06:48 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I'm not hipster, but my wife and I are pin-up/rockabilly respectively. Come hang with us at Dino's some night.. you'll be fine. You will find that people here don't judge. We're all weird in some respect. I'm 40 with tattoos on every appendage and torso, piercings, etc. I have made over 100 friends in just about a year (it'll be a year on Saturday). Las Vegas has a GREAT vibe.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 PM

Thanks Raiderman, I appreciate the offer. The problem is I'm a non-smoker and a lot of these places have smoking.

By the way, do you like the Raiders? If so, we'll have to talk about the rivalry between the Steelers and Raiders in the '70s

Old 06-06-2014, 10:37 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Man the old steelers were great.... Mean joe Greene, Franco Harris, Bradshaw....now that was a team...

Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.stanton View Post

For example, if you search on Meetup.com for "unconventional" (or similar words) and set the distance to "any distance". There are lots of groups, but nothing in Las Vegas. Same thing on sites like POF or OKC.
Start your own Meetup group!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Is there such a thing as generically unconventional? Seems a bit oxymoronic. The question then becomes, what specific community are you looking for.

In point of fact, off the strip, Vegas is pretty conventional for the US. It's lack of anything like real residential urbanism seems to put off the type of people you seem to be looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.stanton View Post
Unconventional, someone who is different and interesting and isn't just your basic ordinary generic person. People that aren't really part of mainstream society. People that have obscure interests. People that think for themselves and don't just follow. Anyway, you get the point...

Thanks

You can meet people in the "Community" section (or the "Personals").

Yes. These are people that I know or have met, and say they have experienced the same thing.

From what I hear, places like Portland, OR are better suited for what I'm looking for.

For example, if you search on Meetup.com for "unconventional" (or similar words) and set the distance to "any distance". There are lots of groups, but nothing in Las Vegas. Same thing on sites like POF or OKC.

Last edited by BBMW; 06-06-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's lack of anything like real residential urbanism seems to put off the type of people you seem to be looking for.
It certainly is that way for me. Remove the Strip from Las Vegas, and we're Phoenix. Mindless consumerism doesn't do anything for me. And that's basically what makes Las Vegas tick.

And the fact that we don't have a single proper pub in this town doesn't help. I'd open one if I thought it would at least break even.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:35 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
When we were touring places back in April we kept passing this huge Pirate's festival in the park that was going all weekend long. I was thinking to myself that was unconventional and why didn't we have those in the Pacific Northwest? Arr! Anyways I guess that's a thing here because looking for it on Google there's another one coming up in June.

But if you mean unconventional like the PNW Seattle/Portland intellectual, think outside of the box, innovative, progressive, sustainable, environmentally conscious, humanitarian, technologically savvy, artistic, natural, organic, healthy habits, spiritually inclined or enlightened but not religious, compassionate, peacemaker, who likes modern elements mixed with traditional and industrial elements and recycling we'll friend - it takes all kinds in this world and you're never alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: