Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times

Advertisements

To some degree, I agree.

Now it is all about economics.

In run down neighborhoods, they have hole in the wall churches on every block. Mostly, they are scam operations taking away from what the poor have left. Rise of the unordained pastors!

You will only find mega churches in upper class neighborhoods, where the church is feeding at the wealthy troughs!

I used to go to church when I was right out of college to meet these really beautiful fine ladies on Sundays. I don't know how anyone cannot have attraction thoughts in their heads, even under the watch of the lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You may have nailed it on the head,

Where did Jesus eat and stay?

With tax collectors, prostitutes, and other assorted sinners.

Christians tend to congregate where they are most needed.

The most welcome person in a church that is doing things right is a sinner, because all true Christians were and are sinners.

If they were not, then they wouldn't need Jesus Christ.

A town that calls itself "Sin City" is thus the natural place for God to do his best work.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
How do you know that you haven't run into a lot of Mormon's? It's not like they have a big M on their forehead.
Have you never been to SLC? Some quite literally wear the nametag announcing their Mormonism.

Even so, having lived in Salt Lake City for a couple years, there is definitely a "Mo" vibe the wife and I can pick up on... Large family, blond hair, super-friendly in an almost unwarranted way, last name Hendrickson/Henderson/Christensen/Sorensen or some such derivative, unusually well-behaved kids. No single trait is a confirmation, but all of the above is like hitting the LDS jackjot.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
If I remember right years ago there used to be religoius conventions or gatherings in Las Vegas and I always thought it was odd they would go there... But then again people use religion as they wish whether or not it goes against the teachings... People are people and it doesn't matter how often they go to church or read the book they will still do what they want or go where they want.... Heck when I used to live in the south some of the biggest "sinners" were the people who went to church all the timne and had bible study and such....

Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times
It has to be the ladies they keep going to church for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
If I remember right years ago there used to be religoius conventions or gatherings in Las Vegas and I always thought it was odd they would go there... But then again people use religion as they wish whether or not it goes against the teachings... People are people and it doesn't matter how often they go to church or read the book they will still do what they want or go where they want.... Heck when I used to live in the south some of the biggest "sinners" were the people who went to church all the timne and had bible study and such....

Old 06-16-2014, 11:16 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Have you never been to SLC? Some quite literally wear the nametag announcing their Mormonism.

Even so, having lived in Salt Lake City for a couple years, there is definitely a "Mo" vibe the wife and I can pick up on... Large family, blond hair, super-friendly in an almost unwarranted way, last name Hendrickson/Henderson/Christensen/Sorensen or some such derivative, unusually well-behaved kids. No single trait is a confirmation, but all of the above is like hitting the LDS jackjot.
Super friendly, well-behaved kids. Man, who'd want to spend any time around those types! My "Mo" family is small -- two olive skinned, brown haired kids -- both grown and living with significant others -- with a Hispanic last name. So much for hitting the LDS jackpot. Maybe we ought to think of moving elsewhere so we could fit in better.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Super friendly, well-behaved kids. Man, who'd want to spend any time around those types!
You really do need to get a grip. Who said anything about not wanting to spend time around "those types"?

You did.

The fact that your specific family breaks the mold means nothing. If you don't see these traits as common among LDS families, you are either blind or lying. I never said anything about them being negative (quite the opposite), so calm down... defensive much?

Last edited by logline; 06-16-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
The fact that your specific family breaks the mold means nothing. If you don't see these traits as common among LDS families, you are either blind or lying. I never said anything about them being negative (quite the opposite), so calm down... defensive much?
Calm down? Good grief, man. Sounds like you're the one who's worked up. Don't give yourself a heart attack there.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
I live in LDS central. The Las Vegas temple is a five-iron drive away from my house. To suggest that there isn't a Mormon "type" is intellectually dishonest.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 PM

8,421 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:

All horrible things, especially the well-behaved kids.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM

8,421 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I live in LDS central. The Las Vegas temple is a five-iron drive away from my house. To suggest that there isn't a Mormon "type" is intellectually dishonest.
Not any more intellectually dishonest then to suggest there isn't a liberal, blowhard, insecure "I must remind everyone I'm better in every way" type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: