Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,114 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to Las Vegas and have been away for a few years. When I lived there before I knew the hospitals were pretty bad especially the ones in the Valley System. Anyone can suggest a good hospital for emergency use and for a person with cardiac issues. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
I just spent two weeks at Valley Springs. I wouldn't recommend that hospital. The people were friendly enough and the care seemed alright, but I'm pretty sure I was "long hauled" (if such a term exists in that industry). There wasn't any reason that I should have been there for most of the second week, and the doctors all but stopped visiting me during that time. I have no physical proof, but I can't shake the very strong feeling that I was being kept the extra days simply so they could bill the insurance for the extra time I spent there. I finally had to demand to be discharged, and when I was, it wasn't against the doctor's advice.

Also, they seem to have a shortage of rooms. I spent the first day in the emergency room (most of that time was after I was admitted) because they didn't have any available rooms, and I was moved three more times in the next four days in a frustrating game of musical hospital beds.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
My insurance isn't great so I was limited to choices. Summerlin was excellent. I had open heart. Wife is currently in Summerlin with abdominal issues.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,114 times
Default Hospitals

Thanks for the replies. I wonder why City officials cannot do something about the poor quality of hospitals in a City the size of Las Vegas? There is not a single hospital on the U S New and World Reports annual survey of best hospitals in the Nation.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph49000 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I wonder why City officials cannot do something about the poor quality of hospitals in a City the size of Las Vegas? There is not a single hospital on the U S New and World Reports annual survey of best hospitals in the Nation.
All of the hospitals here, except UMC and (supposedly) non-profit De Lima hospitals, are for-profit hospitals. The only thing the govt. can do is pull Medicare reimbursement, which they have threatened to do with a few of them.

Valley Hospital System =UHS
De Lima (now known as Dignity Health) = CHW, formerly Catholic Healthcare West
The Sunrise Hospitals = HCA, Hospital Corporation of America

This is what happened when we all decided that Sierra Health and Life / HPN was the best option in the valley because it was cheapest. This company was purchased by United Healthcare, who are real peaches.

For that cheap decision, we also bought the Desei disaster where a bunch of people were forced to use that clinic because it was the only one on the list For those that don't know, Desai re-used single use vials AND syringes on people to save a buck.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
I get through the hospital systems reasonably often. If I was deathly ill...heart attack or car accident there is only UMC. Otherwise I use the St. Rose on St. Rose. My cardiologist has another lab he prefers and we go there...but his view is that hospital is unsuited for anything else so I won't mention it.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I just spent two weeks at Valley Springs. I wouldn't recommend that hospital. The people were friendly enough and the care seemed alright, but I'm pretty sure I was "long hauled" (if such a term exists in that industry). There wasn't any reason that I should have been there for most of the second week, and the doctors all but stopped visiting me during that time. I have no physical proof, but I can't shake the very strong feeling that I was being kept the extra days simply so they could bill the insurance for the extra time I spent there. I finally had to demand to be discharged, and when I was, it wasn't against the doctor's advice.

Also, they seem to have a shortage of rooms. I spent the first day in the emergency room (most of that time was after I was admitted) because they didn't have any available rooms, and I was moved three more times in the next four days in a frustrating game of musical hospital beds.
What insurance do you carry? Most of the time the hospital is motivated to discharge you as quickly as possible to make sure there is a profit on your stay.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:55 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
Try

Medicare Hospital Compare Quality of Care

To compare hospitals

Old 07-04-2014, 11:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,215 times
Don't rely on hospitals. Focus on your health via exercise and diet. The first step is to achieve a good posture. You'll breathe better.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:54 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Here is a link that shows how the health care is rated in the Las Vegas Valley.

Best Las Vegas, Nevada Hospitals. Compare, reviews & ratings.
Read up, 007 posted this not long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: