Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times

Advertisements

A couple of photos during the rain the other night, view from my porch. Excuse the exposure I was holding the camera and just took quick shots.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
You keep pining for Carmel, so I did a quick Redfin scan. Anything anywhere near the water (a mile or less) is pushing a million or up, unless it's raw land. Then it's over a half a million. If you're up in the hills east of town, why bother.

The houses themselves are nothing special. In Vegas, they'd be a quarter the price or less. Given the same amount of money to spend, I'd think I'd rather have the cheaper, equivalent Vegas house, and be able to spend money on other things (travel, cars, other stuff.) Why tie all your money up in a house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Sure you do. Maybe not for the "big ranch next to the ocean." But you could certainly move to the immediate vicinity and enjoy 90% of those amenities right now. But you'd have to give up most of your monthly expenses to do that. Most Americans cannot separate a "need" from a "want." And therefore they are chained to their cell phone plan, their daily Starbucks, and the interest on their debt.

Even though I do not like living in Las Vegas, I am here because I want to be here. My mother in law has to live in the desert for her health. (And Las Vegas is better than Phoenix. Although that isn't saying much.) My wife wants to be close to mom. And I vowed I'd stick with her, no matter what. So here I am.

But someday I'll be able to change my handle to Scoop-HI or Scoop-Monterey or similar. Just keep your eye on the goal, not on life's daily clutter.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You keep pining for Carmel, so I did a quick Redfin scan. Anything anywhere near the water (a mile or less) is pushing a million or up, unless it's raw land. Then it's over a half a million. If you're up in the hills east of town, why bother.

The houses themselves are nothing special. In Vegas, they'd be a quarter the price or less. Given the same amount of money to spend, I'd think I'd rather have the cheaper, equivalent Vegas house, and be able to spend money on other things (travel, cars, other stuff.) Why tie all your money up in a house?
The climate and the people are basically the same in the hills. But some people aren't interested unless they live directly on the beach at Carmel by the Sea.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM

Okay, but it's not much cheaper up there either. More over a mill than under it.

Are your carpentry skills up to building a house from scratch (I see a few nice lots for sale)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The climate and the people are basically the same in the hills. But some people aren't interested unless they live directly on the beach at Carmel by the Sea.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
I lived 17 years in the Southern CA coastal plain. I would not do it again. I would live in California certainly but inland 10 miles or so. Perhaps keep a boat in a marina on the coast. The coastal plain has too many negatives weather wise.

Avalon on Catalina is a grand place. Expensive but really a much nicer climate than the mainland. I would think though island fever is certain.

If money was no object I would go the multiple home route and move as the year progresses.

We strongly considered Maui at one point. Decided we could not deal with the weather and island fever. Maybe Honolulu but not the other islands.

I go east only for weddings and funerals other than that I stay in the SW.

I would think about a winter place north of Puerto Vallarta. Nice country and a much nicer ocean than California.

there are certainly wonderful places in the Caribbean and the South Pacific. Many though would lead to island fever.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:52 PM

427 posts, read 630,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

When you pay $1M for a house in Carmel or a similar area, you're not just paying for the house; you're also paying for the community. I'm sure Clint doesn't have a zillion plastic bags clinging to chain link fences around empty lots, or neighbors with cars on blocks, or is approached at the gas station by people asking for money, or have a dozen shopping carts tipped upside down at the end of his street.

You pay thru the nose to live in those small-town communities; high house prices and enormous property taxes. I used to live 10 miles from the Microsoft campus. It was a FANTASTIC little community but my house sold for almost 3 times what I paid for my house in LV and my property tax was $3800 for a 1200' house.

Last edited by longton52; 07-07-2014 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
To anybody who moved to the Vegas area from somewhere with lush green, etc. (northern climates or SE USA, etc), what was it like psychologically, did you adapt and how long did it take? I am in northern MN, lush green grass everywhere, pine trees, other trees, and it will seem so odd if move to Vegas to transition to arid desert with cacti and no lush greenness. Of course I would also be giving up the nasty whiteness of snow and ice, lol, and that i can do without, this last winter did me in. Just wondering if immigrants to Vegas from places such as OR, MN, etc get used to the desert and such and how long it takes, or if one never gets used to it?
Joe
Duluth Minnesota
retired; writer, filmmaker, composer
How many months of lush greenery do you have in Duluth in an average year? I'm guessing it's only around 4-5 months with the non-coniferous vegetation going into cold dormancy the rest of the year.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM

Let's talk apples to apples. For a third of that mill, you're not in the slums of Vegas. You probably are in a nice, well maintained, likely gated community. No garbage blowing in the wind, no cars on block, etc.. You don't have the ocean, and you do have the summer heat. But what about the opportunity cost of that other $666,666? You can probably do stuff to mitigate the summer heat and lack of ocean with the income that would generate. Scoop could probably buy and rent out three houses for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
When you pay $1M for a house in Carmel or a similar area, you're not just paying for the house; you're also paying for the community. I'm sure Clint doesn't have a zillion plastic bags clinging to chain link fences around empty lots, or neighbors with cars on blocks, or is approached at the gas station by people asking for money, or have a dozen shopping carts tipped upside down at the end of his street.

You pay thru the nose to live in those small-town communities; high house prices and enormous property taxes. I used to live 10 miles from the Microsoft campus. It was a FANTASTIC little community but my house sold for almost 3 times what I paid for my house in LV and my property tax was $3800 for a 1200' house.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
When I moved to LV from Santa Barbara, I recall thinking this place was barren. The population was maybe 350K county wide. The freeways looked like a scene in MadMax Beyond Thunderdome. I came for opportunity being a new college graduate. Fast forward 10 years. I was so sick of desert allergies (dust) and soot on my shoes and the lack of greenery. We got a chance to move to NW Florida for 3 years and then I learned what miserable really was. Too much flora and fauna. Las Vegas ain't so bad but it's the people that get to you. If I could afford some acreage, I'd make this place my forever home. But the plan is to keep the Vegas place and get outta Dodge in the less tolerable times.

The icing is that the property is cheap. Thus once it's paid off, one came move on and rent or visit when you choose.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:41 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
Another interesting question might be ..... how many of you plan to stay here; Las Vegas will be your last home?
Me! I have no plans to leave. Sometimes life changes but I want to stay here!

Scoop, vacation in any of the places you mentioned would be great but I wouldn't want to live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas