Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:37 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Went to [two different car dealers]

As soon as we got out of the car in the parking lot, we got approach by a swarm of greeters aka henchmen. Almost like gang members walking up to you. It was intimidating.

At both dealers, we sat down and they wouldn't do an appraisal unless we signed into a contract. I'm like I'm here to test drive as well. They wouldn't allow a test drive and require "locking" into a car. WTF kind of dealerships are these?

My feeling is that in Vegas auto sales is a much more bottom line business and they only care about you signing a purchase contract. Sales people are struggling and desperate with the dealership putting a gun behind their head to make the sale.

I decided not to be in this pressure environment, so I told guys at both dealership I needed to hit the restroom, only to walk to my car and bail.

I love living in Vegas thus far though!
If you are looking for a used car, I would recommend Carmax. I had my car appraised there and it was hassle free. No pressure to sell or buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:59 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
That is how they want salesmen to be. I was encouraged to chase moving cars down.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:43 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
Carmax is by far the worst. The prices are the highest and their credit terms are horryifying.

I had a great experience with Towbin Fiat. No pressure. All negotiating including the trade was by email.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
Towbin Fiat is a special place.
Very specific, and caters to a very specific group. They do not have to be aggressive or shady there.
I probably would have done a lot better there than at their Dodge dealership.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
My situation was weird. Was trying to sell my BMW and was interested in the Fiat. Got a good trade in value and bought a brand new 500 for 12,800. (Sticker was 17,095). I got the one that was advertised on their website.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:59 PM

775 posts, read 775,717 times
Never go into a dealership alone if female, whether to buy or get a repair done.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
I recently purchased a car by e mailing the sales managers here in town and also in our neighboring States. I found the local dealers ( 2 dealers ) had a take or leave it attitude. I found one out of State dealer about 200 miles away that had the best offer. I saved a little over $3200 on my purchase by this method. I never stepped foot into any of the dealerships.
I have done something similar with my purchases years ago. I will test drive, talk to the salesperson, and leave with their contact information. I submit an offer from home, via email, with my POF, and say "Don't call me unless you accept this price."

Works great and you avoid the games they play to wear you down (IE waiting, which I will not do.)

Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 AM

550 posts, read 637,339 times
Best strategy for my husband and me was to secure our financing at our credit union (1.99%), walk into CarMax choose the vehicle we liked, test drive, hand them the check. No pushing, no 4 square BS, no nothing. Outside of that, tell them you are paying cash, and already have the money for a fixed amount and suddenly you don't look like bait.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
Best strategy for my husband and me was to secure our financing at our credit union (1.99%), walk into CarMax choose the vehicle we liked, test drive, hand them the check. No pushing, no 4 square BS, no nothing. Outside of that, tell them you are paying cash, and already have the money for a fixed amount and suddenly you don't look like bait.
I disagree with this strategy. Negotiate via email with the Internet Sales Department. The only time you should be in the dealership is to write the check. Or, even better, have them deliver the car. We bought my wife's certified pre-owned car this way. I'll never do it any other way again, if I have to deal with a dealership. (The make and model we wanted was ONLY available at a dealership. The car was only sold for a short amount of time and only in New York and California. So it took quite some time to find locally.)

Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying on Edmunds.com

Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
Yes, always best to obtain financing on your own first. Dealers will also pack the loan and you'll end up paying thousands more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: