Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times

Advertisements

We to the drive at least once a month and I think we have it down to a reasonable level.

We leave San Diego on Friday's no later than 2pm, using the I-15 -> I-215 -> I-15 route. Takes us 4.5 - 5 hours.

On the way home we leave Las Vegas on Sunday no later than 10am. Same route back and takes 5 hours.

The bottleneck on the way back is aways at the Nevada/Cali border where 3 lanes turn into 2 and then you have a steep grade up to the turn off to Zzyzx (how the heck do you pronouce it?!?!?). The other bottleneck on the way back to San Diego is the agriculture inspection station by Yermo.

My GPS actually has a great feature which detours me around any traffic, it's worked the last 2 times on my trip by taking me through side roads and highways to by-pass traffic due to accidents or congestion (Magellan Roadmate 5045).

Last time we went, we actually left Saturday morning at 6am and got there in 4.5 hours with absolutely no traffic all the way to Vegas. I'm usually there on business so I figure that leaving Saturday morning, I usually get into Vegas around the time I'm ready to go for the morning if I stayed in the hotel the night before.

The steepest grade on the whole trip would be on the I-15 where the San Andreas fault passes through at Cajon Pass in between San Bernadino and Victorville. This is essentially where the earth's Pacific plate meets the North American plate, it's quite a sight if you know what your looking at.

If your in an older vehicle, better to keep the AC off during this stretch as I've seen many cars stopped on the side of the road due to over heating in this area ... and if an earthquake strikes, you'll be shallowed whole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 PM

280 posts, read 571,843 times
Its not real hard to get to San Diego, hop on the 15 south and your there. Esconidido will be off of the 78 Freeway, Miramar the 163, Downtown, stadium, beaches, airport would then be off of I-8. I-15 will eventually end into I-5 in National City, which is south of San Diego, will take you to Coronado and Mexico.

A "general" rule of thumb to remember is that in most metropolitan areas, in the mornings traffic moves towards downtown, in the evenings the traffic moves away from downtown.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM

280 posts, read 571,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Zzyzx (how the heck do you pronouce it?!?!?).
I have always pronounced it like Zy-six. Wikipedia says ˈzaɪzɨks.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:52 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
We to the drive at least once a month and I think we have it down to a reasonable level.

We leave San Diego on Friday's no later than 2pm, using the I-15 -> I-215 -> I-15 route. Takes us 4.5 - 5 hours.

On the way home we leave Las Vegas on Sunday no later than 10am. Same route back and takes 5 hours.

The bottleneck on the way back is aways at the Nevada/Cali border where 3 lanes turn into 2 and then you have a steep grade up to the turn off to Zzyzx (how the heck do you pronouce it?!?!?). The other bottleneck on the way back to San Diego is the agriculture inspection station by Yermo.

My GPS actually has a great feature which detours me around any traffic, it's worked the last 2 times on my trip by taking me through side roads and highways to by-pass traffic due to accidents or congestion (Magellan Roadmate 5045).

Last time we went, we actually left Saturday morning at 6am and got there in 4.5 hours with absolutely no traffic all the way to Vegas. I'm usually there on business so I figure that leaving Saturday morning, I usually get into Vegas around the time I'm ready to go for the morning if I stayed in the hotel the night before.

The steepest grade on the whole trip would be on the I-15 where the San Andreas fault passes through at Cajon Pass in between San Bernadino and Victorville. This is essentially where the earth's Pacific plate meets the North American plate, it's quite a sight if you know what your looking at.

If your in an older vehicle, better to keep the AC off during this stretch as I've seen many cars stopped on the side of the road due to over heating in this area ... and if an earthquake strikes, you'll be shallowed whole
So taking the I 215 is no problem? I'm going the end of the month. Can't wait...need a break from the hot, not-so dry, heat!

Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
So taking the I 215 is no problem? I'm going the end of the month. Can't wait...need a break from the hot, not-so dry, heat!
Like others have said, it is full of construction, so really it comes down to what time you'd be on that highway. However, that being said, the traffic I have experienced (during rush hours), it was still flowing ... not stop and go, so it was bearable.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
It took us 8 hours to get to San Diego last week. The construction on I-215 right now creates several bottlenecks and narrow winding turns, especially near Parris. Riverside too. It might be OK during ordinary times, but not right now, and the way it looks, probably not for a few years. My friends in San Diego always insist that the best route is I-15 all the way, and they've made the trip hundreds of times. It usually takes us about 5 hours on I-15, but we've done it in 4½. That's really pushing it though, averaging over 75 MPH all the way. Doesn't leave any time to stop for gas or food, and most cars won't make it all the way on one tank.

According to MapQuest the I-15 route is five miles longer and three minutes more drive time. The aggravation of I-215 construction is hardly worth a couple of extra miles/minutes. But each must make his own decisions.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 AM

131 posts, read 401,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Do not follow MapQuest or GPS directions to take I-215 at San Bernardino. Stick with I-15 all the way.
I also dont understand why the GPS messes up this route. I also took the 215 once a few years back...big mistake that I only made once.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,442 times
I'm avoiding I-215! Thanks for the update.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
I'm avoiding I-215! Thanks for the update.
Never the less, you will be tempted my son. Turn away. Turn away.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 AM

390 posts, read 379,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjudd View Post
Oh, and I second Buzz's recommendation about I-15. Wife always trys to convince me to take 215 as it is "shorter".. but NOT quicker. Always construction/congestion and whatnot. I-15 all the way!
Not to mention if you drive through Norco on the 215 plug your nose. There are a lot of dairy farms there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas