Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times

Advertisements

Oh man everyone loves in n out. I jst don't like it. 5 guys is better but not my cup of tea either. But I am not much for over the top food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 01:46 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Massive menu goes against my intuition of what constitutes a good restaurant.
Eh, they pull it off though.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I was going to throw in Hash House a Go Go, but strictly speaking, that's not a local place.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Eh, they pull it off though.
There's only one page of that menu that really matters -- the Northern Thai dishes that makes Lotus so much better than the average "pad-thai-and-tom-yum-soup" joint.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:01 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
There's only one page of that menu that really matters -- the Northern Thai dishes that makes Lotus so much better than the average "pad-thai-and-tom-yum-soup" joint.
Yeah, I forgot to add that. D'oh! Vegas does Thai well though.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM

427 posts, read 630,234 times
I've read about Hash House a go go several times on this forum so we finally went. It wasn't even average and the service was terrible. I don't eat meat so we ordered b'fast, egg dishes. It was very disappointing .... I sure wouldn't go back.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
I've read about Hash House a go go several times on this forum so we finally went. It wasn't even average and the service was terrible. I don't eat meat so we ordered b'fast, egg dishes. It was very disappointing .... I sure wouldn't go back.
I've been savaging the average Las Vegan recently. But when it comes to restaurants, it is justified. This is the city that votes Olive Garden as the reader's choice for Best Italian Restaurant every year. I don't read online reviews of our restaurants because they are written by locals, who time and again prove that they don't know anything about food.

The only time the average resident visits the great restaurants in town is for Restaurant Week -- and only then because the great restaurants are losing their shirts on food cost in the name of charity. It isn't even a loss leader because the typical Restaurant Week patron doesn't return until next year for Restaurant Week. (Unless the cost of a prix fixe meal is around $50, it's dismissed as too much money for a meal.) Don't get me wrong. I'm glad people experience our great restaurants -- even if annually.

At the end of the day, the best off-strip restaurants are low-end. Not low-end quality, mind you, just low-end for prices. Because that's the kind of business the public demands. There are great cheap restaurants dotted around the valley. And there are great expensive restaurants on the strip. There isn't much in between worth mentioning.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM

698 posts, read 985,388 times
Here are a few of mine:
Leticia's Mexican Cocina, Centennial
Divine Eatery - Centennial
Serrano's Mexican (good cheap Mexican food, family run) - East of Summerlin
Mezzo Bistro and Wine (I think this place is YMMV, I like it) - Not sure what you'd call this area
Fat Burger - Any location!

Anyone able to help me out with a good local Pan Roast place other than Palace Station? Also, there's got to be some off the chart Asian places in China Town, right? A recommendation here would be great too.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
I had a similar experience at HH when it was at The M. Terrible food and terrible service. Was glad to see them leave The M. Will not go to HH anywhere else though now either.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:04 PM

799 posts, read 707,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Settebello, Pizza Rock, the lunch counter at Market 168, the Thai Restaurant at Sunset and US-95, the hole-in-the-wall Tex-Mex places on the east side of town, Cafe Heidelberg and Hofbrauhaus. (Although I'd count Hofbrauhaus as "Strip" because of it's proximity to Hard Rock.) I'm looking for a good Bahn-Mi joint now that Mr. Sandwich has closed. I'm still looking for real barbecue in this city.

But for the price of any of those places (except Bahn Mi, naturally), locals can eat on the Strip during Restaurant Week. That's the point I'm unsuccessfully trying to make.
Do your tastebuds, and unfortunately, your stomach a big favor, and skip the food at this place. Tried it Saturday. Not only did it taste like last months bad leftovers, it was as just as painful! It had 3.5 stars on yelp..I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas