Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times

Advertisements

We USED to have 2 per week, but they implemented the single-bin recycling and dropped it to one per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I don't know how they do it in other areas. But here in Sunrise, we carefully separate our recycling, and then the truck arrives every other week and they toss everything into it haphazardly, usually leaving a mess of papers and broken glass on the street in front of our driveway.
Where we used to live everything is put into wheeled carts that you take to the curb. They come by in trucks that lift up the container and dump it into the top of the truck. if there's a mess it's usually from people being sloppy about closing the carts.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:46 PM

625 posts, read 796,736 times
I would recycle if I knew somewhere close to take my stuff. Our complex has only big trash bins that everything goes in, nothing separate for paper/plastic/aluminum

Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Doesn't the pickup company have some stations in town where you can take stuff? That's what I've been considering. We removed a couple of base cabinets and a workstation we aren't keeping and I thought I'd take it all there. Then the security people drove by today and I asked them about what Republic will take. They told me to line it all up on the curb in front of the house with a FREE sign and it will probably disappear. If not, then back to self haul or a piece at a time on the curb.

I was a bit taken aback considering the things people say about HOAs (Sun City Summerlin) and he said he didn't think anyone would "turn us in".

Dang! That's my kind of HOA. Not too strict, but not a bunch of Nazis, either.

I would rather someone reuse it then toss it away. The finish sucks (that whitewash look) and it's not the best construction I've ever seen, but it's made from a good grade of birch plywood and there's a piece or two that are big enough for a project of some kind.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
They switched my house (in Henderson) over to the new recycling setup about a year go. We now have a huge recycling can (96 gallon?) you throw everything into the one can and they pick it up every time they do trash. The downside is they now only pickup trash once per week (along with recycling), which hasn't been a problem for me.

I usually end up with an equal amount, occasionally more, recyclable material vs trash.

Judging by my neighbors before and after, recycling has increased significantly. Hardly any of my neighbors put out the old red/white/blue bins, but the new 96 gallon recycling cans, it seems most of my neighbors have them out on trash/recycling day.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM

73 posts, read 103,728 times
I've given up on recycling. Did it religiously for the last 5 years. As the family is growing we have more to recycle (maybe that means we eat too much processed food; don't judge us ). But half the time I can't remember which Monday is recycling day, so if I miss it, I have to wait another 2 weeks with "garbage" piling up in the garage to try and fit it all in the 3 bins that are not much larger than shoe boxes. It's just getting old and not worth the hassle. The real question is who knows whether or not Republic even recycles the stuff they haul away. They could just be taking it to the landfill with the rest of the trash so us homeowners still feel like we're making a difference by recycling.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:32 PM

555 posts, read 1,258,729 times
Timely article in the paper last week about our lackluster recycling program

Why Southern Nevada stinks at recycling - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 08-15-2014, 03:40 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
See what Penn and Teller have to say about recycling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rExEVZlQia4

Old 08-15-2014, 03:49 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
They switched my house (in Henderson) over to the new recycling setup about a year go. We now have a huge recycling can (96 gallon?) you throw everything into the one can and they pick it up every time they do trash. The downside is they now only pickup trash once per week (along with recycling), which hasn't been a problem for me.

I usually end up with an equal amount, occasionally more, recyclable material vs trash.

Judging by my neighbors before and after, recycling has increased significantly. Hardly any of my neighbors put out the old red/white/blue bins, but the new 96 gallon recycling cans, it seems most of my neighbors have them out on trash/recycling day.
I haven't seen any of the red/white/blue since they switched over. We put those out on the curb and they picked them up. We have the next size down on the recycle bin, but everyone, on my street, at least, always has the black trash can and the blue-topped recycling bin on the curb every week

Old 08-15-2014, 03:55 PM

165 posts, read 209,280 times
I recycle my cardboard when I see the neighbors have their recycle bins out, but that's about it. The recycling is so infrequent I can't remember which day it is so I get frustrated and trash everything. My street still isn't on Republic's recycling calendar, despite my house being built in 2006, so I have no reference to figure it out either. It seems that they just half-ass the recycling program, just like everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas