Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times

Advertisements

This is specifically addressing the neighborhood that is next to the water district property. What are the odds of finding something in there below 300k? I'm guessing none BUT not all the properties appear to be high end.
I have a couple friends back there and I love the neighborhood but no way would I ever be able to afford or desire the maintenance on a LARGE home of that age...nor would I want a pool. Are there any homes in there in the 2000 sq ft range?

Also is anyone aware of any notable people who have lived in there? I would imagine there were some back in the day.
Some of those homes seem to have every available amenity from that time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,356 times
Its a nice neighborhood but everything around it is crap, who'd want to live there? It's too bad really, because there are a few homes in there that I would love to live in but one would have to drive quite a few miles away to shop with people you could actually tolerate.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:26 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Its a nice neighborhood but everything around it is crap, who'd want to live there? It's too bad really, because there are a few homes in there that I would love to live in but one would have to drive quite a few miles away to shop with people you could actually tolerate.
The new mantra:
"Location, location, loc---oh my god, did you just see that hooker?"

Old 08-15-2014, 06:53 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
This is specifically addressing the neighborhood that is next to the water district property. What are the odds of finding something in there below 300k? I'm guessing none BUT not all the properties appear to be high end.
I have a couple friends back there and I love the neighborhood but no way would I ever be able to afford or desire the maintenance on a LARGE home of that age...nor would I want a pool. Are there any homes in there in the 2000 sq ft range?

Also is anyone aware of any notable people who have lived in there? I would imagine there were some back in the day.
Some of those homes seem to have every available amenity from that time period.

I have an old friend whose family resides in the area. Beautiful large homes and yes old money. My friend's father is a physician. They own an apartment complex in front of the Las Vegas Country Club as well. The large homes on Alta Dr near the Medical district are definitely well kept.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Oh good grief LOL

There are estates owned by wealthy people that are located in much less desirable areas who choose not to move yet could afford to live ANYWHERE in the Valley. There are some very nice properties scattered throughout many areas of the Valley
Not everyone desires to live in a tract home even with a Summerlin zip.

I like the location...close to Downtown without being TOO close and the neighborhood itself has a much more suburban feeling to it than many areas in the newer masterplans due to the relatively large lots.

Its quiet in there and better than county because the streets are relatively maintained.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
I have an old friend whose family resides in the area. Beautiful large homes and yes old money. My friend's father is a physician. They own an apartment complex in front of the Las Vegas Country Club as well. The large homes on Alta Dr near the Medical district are definitely well kept.
Thank you for proving my point!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I drove through that area looking for the Scotch 80s that I've heard so much about, but could not for the life of me find them! I drove Alta, Charleston, etc. I read somewhere that the main entrance to the Scotch 80s is on Shadow Ln, so drove up and down that street, past Valley Medical in both directions..

I will say that, although I didn't find the neighborhood I was looking for, some of the houses on the side streets were very interesting. Others were very run down. And it seemed like the good and the bad were right next to each other on the same street.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
The area between I15 and Valley View and Alta and Sahara has all sorts of interesting communities. There are actual half acre neighborhoods, the Scotch 80s, McNeil in various forms and a number of lesser tracts. Some homes there where of Architectural Digest quality in the 70s. There are also some relatively massive estates hidden away.

The area however is a mix of sterling places that have been redone in recent years and next door you find one that has not been. A friend took over his mother-in-laws place on a half acre off Campbell and updated it at a cost of $250,000. He did some of the hard stuff...like raising the roof three feet.

The schools are not good but can be dealt with by using the local catholic school which is quite good.

There are some smaller tracts that get down under $200,000 though they generally need work. Or the basic townhouses in Spanish Oaks.

Much of the nicer places are gated which makes it difficult to see.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I drove through that area looking for the Scotch 80s that I've heard so much about, but could not for the life of me find them! I drove Alta, Charleston, etc. I read somewhere that the main entrance to the Scotch 80s is on Shadow Ln, so drove up and down that street, past Valley Medical in both directions..

I will say that, although I didn't find the neighborhood I was looking for, some of the houses on the side streets were very interesting. Others were very run down. And it seemed like the good and the bad were right next to each other on the same street.
I think Scotch 80s is across Rancho from Rancho Circle???

Old 08-16-2014, 06:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I think Scotch 80s is across Rancho from Rancho Circle???
No...

Here is a google map...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sc...709b010646ceb0

Basically west of Rancho from just north of Charleston to Oakey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas