Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 05:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times

Advertisements

I know several of you have been putting a lot of work into fixing their home to be more energy efficient. Most of you know I have been working on this too. NVEnergy is not my friend.

I've been looking into solar and many of those companies give you a home energy assessment to point out other things you should do. One company told me I should have some 'stuff' called Aero Seal pumped into my ductwork to seal holes that are costing me money. Logical perhaps but I've never heard about anyone else doing this. And it's very expensive, almost 4K for my 1500sf house. Let me add these people just assumed I needed this. They were never in the attic.

Did you do this and was it worth the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 PM

427 posts, read 630,187 times
<<< They were never in the attic >>>
Then how do they know there are holes that need sealing?

IMHO, it sounds like one of those companies that say your vents must be vacuumed every year.

But I'm sure no expert on house mtx.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,729 times
If all of your ductwork is accessible from your attic then save money by paying someone to seal it by hand with mastic. I'm guessing half the cost you were quoted and it lasts 30 years versus 10 for that Aero Seal product.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:23 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,206 times
Yeah, its a crock! As Danknee said, have someone legitimate go into your attic and check for leaks. If you have any, they can be sealed with mastic on the outside of the joints. How old is your house?
Much ductwork of the late 70's and all through the 80's, had flex duct with a gray wrapper and it's junk. I've replaced many a duct system, because the gray outer liner falls apart and the whole mess splits open, leaving the inner duct completely uninsulated.

Many houses built here in the 70's have a round fiberboard duct system and thats real junk and does fall apart almost everywhere. If you have this setup, you really should consider replacing it. I've been in a couple attics in the spring valley area that have this but I'm sure its widespread over the valley in other 70's homes.

My house was built in 88 and has the same gray duct that I mentioned earlier and it was split in several places when we moved in. I re wrapped it and sealed it all up.
We also had a large 12" trunk line that was disconnected from day one and no one ever noticed it until we bought the place in 05.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
That's what I was thinking! Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas