Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Q:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvansan View Post
I read the Vegas newspaper daily, and yet it seems there is little action to solve the potential shortage. Can any Vegas residents give me the low-down on what the plan is?
A: Intake No. 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 07:10 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Running out of water concerns me less than, what the affects of illegal immigration are on Las Vegas.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvansan View Post
To reassure Logline, I did a search and found ambiguous responses, which is why I wrote the posts.

Again, I still don't read any plan to keep the water level higher than the level of #2 pipe. From what I have researched, pipe #1 will no longer be able to pump water to Vegas. There are predictions, Hoover Damn will have to shut down in the next few decade as well. I have read about plans to drill down for ground water; however, recent studies have found dangerious loss of ground water as well. I don't want to appear to be "crying wolf",but there seems to be a very real water shortage coming. So what is the plan?
You do know that Las Vegas uses an extremely small fraction of the water from Lake Mead, right? The vast majority goes to our neighbors to the West and South of us. IF there is a water shortage, it's California that loses the water first, then Arizona, and FINALLY Nevada. Unless you like to worry about things, that is WAY low on the "worry scale".

Old 08-31-2014, 09:29 PM

162 posts, read 242,126 times
Croce, yours is the first reasonable solution I have read that reassures me there is a option to do well if water becomes a problem. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Hooo boy...

Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
I can appreciate your concern, there are and have been many things done to keep water coming to Vegas. Here are some links to articles addressing the Vegas Valley issue that maybe helpful in answering your questions.

Lake Mead to get more water:

Lake Mead to get more water | Las Vegas Review-Journal

[SIZE=5]How our water goes from the toilet to the tap
[/SIZE]

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/aug/24/how-our-water-goes-toilet-tap/

[SIZE=5]The unprecedented water crisis of the American Southwest
[/SIZE]
http://theweek.com/article/index/255814/the-unprecedented-water-crisis-of-the-american-southwest

Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
There is no water problem..... yet

We ultimately get our water from Lake Powell, which is currently rising at a foot a day
Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: 24-Month Study Reports

"During WY 2014, water storage has risen by 1,380,111 AF and total inflows have exceeded total outflows by 1,799,933 AF"
Lake Powell Water Database

Nevada > Lake Mead > Las Vegas only gets an allocated amount, but that rises when Lake Powell water levels rise

Grass is the problem! We're in the middle of a desert folks!
70% of Las Vegas water goes to lawns, public parks and golf courses

There is a Water Smart Landscapes Rebate where you get $1.50 back per every square foot of grass you replace with something "water smart"
Water Smart Landscapes Rebate

Old 06-03-2015, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 832 times
Angry Water pipeline is the one and only real solution

Forget about underground water, digging another intake line at the bottom of Lake Mead, and for get about conservation. These are all bandaid short term solutions. The real answer to replenishing Lake Mead, keeping Hoover Dam making electricity, and supplying water not only to Las Vegas but all the other affected cities and states is to build a water pipeline to redistribute water from where it is abundant to where it is needed.
My favorite source would be the Columbia River, because despite the water rights held by Oregon, the inescapable truth is that trillions and trillions of gallons of water are lost and wasted as the Columbia River flows into the ocean at Portland Oregon. Instead of waiting for Cailifornia to build a pipeline to the farmers in Central California, Nevada should build this pipeline to get water upstream of a Lake Mead, and move get a higher position in line for water rights above their current last in line position.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 AM

635 posts, read 745,830 times
Research a little more...the Columbia River has multiple states with "water rights", Washington State being the largest state with water rights.
The Columbia flows into the Pacific Ocean much further down than Portland, OR...between Fort Stevens in Oregon and Fort Canby in Washington.
If you really think Washington and Oregon are going to sit by and watch water taken from the Columbia River while they are also in a drought you are kidding yourself.

Furthermore a pipeline would never work. You build a large "city" in the middle of the desert and then have water problems, who would have thought.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Look up the old North American Water and Power Alliance that was designed to transfer water form north flowing Canadian rivers to the American southwest.

More practically learn to live on very little water of run for a wetter place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: