Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,012 times

Advertisements

Birds have lived on this earth for thousands of years without us feeding them. I have to agree with Buzz, I wouldnt want that mess anywhere near our house. I love hummingbirds but anything else collecting in big droves from a feeder, would be a nuisance, especially pigeons.
We do have pigeon problems on a few houses in our tract but nothing on our street and I want it to stay that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
just don't end up like the "pigeon lady" :

‘Pigeon War’ erupts in Lake View neighborhood | PV Times

Old 09-06-2014, 11:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
We used to feed birds in Iowa. After reading this thread I'll pass here. Maybe a bird bath...

Old 09-07-2014, 01:13 AM

645 posts, read 706,862 times
a lot of good suggestions here!

gonna put it up tomorrow, how soon the hummingbird and other bird will come?

also I got HOA, I never read the HOA thing the paper stack is almost a cola can tall! does your HOA ban bird feeder?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:56 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Hummingbirds don't create a mess, so I'd just feed them IF you don't mind the constant work involved. You have to clean them ever couple of days since the sugar draws bacteria that can harm the birds. Make sure you don't use more than a 4:1 ration of sugar to water, and don't use that red stuff you buy at Wal-Mart, as it harms humans and birds.
I really love seeing the hummingbirds in the Spring and Fall. But I don't feed them. They come to the palo verde trees without me having to do a damned thing. I take care of my plants. (And I keep the animals AWAY from my plants.) The animals can take care of themselves. My peaches and apricots and lemons and figs are off limits to them.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
hi guys need some suggestion here, I received few lowes gift cards and I went to get bird feeder (for back yard wild birds). but there are so many different kinds of bird seeds/food. Can you guys suggest which bird seed to feed to birds in N Vegas area? (back yard random wild birds, not my own birds) thanks a lot

I must be really tired when I first saw the title of this thread I thought it is "Sued" for backyard bird feeder.

I don't know anything about your area however, here in our area we pick up what is called Nature's Beauty Holiday Blend bird seed at one of our local grocery markets.
Our birds seem to enjoy it and the chipmunks and squirrels enjoy it as well.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I really love seeing the hummingbirds in the Spring and Fall. But I don't feed them. They come to the palo verde trees without me having to do a damned thing. I take care of my plants. (And I keep the animals AWAY from my plants.) The animals can take care of themselves. My peaches and apricots and lemons and figs are off limits to them.
This is what I like to do. Plant the correct things and they will come. Field of Birds.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:33 PM

645 posts, read 706,862 times
I got a hummingbird in my backyard! it's all green on her back I think it's Calliope female. It's so tiny and cute I am really excited. however when there are other hummingbird that try to go near the feeder, she will chase them away lol. so so far I only see this one in 5 days.

I am thinking about getting more shephard's hook and feeder, maybe 2,3 more feeder will I get that many hummingbirds?

how often do you guys change the sugar water? my feeder is right under the sun and last few days it was really hot. Will they stop drinking it if it's turned bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas