Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:14 PM

2,048 posts, read 1,744,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I've better get my tipping head on...... we arrive in LV in a few days. Remind me somebody...... why do we tip bartenders for taking the cap off a bottle of beer?
Because that tip can turn into paying for two drinks when you've had 5. Or getting a double when you've only ordered a single. Or being the person that the bartender asks to taste a new drink that they've come up or a drink that they think that you may like based on what you've ordered before. While it's more likely that getting extra for being a good tipper happens when it's a place you frequent often, it can still happen when you're in town for a vacation especially if you're likely to go to the same hotel bar during your stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:16 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,355,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Because that tip can turn into paying for two drinks when you've had 5. Or getting a double when you've only ordered a single. Or being the person that the bartender asks to taste a new drink that they've come up or a drink that they think that you may like based on what you've ordered before. While it's more likely that getting extra for being a good tipper happens when it's a place you frequent often, it can still happen when you're in town for a vacation especially if you're likely to go to the same hotel bar during your stay.
Exactly. There are soooo many ways you can get returns on being a good tipper, no matter where you go.

Free food, free drinks, coupons, early notice to specials coming up, tickets to an event...

Old 10-01-2014, 06:06 PM

15,802 posts, read 14,414,927 times
Do they even tell you what the VAT is? Maybe it's printed on the receipt if they give you one. It's likely just built into the price.

He're you have to decide what you want to give as a tip, and then do the math. This means you actually have to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Exactly -- at least our system is optional. It costs roughly the same for a pint either way. USA = pint + sales tax + tip. England = more-expensive pint + VAT. It's a wash for beer. But for other things, the VAT adds a significant cost to the price of a vacation.

And yet I have yet to find the thread on C-D where frequent American visitors to England complain about how unfair the VAT is. We recognize it's part of the cost of visiting a pleasant, civilized country.

Things are VERY cheap in Somalia, I'm told. No tips or VAT to worry about there.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,403,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Do they even tell you what the VAT is? Maybe it's printed on the receipt if they give you one. It's likely just built into the price.

He're you have to decide what you want to give as a tip, and then do the math. This means you actually have to think about it.
Value Added Tax (VAT) is built into the price. So the price on the ticket in a shop is what you pay at the counter. Bars have to have a price list of drinks on clear display by law. No tip is expected by the drinks server.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM

687 posts, read 1,940,666 times
Speaking of tipping - I remember a business trip from years ago. My colleague, James, and I were staying at an Embassy Suites and visited the bar on the first night for their free drinks. During the week we always met up at the bar after work for drinks. James, always had a seat at the bar no matter how busy they were as they held one for him. His drinks were always refreshed, even after the official free drink time ended. On the last night, the bartender delivered a nice steak to him at the bar " on the house". They exchanged phone numbers. I had always tipped the bartender $1.00 per drink during our stay, but never received service like James.

James has a great personality, and I attributed the great service he received to that. On the flight home, he told me that on the first night, while talking to the bartender and finding out that he would be working the week during our stay - he told him he was a big tipper and rewarded great service. He then handed him $100 and let him know he'd be there all week. I still think his personality had a lot to do with it, but that's just the way he rolled. Probably wouldn't work for me, but it sure did for him.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:47 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,960,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
I still think his personality had a lot to do with it, but that's just the way he rolled. Probably wouldn't work for me, but it sure did for him.
Personality has everything to do with it. When I go out to eat, I expect that I am going to be treated like a rock star. Not some smug, demanding, haughty attitude, though. The "everything is going to be fantastic and people are going to be great because that's how people are" sort of attitude.

Surprise, surprise, that's how people treat me. They treat me like royalty, even though they don't know I'm a good tipper. (They don't get to find out that until the end, after all.)

With limited exceptions (like when I go to a restaurant specifically to try a menu item -- Bouchon's fried chicken, for instance -- and then I call ahead and make sure it's still on the menu), my usual procedure for ordering food at a restaurant is this:

"The menu looks great! My wife and I not only have no food allergies, we have no food aversions. Please ask the chef to send two appetizers, two entrees and two side dishes. Whatever he or she thinks we should be having tonight. We're also in absolutely no hurry. And we plan on sharing everything."

This strategy has never steered us wrong. We do this all over the world. Not once ever has the chef picked the two most expensive items on the menu. Often, we get food that isn't even ON the menu. Chefs the world over drop what they're doing and whip up a dish their grandmother taught them just so they can put it in front of us.

Just like I don't employ attorneys and then argue with their advice; just like I don't visit doctors and then ignore what they tell me; when I go to a restaurant I put myself in the chef's capable hands. How do I know what's best today? I wasn't at the food market this morning. (Actually, the way I travel I probably was. But still.) I ask the chef to give me what's best and he or she always does.

THAT is how you order food in a restaurant. Just go with the flow. Picky eaters resign themselves to a sub-optimal restaurant experience every single time.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:34 PM

611 posts, read 948,770 times
Is it proper to only tip the valet when you pick up your car or should the valet who parks your car also get a tip when arriving there?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:48 PM

2,048 posts, read 1,744,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
Is it proper to only tip the valet when you pick up your car or should the valet who parks your car also get a tip when arriving there?
I always do it with the valet that brings the car. Sometimes if the person I'm dropping it off with does something above or beyond, like take the car even when valet is "full" or offer to keep the car close if I let them know I'm just running in for a minute then I'll tip both times. This is a personal preference based on my own logic, do whatever feels best to you.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:20 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,767,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Personality has everything to do with it. When I go out to eat, I expect that I am going to be treated like a rock star. Not some smug, demanding, haughty attitude, though. The "everything is going to be fantastic and people are going to be great because that's how people are" sort of attitude.

Surprise, surprise, that's how people treat me. They treat me like royalty, even though they don't know I'm a good tipper. (They don't get to find out that until the end, after all.)

With limited exceptions (like when I go to a restaurant specifically to try a menu item -- Bouchon's fried chicken, for instance -- and then I call ahead and make sure it's still on the menu), my usual procedure for ordering food at a restaurant is this:

"The menu looks great! My wife and I not only have no food allergies, we have no food aversions. Please ask the chef to send two appetizers, two entrees and two side dishes. Whatever he or she thinks we should be having tonight. We're also in absolutely no hurry. And we plan on sharing everything."

This strategy has never steered us wrong. We do this all over the world. Not once ever has the chef picked the two most expensive items on the menu. Often, we get food that isn't even ON the menu. Chefs the world over drop what they're doing and whip up a dish their grandmother taught them just so they can put it in front of us.

Just like I don't employ attorneys and then argue with their advice; just like I don't visit doctors and then ignore what they tell me; when I go to a restaurant I put myself in the chef's capable hands. How do I know what's best today? I wasn't at the food market this morning. (Actually, the way I travel I probably was. But still.) I ask the chef to give me what's best and he or she always does.

THAT is how you order food in a restaurant. Just go with the flow. Picky eaters resign themselves to a sub-optimal restaurant experience every single time.
My ex-brother in law was the executive chef at The Tree Room at Sundance. He did the same thing for us. We didn't even see a menu. He brought us a selection of appetizers "tapas" style, and entrees based on what was available that day. I believe it was a quail dish that he prepared for us. One of the best dinners in my life.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:27 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,960,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
My ex-brother in law was the executive chef at The Tree Room at Sundance. He did the same thing for us. We didn't even see a menu. He brought us a selection of appetizers "tapas" style, and entrees based on what was available that day. I believe it was a quail dish that he prepared for us. One of the best dinners in my life.
The Japanese (who else?) came up with this originally. They call it omakase. This is the best way to order food. The chefs know what's best today. Maybe the scallops are particularly good today. Or perhaps they happen to have everything they need to whip up a dish they learned from their grandmother.

I have yet to have a bad meal this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas