Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 PM

109 posts, read 302,791 times

Advertisements

can someone please post a link? or is it a Las Vegas local thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 02:41 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionictony View Post
can someone please post a link? or is it a Las Vegas local thing?
https://www.navyfederal.org/

Look for the Member-ific Specials banner.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:02 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
10-year treasuries are currently at 2.5%. This CD sounds like a deal, but I have to ask WHY it's a deal. Is this a bad sign of things to come? Is the credit union hurting for deposits that bad? If so, why and what will happen if it goes under? Or is it a bad omen for the rest of the economy to offer rates that high after so many years of ultra-low interest rates? Hmmm.... looks suspicious.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
10-year treasuries are currently at 2.5%. This CD sounds like a deal, but I have to ask WHY it's a deal. Is this a bad sign of things to come? Is the credit union hurting for deposits that bad? If so, why and what will happen if it goes under? Or is it a bad omen for the rest of the economy to offer rates that high after so many years of ultra-low interest rates? Hmmm.... looks suspicious.
Navy Federal Credit Union is the largest credit union in the world with over 5 million members. They are a rock solid conservative financial institution. They make money hand over fist. Their primary customers are AD military members and retirees. They are generous giving back to their members in reduced fees, credit card rates, and loan rates.They are one of the few banks that never engaged in sub-prime mortgage lending. This 5% APY for a 1 year CD has a maximum deposit of $5k. It is not an unlimited amount.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:00 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
Navy Federal Credit Union is the largest credit union in the world with over 5 million members. They are a rock solid conservative financial institution. They make money hand over fist. Their primary customers are AD military members and retirees. They are generous giving back to their members in reduced fees, credit card rates, and loan rates.They are one of the few banks that never engaged in sub-prime mortgage lending. This 5% APY for a 1 year CD has a maximum deposit of $5k. It is not an unlimited amount.
Correct, and they have done this same promo every other year as a "member appreciation" give back since I've been a member.

NFCU is a top notch CU. Just don't try to slide in under sketchy credentials. They WILL ferret you out and close your account.

Only current or retired military or DoD, retired meaning you are collecting a pension. There are a few other ways in listed here https://www.navyfederal.org/how-to-b...e-a-member.php

I am none of the above, but I lucked out when a CU I was a member of crashed and burned and went under receivership of Navy. Really a stroke of luck. The only weird way in that I know of that's legitimate.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Try to take your money out early and then tell me how it's "no-hassle." I've had money in both CDs and Index Funds. The level of hassle is similar.

The only difference is the amount of taxes that the investor is going to pay on the dividends -- not the percentage, the amount -- because Index funds PAY considerably more than CDs.

Seriously, please read this. And then read the associated links. Especially anything that has the name "John Boegel" on it. This is not get-rich-quick. But it IS get-rich-slow. CDs are NOT "get-rich-fast-or-slow-or-ever." I keep hoping we create a society where everyone does well.

Index Funds | Index Mutual Funds | Investing in Index Funds
An index fund has risk. A CD has none. I'm not sure what hassle you have had in the past taking money out of a CD before it has matured, but there should only be a partial penalty against the interest you were first promised.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
An index fund has risk. A CD has none. I'm not sure what hassle you have had in the past taking money out of a CD before it has matured, but there should only be a partial penalty against the interest you were first promised.
You really think a CD has NO risk? What if the NCUSIF crashes and burns? I thought I was quite clear that if an index fund tied to three thousand companies loses 100% of it's value, the economy has tanked to such a degree that a CD is probably worthless as well.

Furthermore there is risk in not accepting at least a little risk -- the risk of not having the funds necessary to accomplish financial goals. (A house, a business, tuition, etc.) That's the risk that I keep laser-like focus on. The rest is just hand-wringing.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:00 AM

If you don't wish to trust FDIC then I guess it has risk but that seems silly to do. If I had the option of investing in a CD at a 5% return vs. investing in real estate with 7% return, I'd invest in the CD. Obviously that's not doable as there is a 5k limit on the amount to deposit here, but doesn't negate the fact that the return is good.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:04 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
If you don't wish to trust FDIC then I guess it has risk but that seems silly to do. If I had the option of investing in a CD at a 5% return vs. investing in real estate with 7% return, I'd invest in the CD. Obviously that's not doable as there is a 5k limit on the amount to deposit here, but doesn't negate the fact that the return is good.
And I don't think 5% is good. I don't even think 5% is worth the effort. Nobody is going to get rich on 5%. That isn't even "comfortable."

The index fund I have paid 9% in it's worst year ever. I put a chunk of change on par with ft_chief's $5K into it every year. And then I plow all the dividends back into the fund. It has more than doubled what I have put into it over the course of 10 years. Way more than doubled is more accurate. It is getting into "Wow! This is really cool!" numbers.

Look at the 10-year returns and then get back to me about how good CDs are. And keep in mind, this all still worked during the crash.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual...AnnualMonthEnd

Old 09-26-2014, 02:11 AM

It is a risk based investment. Not a guaranteed return like a CD. You cannot guarantee that the mutual fund doesn't tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas