Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Don't knock it. I did that for years. Much of the third world is absolutely stunning. Think of it as a character-building exercise.
It built character win we were shot at in northern Pakistan back in 1986, at the base of Mt. Nanga Parbat. But it was, indeed, absolutely stunning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
Just saying the energy pull from a Mac Pro is pretty amazing compared to the capability pf the graphics unit. The thing is silent like a ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
No. I despise everything apple has ever made, especially itunes.

From my estimates, it's only pulling 450-500 watts at the moment. I do plan to get the watt meter to see exactly what it pulls under load.

Back on topic, 5 cents a kwh is crazy low. I was paying 18 cents a kwh in NC.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Just saying the energy pull from a Mac Pro is pretty amazing compared to the capability pf the graphics unit. The thing is silent like a ninja.

It would be well over $3,000 to get an apple anywhere close to my pc. I have less than 1/3 of that in my rig.

After I built it, in NC, my power bill went up about 15 a month.
Here, my bill stayed around 80 a month peaking at 120. I am ok with 15 extra bucks a month.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
Quote:
It would be well over $3,000 to get an apple anywhere close to my pc. I have less than 1/3 of that in my rig.
Really? A base Mac Pro comes with the equivalent of two AMD W7000 video cards, which sell for $730 each on NewEgg.

You can always build a PC cheaper than a Mac. What you fanboys don't realize is that Mac Pros don't compete against gaming machines. They compete against workstation class systems, like the Dell Precision Workstation line. That's why they put workstation graphics in them rather than the much higher bang for the buck gaming cards, because OpenGL performance is what matters, not fps in some game, and they need drivers certified by the important ISVs. And actually, the more you load up a Mac Pro to a high-end configuration, the better the value.

For an $800 upcharge, I can order a Mac Pro with two AMD D700 GPUs. To get the same GPUs in a PC, I have to pay $3000 each for two AMD S10000 video cards. That makes the high-end Mac Pro a heck of a deal.

Developers at our company can either order a Dell Precision Workstation or a Mac Pro for doing Windows development. There have been periods during the past eight years where the Mac Pro was a better value than the equivalent Dell PWS, and developers bought Mac Pros with little intent of spending much time running OS X. Boot Camp on the new Mac Pros doesn't support Windows 7 though, so I expect we've seen the last of buying a Mac Pro just to run Windows.

I've never understood bragging about something you bought. If you had a hand in making it, then you can be proud, but you're just an end-user.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:33 PM
EA

I don't play video games....

I like Windows xp and Windows 7. They work how I want an os to work. Most of the time anyway.
I have messed with Macs and I hate the way their operating system works. I hate the way their phones work. I hate the way their ipods and pads work. I hate with unrivaled passion itunes. If you ever want to see a grown man smash apart things like godzilla, try to make me use itunes.

If Macs work for you, cool. Pc works for me. I'll never buy a manufactured computer again. From the time I hit the power button, until I am browsing the internet is 16 seconds. Programs like photoshop open nearly instantly. I render videos pretty quickly.
I can render video, browse the net, and watch a video at the same time and my cpu isn't maxed out. THAT is why I built my computer. To be able to do what I want, when I want.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
When Apple says something is revolutionary, a lot of people will roll their eyes. The Mac Pro is indeed revolutionary. A true workhorse. Price/Performance. I rather not build my own PC. It will noisy as hell cooling the unit. You will need extra large fans.

A lot of pro photographers are moving onto the mac pro's. When you are processing 5GB of raw image files, a Mac Pro will make your time WORTH IT and it would be considered cheap.

Consider the POWER SAVINGS.

Idle: ~ 46 watts.
All cores driven by MemoryTester compute: ~150 watts.
Memory Test compute plus Unigine Valley demo running simultaneously (to exercise the GPU): 210 - 240 watts.
But it appears that only one GPU is being used, so that if both were used power usage might rise to ~320 watts.
Batch processing raw files to TIF: 90 - 145 watts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Really? A base Mac Pro comes with the equivalent of two AMD W7000 video cards, which sell for $730 each on NewEgg.

You can always build a PC cheaper than a Mac. What you fanboys don't realize is that Mac Pros don't compete against gaming machines. They compete against workstation class systems, like the Dell Precision Workstation line. That's why they put workstation graphics in them rather than the much higher bang for the buck gaming cards, because OpenGL performance is what matters, not fps in some game, and they need drivers certified by the important ISVs. And actually, the more you load up a Mac Pro to a high-end configuration, the better the value.

For an $800 upcharge, I can order a Mac Pro with two AMD D700 GPUs. To get the same GPUs in a PC, I have to pay $3000 each for two AMD S10000 video cards. That makes the high-end Mac Pro a heck of a deal.

Developers at our company can either order a Dell Precision Workstation or a Mac Pro for doing Windows development. There have been periods during the past eight years where the Mac Pro was a better value than the equivalent Dell PWS, and developers bought Mac Pros with little intent of spending much time running OS X. Boot Camp on the new Mac Pros doesn't support Windows 7 though, so I expect we've seen the last of buying a Mac Pro just to run Windows.

I've never understood bragging about something you bought. If you had a hand in making it, then you can be proud, but you're just an end-user.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:37 PM
EA

I do raw photos all day long, while watching videos and browsing the net. I can't say how much power I am using, but I will find out soon.

I run 6 fans in my case. I only hear the ones that came with the water cooler. Once I get ahead, I will replace them with silent fans. I run ssd so I don't even have to hear the hard drive running.

I wouldn't need all the fans but my tower is inside of a closed cabinet with very limited airflow. I have a fan controller that is temperature controlled. I bet when I'm just browsing the net, or it's idle, there's very little power draw.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Enough w/ the Apple vs Wintel/PC BS

It's been beat to death elsewhere. So much so that a thread was pinned at top of the computer forum telling every one to stop.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
This is way off topic, but in my defense, it was already way off topic before I made my first post in this thread.

Quote:
If Macs work for you, cool. Pc works for me. I'll never buy a manufactured computer again. From the time I hit the power button, until I am browsing the internet is 16 seconds. Programs like photoshop open nearly instantly. I render videos pretty quickly.
I hadn't expressed a preference for one platform or the other. I was just trying to inject some facts into a fanboy p*ssing contest. I can be equally effective using Windows or OS X or Linux, but I am a big fan of upgradability and choosing my own components when my own money is being spent, and there are a few important apps I need to use that are only available on Windows, so my home systems are cool-and-quiet PCs I build myself(I have no need for a workstation class machine at home). At work I have one of everything, which includes Dell Precision Workstations, and Mac Pros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
When Apple says something is revolutionary, a lot of people will roll their eyes. The Mac Pro is indeed revolutionary. A true workhorse. Price/Performance. I rather not build my own PC. It will noisy as hell cooling the unit. You will need extra large fans.
Man, you have really drunk the Kool-Aid.

The new Mac Pro is revolutionary because of its packaging and thermal design. The exact same Xeon processors and AMD GPUs in it can be had in a pre-built or custom built PC. Since those are the components which consume the vast majority of the power when under load, the power consumption of a PC and Mac are going to be pretty close. The Mac most likely consumes a little less power because Apple has chosen to underclock their GPUs slightly, and OS X has a little more focus on power management than Windows. But for the most part, same components + same load = same power consumption.

The low-end Mac Pro configuration is not a great value. A fully loaded high-end configuration undercuts a similarly spec'd PC workstation by a couple thousand dollars.

Apple’s new ‘overpriced’ $10,000 Mac Pro is $2,000 cheaper than the equivalent Windows PC | ExtremeTech

Inability to upgrade would be a deal killer if I was spending my own money, but if someone else is paying the bill and letting me upgrade every couple years, I'd get the Mac (if I needed a workstation class system).

Old 10-03-2014, 05:25 AM
EA

$10,000, now I know why he sleeps on the floor. Spent all his money on a mac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas