Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:55 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Please list the "very generous tax deductions" you're referring to. I'll have to pass the info on to my accountant, who is apparently not as well educated about the tax code as you are. Thanks.

Here are just some of the items that are tax deductible a business can take advantage of. Mind you Im sure there are more out there.

audiotapes and videotapes related to business skills
auto expense
bank service charges
business association dues
business gifts
business-related magazines and books
casual labor and tips
casualty and theft losses
coffee and beverage service
commissions
consultant fees
credit bureau fees
office supplies
online computer services related to business
parking and meters
petty cash funds
postage
promotion and publicity
seminars and trade shows
taxi and bus fare
telephone calls away from the business
interest on loans used for operating a business
travel
entertainment business
bad debts - people not paying for goods
utilities
repairs on the business establishment
new equipment for the business
sales taxes
employment tax

Old 10-23-2014, 06:12 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Your premise is that small businesses (or all businesses, for that matter) are just greedy millionaires in disguise. They are mean and have no business earning a living, especially a good living. You are going to vote under the premise that, somehow, this money is going to end up in your pocket? That you, or some other average voter, are going to benefit?

This money is not your money and will never benefit you, or the average voter. All you are going to do is take it from business and give it to politicians who will not redistribute it to benefit you or, really, anyone else in any meaningful way. It will benefit the politician first and foremost, regardless of which party you are in. Then it will benefit the politician's benefactors, which, actually, benefits the politician.

You should care because Nevada politicians do not have a track record of spending money that they take from others, wisely. You should care because there is no transparency. You should care because small business owners sacrifice a great deal before they start to make a profit and are always under threat of closing their doors when the economy goes through one of its cyclical downturns. You should care because small business is the back bone of our nation's economy, and a leading indicator when the economy is recovering.

You should also look beyond the veneer that they put in front of you and hold them accountable just as you would your own children if you gave them money.

As you have said on the last paragraph of your post, there should and there will be accountability. As much as you think and portray everyone as corrupt, keep in mind the justice system is here to level the field.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:06 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
As you have said on the last paragraph of your post, there should and there will be accountability. As much as you think and portray everyone as corrupt, keep in mind the justice system is here to level the field.
And they do such a good job at that.

There's rarely accountability.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:18 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Business are taxed on their profits, not on their gross revenue. This is different than individual taxes, because individuals are not expected to turn a profit. BTW, corporate profits paid to individuals as dividends are taxed twice.

Actually that's slightly incorrect. There is a tax on a company's gross revenue, it's called a sales tax.

Quote:
Here are just some of the items that are tax deductible a business can take advantage of. Mind you Im sure there are more out there.

auto expense
bank service charges
business gifts
casual labor and tips
commissions
consultant fees
credit bureau fees
office supplies
parking and meters
petty cash funds
postage
promotion and publicity
seminars and trade shows
taxi and bus fare
travel
entertainment business
utilities
sales taxes
employment tax

Old 10-23-2014, 07:22 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Burglarize my car: No biggie, I have insurance
It becomes your problem when your insurance rates rise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Burglarize my home: I will defend it with deadly force
So when the options are let the small business stay in business or kill a former employee of said small business, you choose the latter.

Nice. I hope karma kicks you in the butt real hard, real soon.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
If current polling is accurate, we will not need to worry about Onlyliveonce and those with similar views getting their way on election day. Channel 8's latest poll shows Question 3 losing by 15 percentage points: 8 News NOW Poll results on Question 3 - 8 News NOW.
Caught that last night as I was walking through the living room while it was on the TV.

Excellent.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:

auto expense
bank service charges
business gifts
casual labor and tips
commissions
consultant fees
credit bureau fees
office supplies
parking and meters
petty cash funds
postage
promotion and publicity
seminars and trade shows
taxi and bus fare
travel
entertainment business
utilities
sales taxes
employment tax
Looks like those are just normal business expenses, and a lot of those things apply to individuals, too. Again, where are these "very generous" tax deductions you were talking about?

Methinks you were just [language], and now you're trying desperately (and futilely) to hold your position. Let me guess - you're one of those "corporations are evil!" people?

Last edited by observer53; 10-28-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
I think Onliyliveonce view is a good representation of most locals in LV. I commend him for standing his ground on what he believes along with his honesty. I am sure there is a good percentage of people across the country looking for an opportunity like LV to move to.(low cost of living and cheap)

Just have to keep in mind that people like Onlyliveonce can never ever complain about lack of local community events, local economy, city culture and/or community involvement. This is the stuff that people like him don't want, need or expect.

The idea of "BOO HOO" failing small businesses and community interaction does not go together at all because small businesses ARE the community. Three of my neighbors own small businesses, if their business fails, their homes become vacant, which then affects my property values and possibly harvest crime.

Not everyone can work on the strip and shelters are at full capacity so...

Edit: Believe it or not, there are people who live in Vegas that would be satisfied or content with 40% unemployment.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 AM

557 posts, read 793,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It becomes your problem when your insurance rates rise...

So when the options are let the small business stay in business or kill a former employee of said small business, you choose the latter.

Nice. I hope karma kicks you in the butt real hard, real soon.
A little dramatic. Re read the thread, YOU stated my home and car would be burglarized. I stated I could hardly care about the car, but breaking into my home I defend with my life. Please don't make it complicated.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 AM

557 posts, read 793,068 times
Please, everybody vote. When you vote do so in yours/family's best interest. Pretty simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas