Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:54 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,676 times

Advertisements

I was looking around the web for Las Vegas history and came across this piece. A man committed suicide by firing a gun into a pile of dynamite (YIKES ). Also killed was his wife and other guests staying at the motel. The article has pictures of the aftermath. The scene was gory according to the article.

FBI combs blast ruins - Las Vegas Sun News

Any long-time Las Vegas denizens remember this event??

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 03:13 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
Boy, he went out with a bang.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Yes, I remember. Of course I was probably directing at least one newscast that day on CH-3. We also had a guy who rented an airplane and flew it into a bar on Boulder Highway where his estranged wife was working. Lots of car bombings too, thanks to the Mafia. Then there was the guy that yelled at a truck driver to watch because he'd probably never see anything like that again....then he took a header over the steep side of Hoover Dam. This is a good news town for reporters who like sensational stuff like that. But, when we had an earthquake in Boulder City one time, it was hardly mentioned because on that same day two people each hit $25,000 KENO tickets. The odds of that were greater than the odds a quake would hit Boulder City.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I was a youngster then, but we used to stay at the Orbit on our way back and forth from Oregon for the summer.
We stayed there one more time after the explosion either later that year or the following year, and I think we stayed in the room the bomber was in or the one next door, from the descriptions of the scene we read back then.

Last edited by observer53; 10-30-2014 at 01:24 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 06:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Reminds me of a day in Minneapolis. Two guys and a girl showed up to stay for a few days. The house was split in half vertically with two apartments on each side, up and down.

I was in the upstairs apt on one side when the entire house shook and there was a hell of a racket. First thought was a gas explosion, but it turned the three of them were downstairs next door in the main room, tossing a live hand grenade back and forth.

One of them pulled the pin and threw it to another. Both men died and the woman's face and upper body were horribly scarred, iirc.

Probably 1967 or 1968. My memory of that time is vague.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Wow! Never heard about that one before!

And Buzz, you are amazing. You have so much information stored in your head!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Reminds me of a day in Minneapolis. Two guys and a girl showed up to stay for a few days. The house was split in half vertically with two apartments on each side, up and down.

I was in the upstairs apt on one side when the entire house shook and there was a hell of a racket. First thought was a gas explosion, but it turned the three of them were downstairs next door in the main room, tossing a live hand grenade back and forth.

One of them pulled the pin and threw it to another. Both men died and the woman's face and upper body were horribly scarred, iirc.

Probably 1967 or 1968. My memory of that time is vague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Wow! Never heard about that one before!

And Buzz, you are amazing. You have so much information stored in your head!

Probably why I can't remember anything anymore. Too much stuff in there to sort through.

Tek_Freek, notice the entire house didn't blow up in a large ball of fire like in the movies, and you survived. Grenades just don't work that way.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Probably why I can't remember anything anymore. Too much stuff in there to sort through.

Tek_Freek, notice the entire house didn't blow up in a large ball of fire like in the movies, and you survived. Grenades just don't work that way.
True, but there was a lot, and I mean a lot, of shrapnel. Peppered the entire room.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
True, but there was a lot, and I mean a lot, of shrapnel. Peppered the entire room.
That's the way they work unless it's a concussion grenade. Those burst your eardrums.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:52 AM

I noticed the one of the investigators said the Orbit job wasn't done by a pro because he used too much dynamite. Ya' think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: