Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times

Advertisements

Many HOA streets are considered common elements of the community but they may also be parceled into a private right of way. Street sweepers inside the private right of ways and common elements are paid for through the HOA fees. There are many communities that enforce certain parking regulations that are beyond the scope of city and state ordinances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:08 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
I had a neighbor 2 doors down that left his car on the street for 2 months to the point where spider webs growing on the tires. At that point I had to do something. I called the HOA and asked them to send him a friendly reminder. They told me to contact the city because of it being a public street. This was on a Friday. When I got home from work Monday, he was out working on the car. Ha! Its been gone ever since. I advise the same to others to keep your neighborhood value up. And to think it took me two months because I was feeling guilty.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
Everywhere I've lived there have been local ordinances about how long a car or any other vehicle can be parked on the street. Some of my past locations have been very rural, some had HOA's, some had no HOA or CCR. But most local ordinances restrict long term parking to discourage abandoned vehicles and people camping in their vehicles or RV's on the street. If you're in the city limits call the city. If you are not in the city then call the county. You can also look up ordinances on the internet for your jurisdiction.

We had a neighbor who routinely parked RVs and cars on the street on their corner lot. It was a problem for many of the neighbors. Older and very young drivers had a problem seeing around the vehicles before pulling into the intersection. A couple of us called the county, explained that we really didn't want anyone to incur a fine (a warnign would do for us as long as it got taken care of) and the situation was corrected within days.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 PM

775 posts, read 775,812 times
Inconsiderate neighbors will not become considerate by an accident of
nature.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:42 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
For the city of Las Vegas:

Can I park or store a vehicle in the street?

It is unlawful to abandon or park a vehicle in the street for more than 72 consecutive hours. Moving a
vehicle every three (3) days a few feet will not avert a violation. To report vehicles parked on the street, call
Parking Enforcement at 229-6432.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
There are many communities that enforce certain parking regulations that are beyond the scope of city and state ordinances.
Please provide examples. I like living in a HOA community, but find haphazard enforcement of CC&Rs a weakness in many associations, including mine. Our developer relinquishes board control next year, and I am trying to broaden my knowledge before then. The OP's situation is not unusual.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Please provide examples. I like living in a HOA community, but find haphazard enforcement of CC&Rs a weakness in many associations, including mine. Our developer relinquishes board control next year, and I am trying to broaden my knowledge before then. The OP's situation is not unusual.
I'm really not sure what you're asking. You want me to give you a list of specific communities that have parking regulations in their CCnRs so you can use their rules as a template for your own CCnRs?

Old 11-11-2014, 03:43 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I'm really not sure what you're asking. You want me to give you a list of specific communities that have parking regulations in their CCnRs so you can use their rules as a template for your own CCnRs?
Sorry I was not clear. No, not a list. You posted "There are many communities that enforce certain parking regulations that are beyond the scope of city and state ordinances."

I assumed you would know some of the parking regulations (on public streets, not HOA-maintained) that are beyond the scope and would share a few, as the OP was seeking advice on a public street situation, not a HOA-controlled roadway--and the OP cites the problem as going back to a previous owner and for years, which would imply no one has found the answer. I doubt a HOA is the answer, or it would have made its move long ago. I mean, enforcement of hydrant clearance is not really the HOA, unless the HOA owns the hydrant and fire protection services. Parking my truck in front of my neighbor's house is not illegal even if the HOA says I cannot do it.

Most jurisdictions govern abandoned, leaking hazmat, non-functioning, unregistered, uninspected, risks to public (rodents, jackstands), distance from curb, loud pipes, jake brakes, fire hydrant, utility easements, painting curbs, signs telling you "no parking", signs telling you "no parking between 8PM and 6AM", signs for disabled parking. Even the HOA people rely on local enforcement to handle this stuff.

I am all for the CC&Rs restating local ordinances and adding a layer of comprehension to the fickle clowns who sign papers without reading the CC&Rs and get mad when someone points out a violation or expects folks to follow the rules. I also respect a person's right to move and live somewhere without a HOA. I actually wish I was back on my farm....no one would be parking on my road for long

My advice to the OP, along with several others preceding my response on the thread, is to get over it. Unless those vehicles are sitting, lack "stickers", leaking reportable quantities of hazmat, or pose a danger to the public, the parking tormentor is going to win.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
I think you're looking for my mother-in-law's HOA, which outright bans all on-street parking. Anyone leaving a car on the street is politely asked to move it. And then they start the daily fines. They don't even want cars in the driveway. Park in the garage.

I really prefer this to the way my neighborhood looks.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
If you move into a neighborhood where everyone is already parked out on the street/driveway, when in Rome...

If the neighborhood is already like Scoop's mother-in-law's neighborhood, remind the new neighbor to do as the Romans do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: