Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
DRIVING for 10-12 hours straight may be dangerous, but sitting in a car for 10-12 hours with total driving time of a fraction of that is certainly not dangerous.
Sitting and not being active is when your body starts dozing off and getting tired. Just try working repeatedly those 12 hours shifts month after month year after year.
Sitting can kill you in more ways than one. After doing this a while, many drivers develop cardiovascular problems and diabetes and are tired all the time. Attention span and driving becomes impaired....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
A tired driver is a tired driver, no matter what they are doing in a 10-12 hour shift.
agreed. These people just don't get it.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
A study by researchers in Australia showed that being awake for 18 hours produced an impairment equal to a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .05, and .10 after 24 hours; .08 is considered legally drunk.

I would think that repeated 12 hour shifts are going to push one to an equivalent worse than the 18 hour figure afther 3 or 4 days in a row. Particularly if you have something one day that forces you below the 6 or 7 hour sleep mark.

This is from...

Facts and Stats : Drowsy Driving – Stay Alert, Arrive Alive

Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
WildWest... Not everyone is totally miserable with their work.
Yes... I know this must be a shock to the system... But I like what I do.

I'm not your average cabbie... I realize that. But YOU have to realize that everyone is an individual. Lumping all of us into your stereotypes speaks volumes on your maturity and mindset.

I've always been the type of dude who drives places instead of flies... And in school, I could never stop yapping. As a profession, I get to cruise around, chat with people and get new and interesting perspectives and spend a decent amount of time outside in awesome weather.

I get out of my cab every pickup I make... Obviously with luggage as well. We are probably more physically active than office workers sitting all day too... Welp... I guess we are going to have to get rid of all office workers too now lol.

Sweet Jesus this thread is adorable.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 AM

399 posts, read 693,999 times
Friend was in Nashville on business...

Taxi from airport to hotel $45.
UBER from hotel to airport $18.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:05 AM
bvc

3 posts, read 2,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
One of the rules however is that you need the agreement of the other taxi companies that more capacity is needed before you can get into the taxi business.

Practically an individual is barred from the business.
that rule defies the very concept on which this country was built... I bet the idiot that approved such a rule is still taking money from the cab companies...

Old 11-15-2014, 05:15 AM
bvc

3 posts, read 2,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
As far as cab driver scheduling... once again, there is a lot of false info going onto this thread.

I have the option to work anywhere between 10-12 hours per day... since I'm not really starving for money and I like my time at home, I work 10s just about every single time I come in... that gives me a 50-52 hour work week.

There are many drivers who do this because... to put it simply... there are a lot of really lazy 12-hour drivers out there. This goes hand in hand with the "drivers are encouraged to long haul" BS... if you are out there for 10 hours actually working and not meeting up with your slob friends at the buffet every morning, you will make average.

Not to mention... the longer you stay with a company, the more say you have in what kind of shift you work. Since the turnover rate for a cabbie is insanely high, you climb that ladder very, very quick.

When I first started on Halloween of last year, I was seniority number 793
In June of 2014 I was 638
Now I am 561

So in just one year, I have shot up 232 spots... which give me a lot of control in the hours I work... already... after only a year.

Next month we bid on new shifts (we do it every six months)... I will be going down to 4 mandatory 12s... which means I get a three-day weekend every week...

Please tell me again how that is dangerous.

I'm thinking about driving a cab... is there any company that would give me the car for the hours I want?

Old 11-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
WildWest... Not everyone is totally miserable with their work.
Yes... I know this must be a shock to the system... But I like what I do.

I'm not your average cabbie... I realize that. But YOU have to realize that everyone is an individual. Lumping all of us into your stereotypes speaks volumes on your maturity and mindset.

I've always been the type of dude who drives places instead of flies... And in school, I could never stop yapping. As a profession, I get to cruise around, chat with people and get new and interesting perspectives and spend a decent amount of time outside in awesome weather.

I get out of my cab every pickup I make... Obviously with luggage as well. We are probably more physically active than office workers sitting all day too... Welp... I guess we are going to have to get rid of all office workers too now lol.

Sweet Jesus this thread is adorable.
If that works for you that's great, and I am not downgrading the drivers but the industry and owners which get away by having it their way and only their way all along. Actually, you are the one has talked negatively about your co-workers and stereotyped them.

There's nothing wrong with lumping together in statements the health of overworked drivers as a "stereotype" as you called it. This is the state of affairs in the industry you can call it fact, stereotype, reality any word you like but drivers are overworked and getting sick while being a danger to the public and themselves! PERIOD.

Someone needs to step in and stop this practice. Where are the unions,T.A., federal agencies, activists, etc?

Hoping Uber comes in and with its competition these practices will stop or at least get better

Last edited by WildWestDude; 11-15-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 11-15-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
A study by researchers in Australia showed that being awake for 18 hours produced an impairment equal to a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .05, and .10 after 24 hours; .08 is considered legally drunk.

I would think that repeated 12 hour shifts are going to push one to an equivalent worse than the 18 hour figure afther 3 or 4 days in a row. Particularly if you have something one day that forces you below the 6 or 7 hour sleep mark.

This is from...

Facts and Stats : Drowsy Driving – Stay Alert, Arrive Alive
good info, thanks for sharing

Old 11-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Today's hearing got cancelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas