Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 PM

114 posts, read 120,074 times

Advertisements

Just GTS that area - it is very pretty, and lots of open space. I don't care about cookie cutter exterior, We'll make it our own on the inside. Exterior space would be wonderful though.

So what is the buyers market like right now in LV? Is it realistic to make offers lower than listing price, or is there a buyer's war going on, and we can expect to get into a bidding war, and offer more than asking price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:57 PM

654 posts, read 1,250,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIS719 View Post
Just GTS that area - it is very pretty, and lots of open space. I don't care about cookie cutter exterior, We'll make it our own on the inside. Exterior space would be wonderful though.

So what is the buyers market like right now in LV? Is it realistic to make offers lower than listing price, or is there a buyer's war going on, and we can expect to get into a bidding war, and offer more than asking price?
The bidding wars are over for the meantime. You can ask for lower, but not too much lower, otherwise you'll just insult the seller. There are price reductions in the north, so up there you can negotiate good. In the east, I would say you can offer less ...You'll have a good shot right now through to April when things heat up again.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 PM

37 posts, read 51,430 times
We have lived on the East side since 1996. Very happy, no HOA's, we walk at night, know our neighbors, and rarely see any type of crime in our little development off of Bonaza just east of Sloan. I wouldn't want move any farther west than where we r now, but anything further east is good. Traffic patterns are much better traveling from the east into town than coming in from the west, that was a major consideratiion that has kept us on the east side. BTW, we r from Podunkville.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:

Properties that are hot deals, meaning low price, decent area, and easy to flip, will sell fast with multiple offers above the list price. Bargains are hard to get. There are a lot of people with lots of money who have great connections and do this for a living. The best of the best don't ever hit the MLS.

Beware the short sale. Just in general. It can take months and months to get these done. Months! It most likely won't fit into your time frame. Yes, many are good deals. I think someone else posted today who has been waiting, cash in hand, for 7 months now.

Offer a fair price. Study the comps and the prices per SF. You will come across places that are overpriced. Many people are underwater and they are asking for what will pay off the bank and that can be more than the house is worth today.

You know about the LDS Temple area. I told you about Paradise Palms and LVCC. Google Wayne Newton's house and check out that area too. I know you want a bigger lot. Look at cul-de-sac homes with those pie shaped yards. Many times they are quite a bit bigger lot size. Check out Mcneill Estates in 89102 and the Scotch 80's. These are all cool, old Vegas type areas.

Don't let yourself fall in love with any house till it's yours! And best of luck!

Old 12-13-2014, 05:53 AM

You know about the LDS Temple area. I told you about Paradise Palms and LVCC. Google Wayne Newton's house and check out that area too. I know you want a bigger lot. Look at cul-de-sac homes with those pie shaped yards. Many times they are quite a bit bigger lot size. Check out Mcneill Estates in 89102 and the Scotch 80's. These are all cool, old Vegas type areas.

Don't let yourself fall in love with any house till it's yours! And best of luck![/quote]

We had been looking at Zillow, using the aerial view map, looking at areas that appeared to have open spaces near them, and looking at the prices. A real estate agent of mine (in VA) advised us to get off Zillow, as it does not provide accurate information. So we will definitely seek out a real estate agent. Hopefully, we will get a good one. Not falling in love is the key Yellowsnow - been there, done that in the past and it's just too stressful.

Regarding Paradise Palms, the only thing that comes up when I type it into Google maps is an apartment complex. Is that what you meant, or is there an area/housing development called Paradise Palms? Also, Ive heard about the Scotch 80's before... possibly from you, we will need to check that out.

As it stands right now, I have employment potentials near the Strip area, SW LV, and NW LV. If we happen to find a place on the East side, would it be realistic to get to the SW or NW area of town in 30 minutes?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:13 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:

Don't let yourself fall in love with any house till it's yours! And best of luck!
We had been looking at Zillow, using the aerial view map, looking at areas that appeared to have open spaces near them, and looking at the prices. A real estate agent of mine (in VA) advised us to get off Zillow, as it does not provide accurate information. So we will definitely seek out a real estate agent. Hopefully, we will get a good one. Not falling in love is the key Yellowsnow - been there, done that in the past and it's just too stressful.

Regarding Paradise Palms, the only thing that comes up when I type it into Google maps is an apartment complex. Is that what you meant, or is there an area/housing development called Paradise Palms? Also, Ive heard about the Scotch 80's before... possibly from you, we will need to check that out.

As it stands right now, I have employment potentials near the Strip area, SW LV, and NW LV. If we happen to find a place on the East side, would it be realistic to get to the SW or NW area of town in 30 minutes?[/quote]

Here is a website for you regarding Paradise Palms neighborhood Paradise Palms

Also, their Wikipedia article Paradise Palms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-13-2014, 10:37 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:

As it stands right now, I have employment potentials near the Strip area, SW LV, and NW LV. If we happen to find a place on the East side, would it be realistic to get to the SW or NW area of town in 30 minutes?[/quote]

You may want to take a look at Spring Valley. There are some older neighborhoods with larger lots and trees, and it's convenient to all of the areas you mentioned as far as your employment prospects.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
As it stands right now, I have employment potentials near the Strip area, SW LV, and NW LV. If we happen to find a place on the East side, would it be realistic to get to the SW or NW area of town in 30 minutes?

Not at all realistic.

It takes me 30 minutes to get to the Strip. And that's making good time. But I don't have to deal with passing jumbo jets, highway noise, or air pollution. And when I do commute the sun is at my back in both directions.

But living on the extreme WEST side of the valley means cooler temperatures and more rain. So there's that. There is ALWAYS a trade-off.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:

My favorite for looking at homes is Ziprealty.com. They do assign you an agent but I just tell them it's something I am considering and leave it at that.

Paradise Palms is in 89169. Be prepared to be blown away... VERY close to Desert Springs Hospital too!

https://www.google.com/search?q=para...Q&ved=0CDIQsAQ

Paradise Palms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Midcentury Paradise Palms, A History of Glamour and Gangsters - CityScapes - Curbed National

Uncle Jack's Very Vintage Vegas – Mid Century Modern Homes, Historic Las Vegas Neighborhoods, Las Vegas History and Urban Living by Jack LeVineParadise Palms

Scotch 80's

https://www.google.com/search?q=scot...A&ved=0CDAQsAQ

Hidden Gems of the Scotch 80s

Scotch 80's neighborhood in Las Vegas

McNeil Estates

Uncle Jack's Very Vintage Vegas – Mid Century Modern Homes, Historic Las Vegas Neighborhoods, Las Vegas History and Urban Living by Jack LeVineMcNeil

McNeil Estates Historic Las Vegas Homes For Sale DOWNTOWN

My area is much more urban than Scoops. The closest cross streets are Flamingo and Mountain Vista. From my house it's about 15 min to the airport or the strip. Desert Springs Hospital is 10 minutes away. It could be longer if there is more traffic than usual.

Have fun reading!

Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 AM

Thank you Yellowsnow! I actually stumbled upon Uncle Jack's Very Vintage Vegas, but only read a bit of it, so I'll have to go back.

I looked around (Google mapping) at Scotch 80 and McNeill, and those really are very charming neighborhoods! We will definitely be checking those out with a realtor. The yard sizes are very nice, great looking little houses, and the neighborhoods look like perfect places to go for a run, or take the dog for a walk - love it! My BF mentioned last night that he still wants to check out the East side as well, even though he has been advised against it (checking with other pilots who live in LV - they all suggest the planned community areas, which are not his thing at all - I just worry about the commute. Also, he mentioned something I for so reason didn't think about. In the neighborhoods like Scotch 80, McNeill, and Paradise Palms, while they are conveniently located for both of us to get to work, is there a lot of noise pollution from the airport? Are they far enough away that will we be able to enjoy our nice backyard without being deafened by constant soaring jets?

I will be in town briefly next week and will have just a little bit of time to drive around and take a peek, but those neighborhoods are on my list to drive through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas