Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,879 times

Advertisements

I just received my bachlors degree and am looking to get licensed in teaching. Does anyone know of any colleges that offer great teaching incentives? I've heard that they have good ones, but when I called UNLV they acted like there weren't??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
The CCSD has some fast track licensure programs through UNLV, Nevada State College and University of Phoenix. UNLV used to have a licensure program that allowed you to earn a Master's Degree after you begin working, but I think they may have terminated this program. I'd check the jobs page at ccsd.net

Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM

57 posts, read 134,773 times
Yeah, there's the ARL (alternate route to licensure) program, you can read about it on ccsd.net - but it isn't as cheap as it used to be. I also read about a one year master of education course offered by BYU which could also be an option.

I'm currently subbing in Vegas (my degree is in journalism) and it isn't too bad. One thing I will warn you about if you get into teaching here - research your school carefully. The difference between schools in the Northeast and East zones and the ones in the nicer areas is quite simply astounding. I have subbed all around the valley and the extra $20 they pay you to go east or NE just isn't worth the day of bashing your head against the wall trying to control kids who simply don't care, with parents who care even less. By comparison, a day in a Southwest school is a breeze, I can actually run classes, teach things and if the kids are doing a test or something - read a book quietly.

My wife is a "real" teacher out east, so it's at least been a comfort to her that my experiences at other schools in the same zone are the same as her daily experiences.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
i went to a school in the NE and a school in Henderson...the kids in the honors classes acted the same and the kids in the regular classes were mostly the ones with problems...IN BOTH SCHOOLS!!!!!!!

it all depends which set of kids you get...

Old 01-05-2008, 03:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
By comparison, a day in a Southwest school is a breeze, I can actually run classes, teach things and if the kids are doing a test or something - read a book quietly.
Yes. The schools in Summerlin tend to be good quality, as well as most of the schools in Henderson.

Obviously, honors students tend to be more motivated than regular students, but that's a nationwide trend. Teachers sometimes have to push their regular classes a little bit more, but it usually works out okay. I don't quite get what you (lvkewlkid) mean when you say that regular students have "problems". That's a vast stereotype, and one that doesn't even make sense. Are you calling them retarded?

Old 01-05-2008, 03:22 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
i'm not calling them retarded, i'm just saying that first of all it depends which kids you are scheduled to teach first...honors students are basically the same at every school and so are the other kids as well, no matter what area...

Old 01-05-2008, 03:30 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I don't quite get what you (lvkewlkid) mean when you say that regular students have "problems". That's a vast stereotype, and one that doesn't even make sense. Are you calling them retarded?
It's also a stereotype to say that the kids on a particular side of town are difficult to teach. This is something that should be discussed on a class by class basis or a student by student basis. It's a slippery slope that ends with comments like minorities or the poor are harder to teach.

Obviously, subs have the freedom to take only the jobs they want, but I disagree with the notion that any job east of this street or north of that street will be bad.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:52 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
That and I think Substitute Teachers have it harder from 'students' in gereral. It's been awhile since I've been in high school, but we looked forward to substitude day because we knew we weren't going to learn anything new, that the sub didn't have their degree in the subject they were subbing for, that there would be no homework, etc... But, we weren't uncontrollable because that earned us a visit to the VP's office for a crack on the bum!

My wife is going through the Troops to Teachers Program right now and plans to teach next school year. She has been in touch with the Clark County School District who in turn sent her information on beginning her teachers certification right now, to be guaranteed a job up to 24 months in advance, etc... We'll meet with them next month while in Vegas and have more to post upon our return.

Right now if looking for teachers certification, I would get in touch with CCSD and you'll see the online certification courses. Good Luck.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
i'm not calling them retarded, i'm just saying that first of all it depends which kids you are scheduled to teach first...honors students are basically the same at every school and so are the other kids as well, no matter what area...
What are the demographics of "honor students"? Does family income, or ethnicicity have a bearing on "honor student" status?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
What are the demographics of "honor students"? Does family income, or ethnicicity have a bearing on "honor student" status?
I worked at a school district in CA and the "honor students" were Asian Indian or Chinese for the most part. Income really didn't play too much of a factor but it seemed more of a cultural doctrine. If you look at most tech firms in Silicon Valley they are domiated by Indian/Pakistani or Chinese/Tiawan based from an engineering point of view (software and hardware)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas