Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I'm placing my bets on the Yes vote! Promising more parks in Bob Coffin's district, I think that's going to do it! Once, a staunch opponent, it looks like they've won him over!

And Oscar Goodman can go to his grave, or crematorium, with a big smile on his face, his biggest dream for Las Vegas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm placing my bets on the Yes vote! Promising more parks in Bob Coffin's district, I think that's going to do it! Once, a staunch opponent, it looks like they've won him over!

And Oscar Goodman can go to his grave, or crematorium, with a big smile on his face, his biggest dream for Las Vegas!
I have nothing against the project, but it doesn't sound like the MLS is taking Las Vegas seriously. They should still keep this all lined up because I am sure there will be existing franchises available for relocation not too long after this expansion team starts up.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 AM

347 posts, read 511,646 times
Excellent news if they can make it happen.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,341 times
No thanks, please keep the city focused on NHL.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
No thanks, please keep the city focused on NHL.
This is the City's baby. Actually I think its a good thing to have both involved at the same time. No one is treating this as an either/or situation as they might if the NBA was seriously involved at this time too. Both groups are demonstrating the viability of the city to host a team and I believe they both are bringing out the interest from locals to say its time to end the minor league status of the town.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
This is the City's baby. Actually I think its a good thing to have both involved at the same time. No one is treating this as an either/or situation as they might if the NBA was seriously involved at this time too. Both groups are demonstrating the viability of the city to host a team and I believe they both are bringing out the interest from locals to say its time to end the minor league status of the town.
Definitely agree that the era of the minor league stuff needed to end... I believe we are the only city left with a metro area of over two million people that doesn't have a pro team within the area. Very frustrating...
Also sick of listening to all the naysayers bashing Vegas and claiming we can't support a team.

The thing that concerns me about the soccer stadium is the land it's going to eat up downtown.
Think about that area... Performing arts center, discovery children's museum, north premium outlets... That area has become extremely valuable to our city... Yet we want to fill most of it up with a stadium that will be used maybe 20-25 times a year?
Trust me, I'm a huuuuge sports freak, but even I find that to be kind of a waste.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:23 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
P-A-S-S-E-D!!! On a 4-3 vote!!! Anyone surprised?

Now we just need a team!

You know all too well Oscar is celebrating tonite with a few martini's! His last dream come true!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
P-A-S-S-E-D!!! On a 4-3 vote!!! Anyone surprised?

Now we just need a team!

You know all too well Oscar is celebrating tonite with a few martini's! His last dream come true!
I'm actually a bit surprised that it went through... 50 million is a lot to dump on taxpayers... And I'm a huge sports fan.
MLS isn't a very successful league overall. I believe it actually bleeds money.
It's true that it will provide some additional jobs to the area, but I'm just not very excited about MLS.
They are going to have to do something with the rest of the land surrounding the stadium then. They need some kind of a bar/restaurant district... What would be huge is building something very similar to the Hofbrahaus (probably seriously jacked up the spelling on that one) that's by the Hard Rock somewhere very close to the stadium.
A new tower or two in the downtown area would be nice too, but now I'm just getting greedy.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 AM

687 posts, read 1,944,174 times
This thing is a massive giveaway that will continue to drain the residents and visitors for years to come. The developers scored big time. It's my understanding that they were given the land for free. The parking garage is being built by the city and the developers keep the revenue. This sweetheart deal is incredible. On top of all that, these soccer stadiums have dismal track records as economic successes. I hope the voters remember this come election time and give Goodman the boot along with her three sympaticos.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 AM

222 posts, read 225,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Definitely agree that the era of the minor league stuff needed to end... I believe we are the only city left with a metro area of over two million people that doesn't have a pro team within the area. /
very true, unless you're willing to count the Inland Empire metro, in which case we'd be a rather distant 2nd. Certainly we are the most populous metro among states with no pro teams whatsoever.

I want an MLS team!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: