Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:08 PM

194 posts, read 148,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Yep, that clears things up...
LOL! Yeah, he's not making much sense to me either. You're not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,103 times
I think his question is boiling down to, can a gambling town handle a sports team... Or the whole worry of fixing games and such...

New Jersey has an insane amount of sports and gambling within the state. Two NfL teams, hockey...

If someone really wants to fix sports, they are going to find ways to accomplish it no matter where they are.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I think his question is boiling down to, can a gambling town handle a sports team... Or the whole worry of fixing games and such...

New Jersey has an insane amount of sports and gambling within the state. Two NfL teams, hockey...

If someone really wants to fix sports, they are going to find ways to accomplish it no matter where they are.
Not to mention the NBA commissioner sure sounds like a proponent of legal sports betting. The argument is pretty much gone about fixing and such, players make way too much money to be open to fixing games. The real concern is how do you turn people accustomed to being bettors into true fans who stay loyal through thick and thin. It's not to be taken lightly. Imagine a Vegas NBA team goes 20-62 in a season. Many fans will openly say I won't go to the games, but I love making money by betting against them. I can totally see it happening.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:37 AM

827 posts, read 631,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I think his question is boiling down to, can a gambling town handle a sports team
Yeah, thanks, it's exactly what i wanted to ask. Sorry for my poor english

Old 12-20-2014, 02:40 AM

827 posts, read 631,156 times
Maybe the locals will not turn into true fan. But Vegas have a huge potential of fan outside the US. The city is famous everywhere and represent a kind of dream.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Yeah, thanks, it's exactly what i wanted to ask. Sorry for my poor english
No need to apologize. It just sounded really funny, and then the sarcastic reply by Raiderman topped it off My Spanish is f*cked up and I get laughed at all the time when I **try** to speak it. Your English is better than my Spanish for sure.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
I do not get the appeal of sports so I will see myself back out.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I do not get the appeal of sports so I will see myself back out.
Ever play sports when you were young?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:23 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Ever play sports when you were young?

I made the basketball team, and I played some softball. A game or two of touch football.

ALL my classmates throughout school were huge sports fans. I tried forcing myself to watch all of them, and I was bored out of my mind. My mother is a huge Browns fan and watched all their games. I hated football season lol. Now all my coworkers talk about sports constantly. It's just, why? Playing sports yourself isn't too bad, but watching others play? I'd rather an unsedated trepanation with a rusty corkscrew.
These guys are blowing 3-400 bucks on A ticket, and gas or airfare, and food/drinks to watch men in tights play with balls.

To stay on topic, I hope Las Vegas never gets any professional sports teams.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I made the basketball team, and I played some softball. A game or two of touch football.

ALL my classmates throughout school were huge sports fans. I tried forcing myself to watch all of them, and I was bored out of my mind. My mother is a huge Browns fan and watched all their games. I hated football season lol. Now all my coworkers talk about sports constantly. It's just, why? Playing sports yourself isn't too bad, but watching others play? I'd rather an unsedated trepanation with a rusty corkscrew.
These guys are blowing 3-400 bucks on A ticket, and gas or airfare, and food/drinks to watch men in tights play with balls.

To stay on topic, I hope Las Vegas never gets any professional sports teams.
Out of curiosity are you a female? And secondly why do you hope LV never gets a professional sports team? Because of the GMO food and drink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: