Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times

Advertisements

The USDA, the NIH, and FDA all approve the GMO crops. You know who works in the US Governmemt? My uncle, your cousin, some joe's brother or sister. You GMO conspiracists are truly nuts.

Monsanto employees all eat their own GMO crops. My grandmother lived till 95. She bought zero organic food.

Have you ever tried to farm? Weeds are the biggest obstacle stealing all the nutrients. Quit whining and go out and farm. You will see how difficult it is. Technology is not evil. Organic crops will go through their own mutation. In fact, a species of plant will be required to mutate to survivce.

Where you get your study information? I got mine from the NIH/FDA/USDA which gives grants to unbias research.

Las Vegas doesn't care about GMO.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:40 PM

194 posts, read 148,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
The USDA, the NIH, and FDA all approve the GMO crops. You know who works in the US Governmemt? My uncle, your cousin, some joe's brother or sister. You GMO conspiracists are truly nuts.

Monsanto employees all eat their own GMO crops. My grandmother lived till 95. She bought zero organic food.

Have you ever tried to farm? Weeds are the biggest obstacle stealing all the nutrients. Quit whining and go out and farm. You will see how difficult it is. Technology is not evil. Organic crops will go through their own mutation. In fact, a species of plant will be required to mutate to survivce.

Where you get your study information? I got mine from the NIH/FDA/USDA which gives grants to unbias research.

Oh you mean the same FDA that basically takes Monsanto's word for it that GMO's are safe based on Monsanto's own studies, which couldn't possibly be biased . (There are also former Monsanto employees that now work for the FDA, go figure.) You mean the same FDA and USDA that allowed Alosetron, Ardeparin, Livamisole, and a number of other harmful drugs and food additives before they were forced to have it pulled as a result of people dying from them, you mean that FDA and USDA? The American government does not have a very good tract record of protecting Americans from dangerous chemicals, drugs, and food additives.... So, bad example.

As far as your grandmother, that's the exception and not the rule. There are also people who smoke cigarettes and eat cheeseburgers everyday and live to be very old, but again that's not the rule. If you want to eat GMO's I definitely won't try and stop you But you don't have a right to tell me I shouldn't know what I'm putting into my body. There is a strand of GMO corn where the insecticide grows within it so that when bugs try and eat it, the insecticide explodes their guts. I as a consumer have the right to make the choice for myself as to whether or not I want to consume such a strand of corn where insecticide grows inside of it. The fact Monsanto is so against the labeling of GMO's and keeping people ignorant is telling. I mean most companies are happy to tell you that their technology is in a product, but not Monsanto, they want to hide it.... That's very curious.

In case anyone was wondering, this is my post that winter-rabbit was replying to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoodWayOfDoingThat View Post
I would think if Nevadans don't like people telling them what to eat, they would take issue with Monsanto telling them that they have less of a right to know what they're putting inside their own bodies than Monsanto does.

There's exactly zero evidence to support the claim that GMO's produce higher yields. The only reason so many farmers are switching to GMO crops is because it's cheaper for them to buy Monsanto's seed and insecticide so they can absolutely douse their crops with said insecticide without killing the crop itself, which you can't do with organic unless you want to kill the plant as well. Too much insecticide on the foods we eat and in the environment is not a good thing, it actually contradicts the original statement that Monsanto made about their crops needing less insecticide. They're actually requiring more and more insecticide as a result of the "super weeds" developing as a result of the crops adjusting to being over sprayed with Monsanto's synthetic pesticide, do some research.

Food companies rarely do things because it's healthier for the consumer or society for that matter, they make their decisions based on what's healthiest for their wallets, irregardless of how it adversely affects the consumer. By "the most advanced civilizations" you mean the most greedy European civilizations. If world hunger was their real concern, the UN could put together 0.7 percent of their wealth and end world hunger today.... without Monsanto, so don't give me that pseudo altruistic bull sh*t excuse. OK?

In fact most independent and unbiased studies show that GMO crops produce less crops and are potentially harmful for the aforementioned reasons... Not to mention the strong correlation to infertility, impotence, hormonal imbalances, food allergy, obesity, diabetes, cancers, etc.... Again, there is exactly zero evidence to support any of your claims.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:26 PM

848 posts, read 648,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post

I am against GMO crops, and I think the tactic to resort to insulting those who are against them by calling them "GMO conspiracists" and "truly nuts" is uncalled for. In fact, I would hazard a guess that many of those who oppose GMO crops are well-educated individuals.

I would recommend that you do some more research on Monsanto and the role former employees of that company play in the government agencies you mention. The following articles are quite informative:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...135253110.html

The Monsanto Menace | Village Voice

Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
I love people who say they only buy organic.... Check out the rules for labeling things organic.. Some of them make what is l;labeled worse than other things to eat...

Old 12-21-2014, 12:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
We'd not have any food? Lol, that's a gross over generalization. Furthermore, did you read what exactly I said was harmful about most GMO's?
EA is right -- human kind has been genetically modifying food since we discovered agriculture. You simply would not recognize corn, potatoes, and most vegetables as they grew originally. Selective breeding is genetic modification, the slow way. We've been at it for 10,000 years. And now we have the kind of corn that we recognize, instead of the inch-long stuff the way nature started it.

I'm completely against gene-splicing food (we are screwing around with forces that we don't fully understand -- we could really botch the environment, BUT GOOD if something goes wrong.) But I am unaware of any Las Vegas anti-GMO movement, big or small. (And it's likely that if someone ever starts such a group, my phone will ring.)

People here don't care. And I doubt they ever will.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:02 AM

116 posts, read 126,979 times
Quote:
Are there any large anti-GMO campaigns going on in LV? Are people aware of GMO's in LV, and more importantly are there any groups who care?
No. Your not going to find anything like that in Vegas outside of a VERY small hipster community. The Democrats your going to find here are more like the Democrats of the 50's and 60's. More of a union type mentality of personal economics. Your not going to find any people with Slayer t-shirts running down the street smashing windows protesting G8 meetings, no new libs, no social justice warriors. Just poor working people who want more for them.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:02 AM

194 posts, read 148,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I love people who say they only buy organic.... Check out the rules for labeling things organic.. Some of them make what is l;labeled worse than other things to eat...
You're correct, unless it's USDA Organic than it very well might be GMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
EA is right -- human kind has been genetically modifying food since we discovered agriculture. You simply would not recognize corn, potatoes, and most vegetables as they grew originally. Selective breeding is genetic modification, the slow way. We've been at it for 10,000 years. And now we have the kind of corn that we recognize, instead of the inch-long stuff the way nature started it.

I'm completely against gene-splicing food (we are screwing around with forces that we don't fully understand -- we could really botch the environment, BUT GOOD if something goes wrong.) But I am unaware of any Las Vegas anti-GMO movement, big or small. (And it's likely that if someone ever starts such a group, my phone will ring.)

People here don't care. And I doubt they ever will.
No, humans have not been modifying foods and dousing them with harmful pesticides as they're doing today. As I've stated before, eat whatever you want to eat, that's your right. My right is to know what I'm putting inside my body.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:26 AM

66 posts, read 77,092 times
I saw a giant billboard that says "We hate GMO" and that's how I found El Dorado Cantina. That grandstand seemed to work as they have quite a lot of following.

El Dorado Cantina - Las Vegas, NV | Yelp

I also found a Facebook page called "GMO-free Las Vegas" I don't think that's active though.

https://www.facebook.com/GmoFreeLasVegas

Italy, Austria, France, Germany, Spain and other EU countries ban or call for moratorium at least part of GMO produce. I think it would be a broad statement if we say "GMO is safe" when the world's fear is apparent.

Countries & Regions With GE Food/Crop Bans

Also in Japan, while GMO is not banned, ingredients are labeled as "Potato (not GMO)" so it's easy to spot if you choose to not eat GMO. I don't care that much about GMO personally, but when I see the label I tend to pick non-GMO products.

It's understandable Monsanto fears just that, vehemently denying labeling requirement, because they know how consumers will react.

GMO OMG

Old 12-21-2014, 10:39 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Well having lived thru heart surgery when I was 3 and having had eye implants, and various other operations thru out my life, At times I think I am lucky to be alive.. So with that in mind I am going to eat what I like... I do not smoke never have, occasionally drink alcohol and do not do drugs... I enjoy eating... And will do that until I die eating what I like...

I am not concerned with what is in the food as I figure I am alive luckily anyway and besides I could eat perfect and get hit by a car and die.... So what's the point.. If others want to watch what they eat that great, just don't push it on me like they do religion...

Now as far as everyone being concerned what is in their food, please remember that the ground has nuclear radiation in it that no one can get rid of.. So even if you grow perfect food it will still have things in it from the soil....

Old 12-21-2014, 10:50 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
I read awhile back that the big beer companies threw an absolute fit when a farmer wanted to grow some GMO crops nearby. They did not want cross contamination with their crops.

I found that interesting. Maybe Anheiser Busch knows something we don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: