Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 11:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I read awhile back that the big beer companies threw an absolute fit when a farmer wanted to grow some GMO crops nearby. They did not want cross contamination with their crops.

I found that interesting. Maybe Anheiser Busch knows something we don't.

Since the barley is unlikely to be affected, A-B was probably concerned about all the roundup being sprayed into the soil.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:31 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I read awhile back that the big beer companies threw an absolute fit when a farmer wanted to grow some GMO crops nearby. They did not want cross contamination with their crops.

I found that interesting. Maybe Anheiser Busch knows something we don't.
Amheiser-Busch knows that they will be owned by Montesano if their "patented" seed cross-contaminates/pollinates in their field. The GMO is a small part of the problem. The fact that Montesano is able to control other people by way of patents and the uncontrollable way the wind blows scares the bejeezus out of me and what I'm able to eat.

Last edited by MAXIALE02; 12-21-2014 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: changed from licensed to patented

Old 12-21-2014, 12:00 PM

194 posts, read 148,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Well having lived thru heart surgery when I was 3 and having had eye implants, and various other operations thru out my life, At times I think I am lucky to be alive.. So with that in mind I am going to eat what I like... I do not smoke never have, occasionally drink alcohol and do not do drugs... I enjoy eating... And will do that until I die eating what I like...

I am not concerned with what is in the food as I figure I am alive luckily anyway and besides I could eat perfect and get hit by a car and die.... So what's the point.. If others want to watch what they eat that great, just don't push it on me like they do religion...

Now as far as everyone being concerned what is in their food, please remember that the ground has nuclear radiation in it that no one can get rid of.. So even if you grow perfect food it will still have things in it from the soil....
Congratulation on making through heart surgery. I'm hearing a lot straw man arguments that have nothing to do with what I'm saying. If you want to eat GMO's after being informed of the possible dangers, then I believe that's your right and I think it would be wrong for me or anyone else to try and stop you. What I'm saying is people have the right to know what they're putting inside their own body and whether or not they feel it's safe. That decision shouldn't be up to some large corporation or corporations dictating to others what they should and should not be eating, that's why I think labeling is the right thing to do, so that the people who care about avoiding GMO's are informed, and the people who don't care can continue to eat Monsantos poison, I mean food

Old 12-21-2014, 12:26 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
I think you read about farmer Joe who got sued by Monsanto? It turned out he harvested seeds and was selling it illegally. It wasn't because his fields got contaminated.

Besides, most Monsanto seeds are terminating seeds. You can only use it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Amheiser-Busch knows that they will be owned by Montesano if their "patented" seed cross-contaminates/pollinates in their field. The GMO is a small part of the problem. The fact that Montesano is able to control other people by way of patents and the uncontrollable way the wind blows scares the bejeezus out of me and what I'm able to eat.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:36 PM

I avoid all opinion pieces.

For facts, read what the Feds publish. Can't trust the Feds? Who can you trust? Some blogger or forum posts?

Here's one of hundreds you can find:

Comparative safety testing of genetically modified foods in a 90-day rat feeding study design allowing the distinction between primary and secondary effects of the new genetic event.

Comparative safety testing of genetically modified foods in a 90-da... - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
I am against GMO crops, and I think the tactic to resort to insulting those who are against them by calling them "GMO conspiracists" and "truly nuts" is uncalled for. In fact, I would hazard a guess that many of those who oppose GMO crops are well-educated individuals.

I would recommend that you do some more research on Monsanto and the role former employees of that company play in the government agencies you mention. The following articles are quite informative:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...135253110.html

The Monsanto Menace | Village Voice

Old 12-21-2014, 12:54 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Winter Rabbit- maybe so on the Farmer John. But it still makes me uncomfortable. You do realize these people running these gov't agencies were recruited from the private sector and are basically bed buddies. To each his own and that is why I like Nevada.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 PM

194 posts, read 148,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Winter Rabbit- maybe so on the Farmer John. But it still makes me uncomfortable. You do realize these people running these gov't agencies were recruited from the private sector and are basically bed buddies. To each his own and that is why I like Nevada.
I've already tried to explain to him that Monsanto has their insurgents working within the government and they give them hand outs to ensure certain laws get passed. Some people will never understand and will always believe they have the right to tell you how to live your life. GMO's should be labeled so the people who want to avoid them can, and the people who don't care can continue eating them. It's not that hard to understand.

Also, that test wasn't nearly long enough to be definitive and most testing that the government accepts concerning the safety of GMO's is based on Monsanto's own research. There's certainly no conflict of interest there!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Hey look, my wife just made some stew with GMO potatoes, carrots, and corn! I am still alive!!! LOL

Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Monsanto and Anheiser Busch (InBev) seem to get along just fine with both having headquarters in St Louis, Mo.

Las Vegas has much bigger worries then GMO products.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 PM

People forget the EPA is very strict in regulating pesticide in soil.

EPA's Regulation of Biotechnology for Use in Pest Management | Pesticides | US EPA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: