Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times

Advertisements

My clinic adminstrator is an RN and finishing up her masters in Healthcare Admin. It is almost impossible in my company to get an FA position without your RN. You would need multiples degrees to even be considered without your RN. I stand by what I said that that degree is not worth it unless you have masters. Look at some jobs and their requirements on Indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 03:24 PM

20 posts, read 22,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
My clinic adminstrator is an RN and finishing up her masters in Healthcare Admin. It is almost impossible in my company to get an FA position without your RN. You would need multiples degrees to even be considered without your RN. I stand by what I said that that degree is not worth it unless you have masters. Look at some jobs and their requirements on Indeed.
Thank you for this information!
It seems like all majors I think of at UNLV there are a lot of cons.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:36 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
I think in order to be administrative you have to have experience in your field and then show that you have earned the credentials. It puzzles me that people major in health-care administration with no prior hospital experience and expect to be hired.

Years back I had a co-worker trying to be the director but was passed over many times until she finished her masters. There is so many qualified people to choose from. Getting into administration is harder than you'd think. The only medical worker shortage that I know of are MDs. Not many people choose to go after that.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I think in order to be administrative you have to have experience in your field and then show that you have earned the credentials. It puzzles me that people major in health-care administration with no prior hospital experience and expect to be hired.

Years back I had a co-worker trying to be the director but was passed over many times until she finished her masters. There is so many qualified people to choose from. Getting into administration is harder than you'd think. The only medical worker shortage that I know of are MDs. Not many people choose to go after that.
I don't see why one can see it so puzzling. If you're like me, who has to work to put herself through school, like many Americans are now days then you know how hard it is getting a job in the medical field while in college. Most private doctors offices or urgent care centers are open M-F leaving you with no days to attend school. These smaller centers would be where one would get into basic medical terminology, billing, and coding. I could not see a major hospital hiring someone without this knowledge.
Also, while I appreciate everyone's posts I see a lot of emphasis put on the amount of experience you must have in a field before graduation, if you are a traditional college student 18-22 you'll know that there are not many jobs you can have being that age except for retail, severs at restaurants, or jobs on campus.
I ask you all to please take that into consideration when you are all puzzled by the fact that a newly 21 year old does not have years of experience in the medical or hospitality field.
Most people my age who attend college and support themselves just try to get a position to keep the lights on, I don't know hardly anyone who attends unlv that is working directly in their field of study as of the moment. In fact, People often attend college in hopes that they will have more opportunity.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
I have four in-laws in town that work in the medical field. While going to school they ALL worked non paid internships at UMC up until graduating and even afterwards. One of them interned at UMC for over two years yet couldn't get hired on because of "no experience". So she went to Texas to gain "paid experience" while continuing to apply at UMC. Not even a full year out in Texas and she got hired at UMC.

Funny how that works.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaxhay View Post
I don't see why one can see it so puzzling. If you're like me, who has to work to put herself through school, like many Americans are now days then you know how hard it is getting a job in the medical field while in college. Most private doctors offices or urgent care centers are open M-F leaving you with no days to attend school. These smaller centers would be where one would get into basic medical terminology, billing, and coding. I could not see a major hospital hiring someone without this knowledge.
Also, while I appreciate everyone's posts I see a lot of emphasis put on the amount of experience you must have in a field before graduation, if you are a traditional college student 18-22 you'll know that there are not many jobs you can have being that age except for retail, severs at restaurants, or jobs on campus.
I ask you all to please take that into consideration when you are all puzzled by the fact that a newly 21 year old does not have years of experience in the medical or hospitality field.
Most people my age who attend college and support themselves just try to get a position to keep the lights on, I don't know hardly anyone who attends unlv that is working directly in their field of study as of the moment. In fact, People often attend college in hopes that they will have more opportunity.
Someone could start off as a medical receptionist and move up and/or be cross trained in other areas of a clinic. If a doctor wanted to they could teach anyone to be a medical assistant, or phlebotomy for example. if someone wanted to get in to medical-a CNA course at CSN is $1200. State of nevada is hiring for CNA APPROXIMATE ANNUAL SALARY - $26,830.80 to $38,523.60 not the greatest pay but there is your "in". You get your CNA pretty sure you can be a patient behavior sitter. Or what about a BST worker? 90% of the younger people I work with are going to school and pulling 3*14-16hr. shifts.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I have four in-laws in town that work in the medical field. While going to school they ALL worked non paid internships at UMC up until graduating and even afterwards. One of them interned at UMC for over two years yet couldn't get hired on because of "no experience". So she went to Texas to gain "paid experience" while continuing to apply at UMC. Not even a full year out in Texas and she got hired at UMC.

Funny how that works.
Good for you.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I believe this is the normal progression of a career. I went through the same progression. I did work study, took out loans and even lived in a family members garage (although it was converted). I do believe that today's graduates do have it harder; because there is more competition and higher course fees. Today's graduate has to find ways to distinguish themselves from a lot of people with the same credentials.

In my field we did two years of internship where we worked for free including the gas money I had to come up with to drive 40 minutes to my externship. The thought of being an administrator never crossed my mind. Fortunately with continued education that could of been an option for me.

The person who perplexed me graduated with a HCA degree but had never had a medical position and was having a hard time finding work. I wonder how many others are in her shoes.

You should spend some time on LinkedIn and peruse the resumes of health-care administrators to gain insight to what others are doing. Maybe speak with your guidance counselor and ask them what is required to achieve your goal. Good Luck in your journey.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I believe this is the normal progression of a career. I went through the same progression. I did work study, took out loans and even lived in a family members garage (although it was converted). I do believe that today's graduates do have it harder; because there is more competition and higher course fees. Today's graduate has to find ways to distinguish themselves from a lot of people with the same credentials.

In my field we did two years of internship where we worked for free including the gas money I had to come up with to drive 40 minutes to my externship. The thought of being an administrator never crossed my mind. Fortunately with continued education that could of been an option for me.

The person who perplexed me graduated with a HCA degree but had never had a medical position and was having a hard time finding work. I wonder how many others are in her shoes.

You should spend some time on LinkedIn and peruse the resumes of health-care administrators to gain insight to what others are doing. Maybe speak with your guidance counselor and ask them what is required to achieve your goal. Good Luck in your journey.

Thank you! I appreciate helpful comments like this one!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate helpful comments like this one!
I forgot to mention that I had to walk to school backwards in the snow with no shoes and uphill both ways. Bwahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: