Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:53 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,099,999 times

Advertisements

The only control over dangerous drivers are the nuts behind the wheel. Forewarned is forearmed - just knowing that you have a green light and that nut waiting to turn left will cut you off can save your life. Knowing that that nut in the onramp along side you will cut you off can save your paint job. Knowing that you're on the defense will help you stay ahead of the curve.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,128,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
The country needs to stiffen up a bit... Grow a pair.
At every drivers ed testing, they need to show a series of extremely graphic car and motorcycle accident clean up photos. Just completely mangled remains...
Then, have little phrases pop up like, "this person was drunk... This person was texting... This person was weaving through traffic with no helmet..."

Maybe then people will start respecting each other on the roads.

Driving is a privilege. It is to be taken seriously and responsibly.
Or just have people recertify their driving test every few years and add defensive driving courses also.

I had to take defensive driving training every two years in the military. It was annoying but I learned something new every time. I also had to take a driver license test in all the countries I was stationed no matter how long I previously had my license. 1/3 of the people who took the test would fail. I was in class with a guy that had his CA drivers license for over 25 years and still failed the Italian drivers test.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,811,665 times
Technology could help. For example, cell phones could detect they are in a moving automobile above, say, 25mph and disable texting. Or the automobile, above 25 mph, could jam the cell frequency in a 10 foot diameter. Or automobiles could detect they are being driven aggressively - or being raced - and call the Highway Patrol. Or disable themselves. Or detect traffic and automatically slow down. Or install ignition lockouts on all cars so drunk/high drivers can't start them. etc.

The real question, of course, is would we want to cede that much control & authority to a government? We all know driving is a privilege and not a right, but still - would we want a law enforcement officer to knock on someone's door saying in essence "Your car was being driven @ 90 MPH yesterday, and you were the driver (photo / thumbprint proof). We are here to confiscate the car, your drivers license, and take you to jail."

I suppose if that 90 MPH incident was going past an elementary school while kids are walking to school -- most people would say we need extreme measures to get such a dangerous driver off the road. If that 90 MPH was out in the desert with no one around -- not so much.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,304,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Technology could help. For example, cell phones could detect they are in a moving automobile above, say, 25mph and disable texting. Or the automobile, above 25 mph, could jam the cell frequency in a 10 foot diameter. Or automobiles could detect they are being driven aggressively - or being raced - and call the Highway Patrol. Or disable themselves. Or detect traffic and automatically slow down. Or install ignition lockouts on all cars so drunk/high drivers can't start them. etc.

The real question, of course, is would we want to cede that much control & authority to a government? We all know driving is a privilege and not a right, but still - would we want a law enforcement officer to knock on someone's door saying in essence "Your car was being driven @ 90 MPH yesterday, and you were the driver (photo / thumbprint proof). We are here to confiscate the car, your drivers license, and take you to jail."
Self driving cars will likely be realized before any of the police state rules you want could actually pass into law. These would remove the biggest hazard on the road (drivers).

Okay Google, "take me to work". I'll sleep in my chair or watch TV on the way.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,791,181 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tcXblWojdM Yus got to pay the price.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,761,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Self driving cars will likely be realized before any of the police state rules you want could actually pass into law. These would remove the biggest hazard on the road (drivers).

Okay Google, "take me to work". I'll sleep in my chair or watch TV on the way.
However, that is the timeline for the transition? Won't there be decades of overlap? The drunk tourist from Omaha is still going to try and take that Trop exit from the far left lane through our self-driving cars..

Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 AM

687 posts, read 1,939,577 times
Those promoting stricter laws, more regulations, more government oversight of their daily lives should be careful of what they ask for because they just might get it.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 AM

242 posts, read 1,000,224 times
Always wanted to figure out, it appears when it's pouring rain, many drivers speed even faster instead of slowing down. Maybe someone can help me understand why that is?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,949,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Yeah, higher insurance rates = canceling insurance = not good.

Drive down the road, watch people do incredibly stupid things. Count the number of stupid things you see.
Pick up your jaw.
You've found the REAL ROOT problem. People...are stupid. Driver's education is **** poor. The driving tests administered are laughable. Everyone should have to take a lot of classes to get their license like a pilot does. There are not a whole lot of pilot error crashes. Why? Because the training is much more rigorous.

I disagree. (Not with the people are stupid part. But with the real root of the problem part.)

Look at Germany. That's the country with the best drivers, by far. They are no smarter (and no dumber) than Americans. I've lived there for long periods of time and have driven there. (It's an absolute joy to drive on the Autobahns. Especially if you're driving a car made in Stuttgart.)

Why is Germany so great and America so awful? Germans are freaking strict about their driving laws. They treat operating a motor vehicle as a privilege, while we treat it as a right. For instance, first offense DUI, Germany confiscates the drivers vehicle, auctions it off and uses the money to fund alcoholism programs. The DUI driver doesn't get their license back until a judge orders it. That's the first offense.

Speeding, passing on the right, running YELLOW lights and similar offenses are all dealt with swiftly and strictly (Big fines on the spot. Pay the traffic cop and then wait for the major insurance increase.) Ask any US Serviceman who was stationed in Germany. They'll be HAPPY to tell you how strict the Germans are about their traffic rules.

Meanwhile, we have Ticketbusters turning moving violations into parking violations. Don't get me wrong, if I had a traffic ticket I'd use them, too. But if we adopted Germany's model, we would enjoy driving like they do.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,304,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Meanwhile, we have Ticketbusters turning moving violations into parking violations. Don't get me wrong, if I had a traffic ticket I'd use them, too. But if we adopted Germany's model, we would enjoy driving like they do.
I believe the court system is doing this automatically now, no attorney needed. At least that is what happened on my wife's last speeding ticket, automatically converted to a non-moving violation.

I think they are trying to be transparent that minor infraction tickets are solely used to generate revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas